Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Motors will not move

Posted by dchristie1a 
Extruder Motors will not move
April 23, 2021 04:53PM
I am building a Dual Extruder printer using the BigTreeTeck SKR 1.4 Turbo board with TMC2209 drivers and running Marlin 2.0. I have configured the Extruders count to 2 and set the thermistor value for the second extruder. I have all other functionality working (X,Y,Z axis are moving as expected, hotends heat up and are under PID control, etc.). However, when I try to extrude filament the Extruder motors will not move.

I have confirmed the motors are fine and in working order, and also check the cables running from the Board to the motors and they all check out. Is there a configuration Item I am missing or something that is preventing the firmware from actually enabling the extruders and sending data to them?

- Dave
Re: Extruder Motors will not move
April 23, 2021 05:57PM
You say "hotends heat up and are under PID control" but are the hotends hot when you attempt to move the extruders? By default Marlin will not move the extruder motor (PREVENT_COLD_EXTRUSION) unless the extruder temperature is above a certain threshold (EXTRUDE_MINTEMP, 170C by default).
April 23, 2021 06:00PM
Yes. I understand that Marlin has safety settings in place, but even when at temperature, the extruders will not turn.

- Dave
April 23, 2021 06:39PM
OK - the most probable issue is a problem with the driver enable signal. You don't happen to have SOFTWARE_DRIVER_ENABLE turned on? That is known to cause problems and should only be turned on if the hardware does not have a physical enable pin for the drivers, which is definitely not the case for an SKR 1.4.
April 24, 2021 01:38PM
That was it! I know better that to use that, and I swear I did not turn it on, but when I checked it, it was turn on! Thanks for your help!
April 26, 2021 04:29PM
MMcLure
OK - the most probable issue is a problem with the driver enable signal. You don't happen to have SOFTWARE_DRIVER_ENABLE turned on? That is known to cause problems and should only be turned on if the hardware does not have a physical enable pin for the drivers, which is definitely not the case for an SKR 1.4.

What would be the next thing to look for? SOFTWARE_DRIVER_ENABLE is already disabled.
I'm having the same problem but its only happening on the extruder motor. The motor won't turn - doesn't extrude nor retract.

Also using SKR 1.4 Turbo and TMC2209, and latest Marlin 2.0 bugfix firmware on Ender 5 plus.

X, Y and Z axis are working fine. I have 2 endstop switches on X and Y axis and both are working normally.

My tmc motor currents are all in default at 800mA and all motors are in stealthchop mode. I already tried to use spreadcycle for the extruder motor driver but the problem still exists. The filament is not being extruded.

Also tried the other suggestions of enablling/disabling the SQUARE_WAVE_STEPPING and set the MINIMUM_STEPPER_PULSE to 1 or more, but still don't work.
April 27, 2021 12:59AM
TMC2209 driver's busted.

I swap the driver from the different axis and the extruder starts working. Good thing I ordered the 6 TMC2009s bundle in Aliexpress.

Its weird because the M122 status says the driver is OK and connection is established. The debug logging looks normal too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login