Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ender 5 Pro - Configuration intrigue

Posted by OrAnGeWorX 
Ender 5 Pro - Configuration intrigue
April 20, 2021 07:17AM
Hello everyone,
I've tried looking for information regarding my "issue" to no avail.
I have an ender 5 Pro with the stock 8bit board, flashed with Marlin 2,0 BF and pretty much everything is bone stock aside from a BL Touch.
When I got the Bug Fix files along with the config examples and started to go through the fw, I noticed that it was configured with a 220x220 bed size. The bed is in fact 235x235 (magnetic bed or glass bed are that size) so I'm trying to understand the config.
I've flashed the board with 220x220 and 235x235 bed sizes and both have issues.
For both bed sizes, whether homing or bed leveling (3x3 points), the printhead is not at the correct location, not centered (Not the nozzle, nor the BL)
The smaller size bed levels in smaller area, the bigger one levels similarly, not going through the full bed size, also it has a margin... And I couldn't get it to a 0,0; top right of bed.
I've checked, compiled and flashed many different combinations but it's just weird, I haven't tried UBL, my leveling is set to bilinear
What I'd like to know:
- is there a reason the bed is downsized for the Ender 5 Pro? My TronXY X5SA-Pro is configured to use the full 330x330 so it's a tad confusing
- is the nozzle or the BL Touch tip supposed to be bed centered?
- is there a way to control the position of the probing points, margins don't seem to be behaving as I'd have expected... I've tried a few settings and none got the 3x3 probe points on the bed, best was with 1st and 2nd line ok but 3rd was entirely off bed. I've only attempted the fw build with bilinear bed levelling
- I shrunk down the firmware by removing options I don't need like SD card support, etc... Could it be that I undefined something? (I'm including my config)

I should probably stop now and come back to ask and/or answer questions.
Thanks for taking the time to read
Attachments:
open | download - Config-e5pro.zip (31.4 KB)
Re: Ender 5 Pro - Configuration intrigue
April 20, 2021 07:04PM
The reason the bed is defined as 220x220 is because the nozzle cannot actually reach the full area of the bed. In this case it's better to define a "virtual bed" that is smaller than the physical bed to ensure that you don't run into the limits by mistake.
April 21, 2021 06:48AM
MMcLure
The reason the bed is defined as 220x220 is because the nozzle cannot actually reach the full area of the bed. In this case it's better to define a "virtual bed" that is smaller than the physical bed to ensure that you don't run into the limits by mistake.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
That's incorrect (physically) because with stock firmware, the nozzle covered the whole bed (I was able to print skew test squares of almost entire bed size). With 2.0 BF and config set to 235x235, "virtual bed" margins were applied, though not defined. Basically my 0,0 is actually something closer to 15,15 and 235,235 was off the bed. and with 220x220, both origin and diagonally opposed corner (supposedly 220,220) aren't "where they're supposed to be" aside from virtual bed clearly not centered.
In either case, homing to bed center yielded different results, none with either nozzle or BLTouch probe tip anywhere near the actual bed center.

It's weird you have to software downsize the bed on the Ender Vs not on the Tronxy X5SA-Pro. Seems to me more of a config issue.

Thanks again
April 21, 2021 03:01PM
It's possible that Creality has changed the design of the Ender 5 - they have been known to constantly change things without notice. I know that many people on the Marlin discord would mention that the nozzle could _not_ physically reach the whole bed on their Ender 5s which is why the bed size was reduced for the example configurations. I am in the process of writing a document on how to set up bed limits, but at this time it only covers printers that home to Xmin/Ymin - the E5 homes to Xmax/Ymax which adds some complication to the procedure and I haven't figured it out yet.
April 21, 2021 03:54PM
MMcLure
It's possible that Creality has changed the design of the Ender 5 - they have been known to constantly change things without notice. I know that many people on the Marlin discord would mention that the nozzle could _not_ physically reach the whole bed on their Ender 5s which is why the bed size was reduced for the example configurations. I am in the process of writing a document on how to set up bed limits, but at this time it only covers printers that home to Xmin/Ymin - the E5 homes to Xmax/Ymax which adds some complication to the procedure and I haven't figured it out yet.

