Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmwear fiasco with ender 3 vs code and SKR 1.4

Posted by Bruce19 
Firmwear fiasco with ender 3 vs code and SKR 1.4
March 20, 2022 11:38AM
Hello I hope you can help here. I have a Ender 3 Pro and a SKR 1.4 Turbo I'm trying to install into my printer. BUT every time I compile in vs CODE I get the error shown in the picture. ALWAYS Even with downloading "fresh" files to use. This has been going on 3 weeks till I came here to RepRap. I hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have no experience with firm wear. Oh and also thers a red squiggle and a yellow "light bulb" top of configuration_adv.h

specs

Marlin 2.0
vs CODE 1.65.2

Ender 3 pro ( i installed a Ender Extender 300XL kit that makes bed 300mm x300mm and z 390mm. I haven't mentioned that at all yet in firm wear)
SKR 1.4 Turbo, TMC 2209 stepper drivers, DCDC thingy, and following I haven't installed till printer up and running a while, WIFI, BTT writer.
Dual Z stepper motors \
120volt 750 watt SSR controlled bed heater

Is there a book " firm wear for dummies"?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0579.JPG (104.8 KB)
rq3
Re: Firmwear fiasco with ender 3 vs code and SKR 1.4
March 20, 2022 05:09PM
Bruce19
Hello I hope you can help here. I have a Ender 3 Pro and a SKR 1.4 Turbo I'm trying to install into my printer. BUT every time I compile in vs CODE I get the error shown in the picture. ALWAYS Even with downloading "fresh" files to use. This has been going on 3 weeks till I came here to RepRap. I hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have no experience with firm wear. Oh and also thers a red squiggle and a yellow "light bulb" top of configuration_adv.h

specs

Marlin 2.0
vs CODE 1.65.2

Ender 3 pro ( i installed a Ender Extender 300XL kit that makes bed 300mm x300mm and z 390mm. I haven't mentioned that at all yet in firm wear)
SKR 1.4 Turbo, TMC 2209 stepper drivers, DCDC thingy, and following I haven't installed till printer up and running a while, WIFI, BTT writer.
Dual Z stepper motors \
120volt 750 watt SSR controlled bed heater

Is there a book " firm wear for dummies"?

In your photo, see the line that says "#define Configuration_Adv_H Version 020005"? That tells Marlin what version it is compiling. If it doesn't match the version you are compiling, it usually won't compile. Check both configuration.h and configuration_adv.h to make sure they match the version you are building. The latest is 02000903.

I suspect that you are just trying to compile a new Marlin with old configuration files. Usually Marlin doesn't like that, and once you get over that hurdle, you'll probably find a bunch of stuff that has changed, and will have to be corrected to get a clean compile.

It's usually best to download the latest Marlin bugfix, AND the associated configuration files for your printer. A copy of WinMerge (it's free) can let you compare the new and old configuration files to see what has changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2022 05:16PM by rq3.
March 20, 2022 08:39PM
The screen shot only shows the end of the error.
You need to scroll up in the Terminal window to see the actual error
March 20, 2022 09:10PM
FIRST Let me thank the both of you for replying. Isn't where it failed compiling environment LPC1769 (which is the chipset on the SKR 1.4 Turbo) ? I have included BOTH config's They came from same marlin 2.0 and both are version 020000901. Notice red squiggle thing at top and light bulb What does that mean???
Attachments:
open | download - configuration.h.JPG (126.5 KB)
open | download - configuration_adv.h.JPG (127.4 KB)
March 20, 2022 11:26PM
As Mentioned

Configuration files and code versions must be matched

In Marlin/src/inc/Version.h is for eg

#define MARLIN_HEX_VERSION 02000903

The MARLIN_HEX_VERSION must match the

#define CONFIGURATION_H_VERSION 02000903
and #define CONFIGURATION_ADV_H_VERSION 02000903

Found in Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h

Important: Do not just change these numbers. That will not work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2022 11:31PM by Dust.
March 21, 2022 11:53AM
Posted an updated version of Marlin 2.9.0.3 that I created, for this controller.
Though do not as of this post have this controller, I will be ordering it when the prices come down.

Long story short even though the firmware complies it has never been tested, and may need a few changes to be correct.
Attached are Config files.

Configuration.h
Configuration_adv.h

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
March 21, 2022 02:19PM
got this message after loading into vs code but not yet compiled
Attachments:
open | download - bruce- error.JPG (109.3 KB)
March 21, 2022 02:28PM
and am STILL getting thiese messages AFTER compiling
Attachments:
open | download - SAME-ERROR.JPG (104.8 KB)
March 21, 2022 04:11PM
i ALSO NOTICE in the begining few time tried vs code, I could have multiple files open in workspace. But NOW (started a week ago) I can ONLY have ONE file open at a time................................WHY
March 21, 2022 07:22PM
I recorded the compile of this program

Video located here

Forgot to change the Custom Machine Name
#define CUSTOM_MACHINE_NAME "Blu 2.0.9.3" //To whatever you want

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2022 07:36PM by Roberts_Clif.

