Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with a HICTOP 3dp-18(?) MPK V1 firmware upgrade

Posted by samuel.mills 
Help with a HICTOP 3dp-18(?) MPK V1 firmware upgrade
March 03, 2022 10:32AM
Hello,
I have a HICTOP 3dp-18 (I think) with an MPK V1 control board. Long story short (but listed below for those interested), I attempted to update the firmware with the latest stable version of Marlin 2.0, but have somehow put in the wrong settings. I have not been able to find any example configurations for this printer as I suspect it is not very popular, and quite old, and would appreciate any help I could get resetting the firmware to something I can use.
Thanks for your help,
Sam

How dumpster-bot came into my life:
A department of my organization deals with additive manufacturing/prototyping and obtained this printer some time ago. The guy running the shop is not a tinkerer by nature, so when he got the opportunity to upgrade, he obtained several industrial grade core XY printers, and put this one on a shelf in the back of the shop, where it sat collecting dust.
I stumbled into the shop while trying to find information on something completely different, and noticed the dusty printer on the shelf. The guy running the shop said it was a piece of junk, and could not maintain consistent temperature. A short while later I was able to obtain the printer (by this time disassembled in a box) along with a separate box of spare parts. Through the use of the internet, I was able to identify the printer as a HICTOP 3dp-18, and put it back together. I replaced the hot end with a new one from the box of spare parts, and added a piece of picture frame glass to the bed to smooth it out (the surface is rather marred). After checking over the frame, I turned it on and selected the pre-heat option. Both bed and hot end came up to temperature, and stabilized without issue, so I printed a test print. After completing the test print, I uploaded new firmware, and now can not use the display screen. I have used Octoprint in an attempt to home the printer, but it will not home properly either. I know I screwed up the firmware, and that it is possible to fix, but not sure what I did wrong. I have gone through configuration.h line by line and don’t know what to do next.
Thanks for reading my story, and thanks for your help,
-S
Re: Help with a HICTOP 3dp-18(?) MPK V1 firmware upgrade
March 03, 2022 11:17AM
I have 3 Hictop 3D Printers all running Marlin 2.0.9.3

Two 2DP12 and a single 3DP11 I can help you with your current Marlin firmware or Post the configurations for Marlin firmware version that is very close to what you will need.
I started with marlin 1.1.0-RC6-Bugfix 4 years ago an have upgraded threw most versions of Marlin not all but most.

Start by posting your configuration.h an configuration_adv.h files.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
March 03, 2022 03:26PM
Had to go to work will finish now.

My 3DP11 and 3DP12's are upgraded as close as you can get to a 3DP18 .
The differences are my 3D Printer all have a 2020 Aluminum frame construction, there are several different controller model numbers and all are compatible.
I have a Base v1.3, MPX.3 and a MPK V1 control board all running the same hardware and firmware.

If you do not know the home page for Hictop link here and the firmware is located link here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2022 03:27PM by Roberts_Clif.

March 04, 2022 12:14PM
Clif,

Thank you for your offer to help. As near as I can tell, I have the MPK V1.
Here are my configuration files.
The bed is X=200mm Y=250mm and the Z=250mm (based on a yellow sticky stuck to the machine when I got it, and verified with a ruler).

I attempted to get the documentation and firmware from the HICTOP site, but it keeps asking me to request access to google drive, and I have not heard back on my request from HICTOP yet. Also, I no longer think I have the 3dp-18 as I do not have a filament sensor. Mine looks more like the picture above "1st. 3DP03/3DP08/3DP11".

Thanks again,

Sam
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (108.7 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (171.9 KB)
March 04, 2022 02:09PM
All my 3D Printers originally looked like the 2nd one 3DP12, now they look like the attached photos.

Newest purchased still applying my modifications.

You will note that my 1st Purchased 3DP11 3D Printer uses the same firmware as your 3DP08. an I have posted this firmware.

Marlin_3DP08_3DP11_398.zip

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2022 02:30PM by Roberts_Clif.

March 09, 2022 09:17AM
Clif,

Thanks for your help, and sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner as I have been largely overcome by events here. I have had the opportunity to look at the firmware you posted in your last post, and noticed that it hasn't been updated since 2017. I don't know when Marlin added features like thermal runaway, but I couldn't find them in your version of the firmware. Also, the build volume in your version does not match my printer. I tried to change this, but I was unable to get the auto build Marlin function to work because it could not recognize the control board.

As I have time, I am going through the latest stable version of Marlin again, line-by-line, and using your firmware as a guide, but it is slow going as I haven't had much time to spend on it thus far.

Thanks again for all your help,

Sam
March 09, 2022 10:33AM
The firmware I posted was from the Hictop web site you said you could not download without an access code so posted it here for you.

If you want an updated version of marlin that works on the Hictop 3DP08, post what version will look in my updated Marlin versions list to see if I updated that version an post.
My Updated Versions include 1.1.0 RC8, 1.1.X RC6, 2.0.X alpha, and Marlin 2.0.X up to Marlin 2.0.9.3 Some for Arduino IDE some for VS-Code > PlatformIO > Marlin Auto Build.

