Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CR-20 Pro 3D Printer firmware upgrade issues

Posted by Devy 
CR-20 Pro 3D Printer firmware upgrade issues
May 07, 2022 04:15PM
Hi,

I have a Creality CR-20 Pro 3D printer I bought from here a couple of years ago: link

I upgraded from the stock 1.1.6V Marlin to the newest stable 2.0.9.3V Marlin but am having some problems.

Before I explain the issues, here's how I got to my current state:
  • Forked the Marlin firmware repo: here
  • Copied the CR-20 Pro config files to the firmware Marlin repo from here
  • Disabled software end stops by commenting out this and this
  • Uploaded to printer using Arduino IDE and selecting board as Arduino ATmega2560
You can see my Marlin fork here

Next, some resources that should correspond to my hardware (I haven't opened the printer to verify 100%)

Now, the issues

Issue 1
Moving the X, Y, or extruder axes doesn't work by Z does. Using the LCD menu I cannot move the X, Y, or extruder axes through move or home, only the Z axis moves up a bit and then stops. Because the Z-axis is working I plugged the X-axis wires into the Z-axis motor and tried moving the X-axis, but it did not move the Z-axis motor.

Issue 2
The BLTouch sensor stays retracted and blinks red (looks to be 50% duty) on startup or after reset and trying deploy or self-test from the menu. Sending M119 reports
start
 External Reset
Marlin 2.0.9.3
echo: Last Updated: 2021-12-25 | Author: (CR-20 Pro)
echo: Compiled: May  7 2022
echo: Free Memory: 3236  PlannerBufferBytes: 1200
echo:V86 stored settings retrieved (620 bytes; crc 56435)
Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
y_min: open
z_min: TRIGGERED
ok

Any ideas about what is going on? Need anymore information?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2022 04:26PM by Devy.
Re: CR-20 Pro 3D Printer firmware upgrade issues
May 07, 2022 11:35PM
saw your post on discord
i think your problem maybe that your using Arduino IDE to compile Marlin 2

Ive never tried to be honest but most use VScode with the Marlin Autobuild plugin ( that takes care of all the dependencies for you)

Might be worth a try

Im assuming its a Ramps board and you ware using the Z min endstop to connect the BLtouch to?
Make sure the polarity of the signal wires is correct at the ramps board . Micro switch doesn't matter but a BLtouch does.
As your M119 is reporting the Z as triggered it maybe the wiring issue or the endstop logic in firmware needs flipping.

Typically an axis wont move until its been homed.
If you can connect to the printer with proterface or a terminal program try G28 X to home the X axis then try to move the axis

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2022 11:43PM by bigfilsing.
May 07, 2022 11:51PM
Would wire polarity really be a problem? It worked before.

I opened the printer and found that it's this board: [www.th3dstudio.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2022 11:51PM by Devy.
May 08, 2022 02:19AM
I tried the Marlin autoloader and have the same result. I do like it though, it exposes more information.

I think the motor issue is that my motor drivers may have been fried during firmware edits at some point. X, Y, and E are down except Z.

The BLTouch still doesn't work correctly, I'll have to look at inverting its logic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2022 02:19AM by Devy.
May 08, 2022 08:39AM
When I flashed using newest firmware versions I have to initialize.
To do this Click LCD button > select Configuration > Select Advanced Settings > Select Initialize EEPROM

If I did not do this my XY steppers would not function and many other features were faulty.
After Initializing everything came back to life.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 08, 2022 01:27PM
Unfortunately, that had no effect
May 08, 2022 06:04PM
I seriously doubt that you've fried anything. The only time I've fried anything via firmware was when I was experimenting with BIG steppers trying to see what drivers could handle the power. Most just shut down until they cooled off. I see your config file says A4988 drivers. Those are pretty much bullet proof.

Does it still work properly with the original firmware?
May 08, 2022 06:11PM
I don't have access to whatever may have been loaded when I got the printer but I know it was at least Marlin V1.1.6. I tried this [forums.creality3dofficial.com] but am getting the same results.

I at least know the motors aren't fried since plugging them into the Z-axis connector on the board runs them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2022 06:16PM by Devy.
May 09, 2022 02:14AM
Using the test code for Ramps 1.4 boards here: [reprap.org] has shown me that actually the extruder driver works too. X and Y are still not doing anything. I referenced that the X_STEP_PIN in the test code leads to a trace on the motor driver and main IC by using the Atmel ATmega2560 datasheet. Not sure where to go from here other than a new board.
May 09, 2022 02:28AM
run blink on that io pin and put a voltmeter or a a led and resistor on the pin.

If it doesn't blink, you need a new mega
May 11, 2022 11:02PM
Replaced the main board, turned out something was fried. Still need to figure out why Z won't home and BLTouch doesn't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2022 11:02PM by Devy.
May 12, 2022 12:42AM
Hell yeah! This was the fix for the BLTouch: [www.reddit.com]

For whatever reason, I had to fiddle around with the tightness of the hex on top of the BLTouch until it deployed using the configuration menu on the printer.

Now I want to look into making the mesh 4x4 points and then calibrate the extruder feedrate

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2022 01:17AM by Devy.
August 24, 2022 11:33AM
@Junaid

the CR-20 Pro comes with a BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB, these generally do not update firmware from sdcard.

Updating via usb/serial is a function of the bootloader. It is possible that at some stage the bootloader has been erased r damaged by static.

Use a avrisp device and write a new bootloader
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login