Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I get "Heating Failed: E1 PRINTER HALTED" when reaching target temperature

Posted by asimov-solensan 
I get "Heating Failed: E1 PRINTER HALTED" when reaching target temperature
April 20, 2021 03:37PM
Hello,

This has been happening since I installed an SKR1.3 board, with marlin 2.0.

Just when the hotend is about to reach the target temperature it triggers the error. This happens randomly. If it reaches the temperature I can just run a 20h print without issue.

Here are the readings on octoprint. It failed twice and then at third try it just worked flawlessly.

[imgur.com]

Also it always trigger if I disable the hotend and then set up the same temperature again.

It isn't the thermistor or the heatpack because I tested both in the original creality board with marlin 1.3 and never got this error. Also tested with two different thermistor models (adapting the firmware) with the same result. In addition I managed to insert a thermocouple in the heatblock and get the readings from the printer and the thermometer at the same time. They where very very close as expected.

This totally seems to be some security thereshold in the firmware I need to increase but I ignore the option.

Any help is welcome.
Re: I get "Heating Failed: E1 PRINTER HALTED" when reaching target temperature
April 21, 2021 07:24AM
Hey there,
couple questions, are you using Marlin 2.0 or the Bug Fix? Also how did you compile Marlin (options/environment)? Did you grab the example config for your printer/board from the config git?
I'm using Marlin bugfix-2.0.x. And I customized the default files, anyhow I need to include the BL touch configuration and other things anyhow.

About variables and all I'm attaching the platformio.ini, configuration.h and configuration_adv.h. those are the only files I customized.

I keep thinking it just a threshold that is triggered because the thermistor is responding slower than expected.

Edit: by the way ignore the BANG_MAX option. I was just messing because I read it may be related. It is usually 255.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2021 11:06AM by asimov-solensan.
Attachments:
open | download - platformio.ini (50.8 KB)
open | download - Configuration.h (92.4 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (146.5 KB)
I think I found a solution.

Edited

#define WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD 40 // Seconds

Under

#if ENABLED(THERMAL_PROTECTION_HOTENDS)

It defaults to 20 and the file says that you can increase the value if you are getting false "Heating Failed" errors. I understand that this is the time it allows the heatblock to increase at least 2 degrees. I don't know what's the limit ti be safe, but I guess the worst case would be a thermistor deattached to the heatblock where the system would feed the heatpack for 40 seconds until it can detect the error.

I will update the thread after a week using the printer as usual.
rq3
Re: I get "Heating Failed: E1 PRINTER HALTED" when reaching target temperature
April 22, 2021 07:50PM
I often get the same error, even if I wipe my nozzle's nose during heat-up. This is a known issue with the later Marlin releases, and includes errors with PID tuning, and the maximum applied power to either the bed or the nozzle, whether bang-bang or PID.

I wouldn't expand the "safety limits" for convenience. I'd rather reset the printer and start over than have it catch fire. Once I DO get the temp to stabilize, it seems to remain so even during a multi-hour print. But that's just my experience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2021 07:54PM by rq3.
Yes, you're right. This is not the proper solution because the old firmware worked with #define WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD 20

On the other hand the configuration file suggests to increase the value in case of false negatives.

So, to anyone reaching this post with the same problem, DO IT UNDER YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY.

As I understand, we are increasing the amount of time the system waits to check if temperature increased at least 2 degrees before triggering a failure. Therefor the worst case would be a thermistor not connected to the heat cartridge for some reason. In that scenario the heat cartridge would keep enabled for the amount of time defined in WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login