That seems interesting and definitely worth looking into (do you have a link for this?)
I'm confused by the Xmin/Ymin statement, my E5 homes at Xmin/Ymin (defined). Do you mean Xmax/Ymax because it homes at top right?
April 22, 2021 01:57PM
By definition, Xmin/Ymin are bottom left of the print area. For a printer that homes to top right, there are two possible ways to define things:
  1. Define the home position as Xmin/Ymin - this will result in the effective print area being rotated 180 degrees, so you need to look at the printer from the back to match the view in the slicer.
  2. Define the home position as Xmax/Ymax - this will result in a more intuitive view when comparing against the slicer results.
In general, option b) is preferred, since option a) can lead to confusion when setting up things like probe offsets (if you set up the probe offsets looking at the front of the printer, they will be the opposite of what they should be - you need to look at the back of the printer to make them correct).
I believe Creality originally used option a) for their configuration, and this bled into the Marlin configuration repository for a while. Since then, new configurations for the E5 have been uploaded to Marlin that use the more correct option b).
April 23, 2021 01:15PM
Hello again and thanks for responding and the explanation.
More on that though, if I may.
In regards to a. it was initially set like that, stock from Creality. I did everything upside down. But when I went over my (marlin 2 bugfix) config, I file compared with the example config (which mine was built upon). Only difference is one was downloaded 2 days ago, the other about 6 weeks ago. Not sure how to check what changed but there was a days-old update on several files. I'm getting the archive directly from the marlin git, making sure I'm on the correct branch.
My config had USE_XMIN_PLUG and USE_YMIN_PLUG enabled VS USE_XMAX_PLUG and USE_YMAX_PLUG in the "new" file.
Oddly, ABM won't finish the build... sanity check triggered > \marlin\src\inc\SanityCheck.h:2076:8: error: #error "Enable USE_XMIN_PLUG when homing X to MIN."... Must be missing an inversion somewhere.
For b. I can see the benefit in this way for this printer specifically as top of the bed is the stable/supported end due to the single Z design. That might also simplify setting and configuring the 235x235 bed by adjusting the endstop location I assume.

I'm going to do some testing and get back to you.

Thanks again
April 23, 2021 04:32PM
April 29, 2021 03:38PM
Hi there, i had some experience with this.

i will even add my configfiles so you can check em.

The fact is the ender 5 (pro) has it's zero point at the back right , the place where it homes. Now the configs that get delivered with marlin for ender 5 are WRONG. they move the home point to the front left, again this is wrong.

You can check out either the configfiles or flash the firmware i compiled for my ender 5 pro , from the latest 2.0.x bugfix branch.

github page with ender 5 firmware + configfiles

i made the firmware for a stock ender 5, so no bltouch or others and no fillament runnout, it was made for the 4.2.2 board with all latest options and it works great for me, even with the Unified bed leveling being done manually.

So just check those configfiles if you want to know how to config the ender 5 axis movements like it comes stock from china.

personally after checking your config, are you sure the nozzle offset values are correct ? i think you have them reversed, they should go + and not -. with - this means your probe is to the right of your nozzle which would be an odd config, most are to the left of the nozzle. and so you might never get to 0.0 home position because the nozzle offset is in the way to get at 0.0 home position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2021 04:00PM by gignoot.
April 29, 2021 08:01PM
@gignoot

0,0 Position for a 3d printer officially can be at either front left of back right.

By convention everyone uses front left. and has done for last 10 years.

All slicing software uses this
all gcode visualiser use this
Marlin presumes this, and all settings are based around this.

Creality was wrong to use back right for 0,0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2021 08:01PM by Dust.
April 30, 2021 08:23PM
If Creality designed it this way, then who are you or we or me to argue they did it wrong,

You and everyone else just has to accept the fact the ender 5 and pro versions have their home point of 0.0 at the back right. Period.