Newest Versions Include only these Marlin 2.0.3, Marlin 2.0.6.1, an 2.0.9.3 for an original Hictop 3DP08.
The Marlin firmware I have created for My Modified Hictop 3D Printers then to Original Hictop Printer firmware, they have been posted many times an I have been given many thumbs up for posting.

I Have also created 32bit controller versions BOARD_BTT_SKR_V1_3 and BOARD_BTT_SKR_V1_4_TURBO, untested do not have controllers, just wanted to test compile before purchasing.

March 10, 2022 08:59AM
Clif,

Thanks for your help and support. I have looked through your posts, but somehow couldn't find any for Marlin 2.0.9.3 for the HICTOP. If you could re-post that version for use with VS-Code/PlatformIO/Marlin Auto Build I would be grateful.

Thanks again,

Sam
March 10, 2022 02:57PM
Downloading and flashing firmware is done at your own risk.

The Forums have many people that can help including myself though Downloading and flashing firmware is done at your own risk.
I have always stated that before you flash firmware make sure you have a copy of your current firmware so you can restore your device to original state.

Link to Hictop 3DP 08-12 Marlin 2.0.9.3 newest firmware Here Original configuration an BL/3D touch configured.

Have posted two sample firmware's for Hictop 3DP08-12 As my 3D Printers are no longer original some changes may need troubleshooting.
Mostly my firmware configuration files are correct though everyone is prone to a mistake.

An will still be available on forum to assist you.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2022 06:40PM by Roberts_Clif.

March 10, 2022 06:47PM
!! Warning !! I have been having problems using Marlin 2.0.9.3 an Marlin 2.0.8.2 with the Hictop ramps 1.4 compatible controller have reverted to Marlin 2.0.9.2
Problems do not appear in this version can not explain why this version though every function I installed with Marlin 2.0.9.2 work, while some did not on the other versions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2022 07:03PM by Roberts_Clif.

March 10, 2022 07:29PM
Clif,

Thank you!
I was able to adjust a couple settings I was able to get off the printer before I messed the firmware up the first time, and with your help the machine is printing again.

My next steps are to dial in some of the slicer settings, then get to work on upgrades.

Do you have any recommendations for high pay off upgrades? I am thinking of upgrading the frame to extruded aluminum for better rigidity, what do you think?

I like the cable chains in your photos. Is that something you found online, or did you design them yourself?

Thanks again,

Sam
March 10, 2022 08:53PM
I have all the modification STL files on my google drive and there a a few that I recommend.

You really need a Proximity sensor have used the the original SN04P an upgraded to a low profile TL_W3MC2 both work the TL_W3MC2 is best of the two.
You already have the link for Marlin 2.0.9.3-BL this is setup ready for use with a BL Touch or the 3D Touch.

I really do not know a lot about your 3DP08 Frame, I know the firmware it is compatible.
The 2020 aluminum frame is great.
Have been thinking about increasing the size of my frame to allow for a 300mm x 300mm Hotbed.

Attached is my parts list this will give you a ideal for frame parts.

Step1-3DP12Partlist.pdf

March 11, 2022 06:43PM
Clif,

I would appreciate it if you would share the modification STL files. Tightening up the cable management is one of my first priorities.

I am looking into adding the BL touch, but trying to figure out how I will mount it. I know it will really help dial in the bed leveling process.

I tried to run a PID auto-tune last night but it kept failing due to overheat. I checked the resistance of my heater (4 ohms) and it looks like I have a 12 v heater. I ordered some 24v heaters and hope that I can get the hot end tuned this weekend.

Thanks again,

Sam
March 11, 2022 07:36PM
I have never gotten PID auto-tune to work in 6 years. If somehow you do make sure you write down what you did an post it for me.

The link you requested

Wow that took some time, stl file were every where so I had to duplicate all of them and move into a Single folder.

Why If I move them would have broken all my previously posted links to them.

All the posted STL files are not My Design or remixes, I just have them on my Google Drive as not to loose them with a hard drive crash.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2022 08:46PM by Roberts_Clif.

March 14, 2022 09:31AM
Clif,

Thanks for the files.

I was able to get PID autotune to work by replacing my heater. The installed heater, and all the spares I found in the box of parts had a resistance of 4 ohms (12v system). I replaced with heaters rated for 24v (14 Ohms) and had no issue with the autotune function.

Going through some basic calibration now - finally got the bed level. I am looking into BL Touch (or something like that). I have your mount files, and perhaps once I print them I will understand how they fit on the machine. Can you send some detailed photos of how you attached them?

Thanks for the help,

Sam
March 14, 2022 12:01PM
I do not remember posting a link for my New BL touch Slide mount.

It has never been finished, when i get some time will again start making measurements adjusting plus it has never tested.
And when it is finished there will be two one will attached to rear X-Axis bearing the other will attach to the extruder stepper motor / upper throat cooling heatsink.

This is one reason I paused need to design a way to cool the extruder stepper motor / upper throat cooling heatsink. and still be able to have a adjustable mount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2022 12:08PM by Roberts_Clif.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login