March 21, 2022 07:36PM
no sound to video
March 21, 2022 09:28PM
You have installed some Cmake extensions into vscode.

Marlin does not use these and this is complaining about missing files needed for cmake builds

Click on the extensions icon on left (4 boxes with one box out of place)
remove anything that says cmake

If you have C/C++ Extension Pack install click on that. it will open a window showing 9 extensions and a global disable button. disable it

You still continue to show only the end of the error message

SCROLL UP! take a screen shot of the start of the error messages

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2022 09:48PM by Dust.
March 23, 2022 09:05AM
Did not think it needed audio.

March 23, 2022 12:17PM
Rob right after I sent that one about no sound, I relised I didn't need sound. I took notes. I'm still kinda working on it
March 23, 2022 02:14PM
Have you got the Marlin 2.0.9.3 I posted to compile yet!.

Once you get Marlin 2.0.9.3 to compile we can get started on getting your specific configuration changed as to get your Marlin 2.0.9.3 firmware up an running.

March 23, 2022 02:36PM
ROB, What a path I traveled down on this firm wear fiasco. I , with your help was SUCCESSFUL at building firm wear I'm about to install One question I have yet, does JUST the BIN file get copied onto the microSD card , OR the whole folder? AND the process is once on microsd card I place into main board printer OFF. then I tirn printer ON and watch screen, once calmed down I shut OFF printer , remove microSD card and turn printer back on ?? OR I do have a BTT Writer for the skr. If that's easier? I haven't hooked that up yet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2022 03:10PM by Bruce19.
Attachments:
open | download - SUCESS.JPG (125.7 KB)
open | download - THANK_you_4BED_size.JPG (112 KB)
open | download - justBINfile.JPG (110.3 KB)
March 23, 2022 02:37PM
OH I forgot to mention, I changed the "custom" name to SKR 1.4 TURBO
March 23, 2022 02:43PM
I had to use my 5-year-old lap top as my screamer pc kept giving me FAILED even following your steps Something was "remembering" bad info in my pc. laptop is a AMD A8-550M and lil slow
March 25, 2022 01:34PM
Sorry going off subject for second.
My oldest PC is still my favorite home brew with an AMD FX 8150 Processor. This is crazy but while recording video works perfect.
With my brand new i5 11600K Processor home brew the audio is offset from video mouth movements, this is unacceptable.

Though it work great with all 3D Printer programs / compilers and all other programs, like you said it is a screamer.
One day I will figure out why audio / video is skewed.

Did you get the Baby-stepping working.

March 25, 2022 03:10PM
Had to use a i5 laptop to compile successfully as My i7 with solid state hard drive must had some memory issue in vscode. So in the laptop everthing was new VScode, marlin and redownloded Bruce.zip from your pc. Im still trying to get er in the skr printer. The laptop runs windows 7 and it is about 20" form laptop usb to skr usb. C usb cable came with skr was too short. so I used a 2' printer cable. Laptop could see marlin but failed on upload. I HAVE tried to install firmwear by microsd card. First printer OFF I put JUST firmwear.bin file on card, insert card into skr, turn printer on, Nothing happens. SECOND I took whole folder on card and nothing. THIRD I moved jumper for usb power. The board lights up but tft 3.5 screen says no printer attached. Could be cable, I dont know

I do have the BTT Writer attachment not installed yet I did see video makes upload easire but may have been for 8bit board, not my 32 bit?
March 25, 2022 03:13PM
im trying with supplied usb cable with laptop on my lap lol
March 25, 2022 03:15PM
says its compiling invscode tho printer screen no change swtill no printer
March 25, 2022 03:49PM
No matter what I do it says NO PRINTER ATTACHED. Ive changed BAUD RATE in the screen (BTT TFT 3.5) Going to walk away from this few mins do yard work
March 25, 2022 09:45PM
seems I need a updated USB driver for either the windows 7 laptop that sucessfully compiled Or my pc in settings I see "MARLIN USB DEVICE" , and only option is to remove it I cant update driver
March 26, 2022 08:33AM
Have you seen this you-tube video link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2022 08:34AM by Roberts_Clif.

March 26, 2022 09:39AM
Rob Yes I've watched that video. But the PRONTO aspect is currently beyond me. There is a drop box web address in my printed manual for instruction on how to install usb driver I think within vscode Im inprocess right now typing that first non-hypewrlink address
Attachments:
open | download - manual.jpg (106.3 KB)
March 26, 2022 10:11AM
gHERE Right now trying to wrap my head around this
March 26, 2022 10:23AM
In device manager I thought Id look and see they USB listings When USB to SKR is plugged in I see "USB COMPOSIT DEVICE" & "USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE". When I unplug USB cable those two listings disappear. When I plug USB back in, they re-appear
March 26, 2022 02:24PM
Im re compiling right now. I should be able to load new firmwear via MicroSD card should be firmwear.bin ?? ONLY on microsd card? Last time I did it was firmwear.cur
March 26, 2022 03:40PM
The skr 1.4 renames firmware.bin to firmware.cur once it has loaded the firmware. This is to stop it from re flashing the same firmware on next reboot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login