Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does marlin have a function to do this?

Posted by Mustang66 
Does marlin have a function to do this?
February 16, 2021 04:05PM
Hi all, don't know if this is a crazy question or not.
If I had a pulley on a sliding plate driven by a stationary stepper "x" and belt looped around the pulley. Slide is pulled back and forth with another stepper "z".
The problem is when the slide is moved by the stepper "z" the pulley would turn as it moves up and down the belt.
Is there a function in marlin to turn the "x" stepper to compensate for the "z" movement to keep the pulley "x" stationary and only turn the "x" pulley when the stepper "x" turns?
Kind of like a mixer so if one moves the other moves to compensate for it.
I don't know if you can get what I mean but not sure how to say it.
Thanks
Re: Does marlin have a function to do this?
February 16, 2021 07:38PM
I guess to put it another way would be is there a way to move the x stepper a proportional amount whenever the z stepper moves?
February 16, 2021 09:09PM
That would be a change in kinematics... no magic function to change the core movement maths... you would have to change the math, like the ways corexy or delta does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2021 09:09PM by Dust.
February 17, 2021 02:26AM
This sounds rather like the CoreXZ printer developed by Nicholas Seward several years ago, except that with CoreXZ the X and Z motors both affect both X and Z axes. I don't know what firmware he used but it was likely Marlin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 02:58AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 18, 2021 07:34PM
OK, I made my printer and the x axis slides across a rail that moves up and down for the z axis. The stepper is on the rail that moves up and down so I used a 14 stepper to keep weight down when it was up high to stop any shaking. I'd like to use a 17 and mount it at bottom but can't figure out yet how to compensate for the rail moving up and down with stepper not.
February 19, 2021 02:16AM
The corresponding arrangement where X needs to be compensated for movement in Y is commonly called MarkForged kinematics.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 19, 2021 03:52AM
marlin does have //#define MARKFORGED_XY // MarkForged. See [reprap.org]

but not a XZ
February 19, 2021 03:05PM
Hum, I wonder what it would take to change it to XZ? Maybe just change all references about Y to Z?

Edit
I couldn't find any reference to markforged in my marlin. The config.h file is #####006 and I found the newest marlin config.h is #####007 and it is in there. I guess that means it was just added recently.

Is there any chance that there could be a markforge XZ in the near future? smiling bouncing smiley
I started looking at the files and since I'm not familiar with marlin it will take me a long time to get familiar with it.
Boy it would be nice if someone was working on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 04:07PM by Mustang66.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login