It is what it is. making it front left is what messes up everything.

greetings.
April 18, 2022 05:29PM
I'm bringing up this old thread because I have a similar issue.
I was running marlin bugfix downloaded and compiled in early 2021. I recently installed a Creality CR-Touch on my Ender-5, then downloaded and compiled bugfix 2.0.9.3 to activate it.
The axis move in the correct direction (i.e. on the LCD I move X to the right and it moves right), it homes at the back-right corner like (I assume) all Creality printers, but when I start printing the whole bed is rotated 180 degrees compared to what I see in the slicer.
Before it used to make the purge line along the left edge of the bed, now it's on the right, everything works but it's rotated.

in configuration.h I have

#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

#define X_BED_SIZE 230
#define Y_BED_SIZE 230

#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
#define X_MAX_POS X_BED_SIZE
#define Y_MAX_POS Y_BED_SIZE
#define Z_MAX_POS 170

I tried reversing home_dir but compiling failed because I would need to reverse the hardware endstop positions.
Any idea on how to turn the print?
Thank you,
Guido
April 18, 2022 06:14PM
Question
normally when the print is shifted 180 out of phase, when you print letters are they reversed, Or mirror image to be correctly stated..

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
April 18, 2022 10:53PM
I'm confused. Let's get back to basics.
  1. ...Homing just sets the head to a known location. It doesn't matter if out turns out to be 0,0 or 235, 235 or ...
  2. ...Decide where you want 0.0. Front left is nice just because the displays in the slicers assume this. Rear right is also OK. Anything else will give you a mirrored print.
  3. ...Set INVERT_*_DIR for X and Y so the steppers move in the right direction.
  4. ...If your endstop is at the minimum location, then use USE_*MIN_PLUG, set *_HOME_DIR to -1 and set *_MIN_POS to zero
  5. ...If your endstop is at the maximum location, then use USE_*MAX_PLUG, set *_HOME_DIR to 1 and set *_MAX_POS minus *_BED_SIZE to zero
  6. ...Adjust *_MIN_POS, *_MAX_POS and *_BED_SIZE so that the nozzle is at 0,0 when commanded to go to go there after homing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 10:56PM by bob.kuhn@att.net.
April 19, 2022 02:34AM
I did a quick test printing 3 non-symmetric letters GFZ and I can confirm the print is not mirrored but rotated 180 degrees.
Even the head "parks" in a 180-deg rotated position at the end of the print. It used to be X 200 and Y 0, now it's X 0 and Y 200
April 20, 2022 05:14AM
I've gone through all the basics, everything is set up properly and the axis move the way they are supposed to.
That's why I can't figure out why the print is rotated
April 20, 2022 08:36AM
If your homing to x0,y0 and that is back right on your machine, then yes all slicers will show thing rotates 180, as X0,Y0 is expected to be at front left

ie a purge line that is pictured on the left edge will be on the right edge

To set your X0,Y0 back to front left

Change
#define X_HOME_DIR 1
#define Y_HOME_DIR 1

And invert both X and Y directions
Fnd
#define INVERT_X_DIR
#define INVERT_Y_DIR

If set true make it false
If set false make it true

also disable

#define USE_XMIN_PLUG
#define USE_YMIN_PLUG

and enable
#define USE_XMAX_PLUG
#define USE_YMAX_PLUG
April 20, 2022 09:30AM
Changing the location of X0, Y0 I should change the physical location of the endstops, which I'd rather not do.

The funny thing is, with the bugfix I compiled about a year ago everything was fine, no rotation between slicer and printer.
The issue only apeared with the last bugfix (2.0.9.3) that I compiled to activate ABL
April 20, 2022 09:57AM
you do not need to change physical location of end stops

Homing moves to a known location and set the distance at that location.

It doesn't matter if its -5, 0 or 250....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login