Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Min-Max endstops on cartesians

Min-Max endstops on cartesians
February 24, 2021 01:40PM
Hi,
this is a question that's being puzzling me for years.
Delta robots have min-max endstops on their axes, not cartesians. But this could also be usefull with cartesians. Many cartesian machine tools and other equipments have a calibration feature that makes them explore their axes, whatever they are.
I didn't find such an option in Marlin, and found no answer to this question since Marlin 1.0 ; on the web or reading sources.

Could min-max hardware endstops be used on cartesians ?

Knowing the steps/mm and the nozzle offset, other parameters can be easily calculated (extents).
Re: Min-Max endstops on cartesians
February 24, 2021 04:50PM
99.99% of 3d printers only have a single endstop per axis.
February 25, 2021 08:54AM
I'm interested in the 0.01%
I'm currently unable to test because I'm rebuilding my printer : it's in pieces.
Marlin compiles just fine with all hardware endstops activated, but reading sources didn't help. How is it supposed to behave ?
Do MAX endstops act as "safety devices", or does Marlin calculate limits using them ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2021 09:01AM by yet-another-average-joe.
February 25, 2021 06:58PM
By default neither.

the are normally used as homing switches. Ie you home to min and this sets your location of min, or you home to max and this sets the position of max. You cant even change homing direction on the fly, it needs a recompile.

It is not used to calculate anything.

Endstops aren't even looked at during move commands. (unless you tell the firmware this is what you want to do)
February 26, 2021 09:34PM
OK. Thanks !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login