Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ender 3 Pro & Creality filament detection sensor issue

Posted by sensboston 
Ender 3 Pro & Creality filament detection sensor issue
May 13, 2022 11:24PM
Hello guys, could you please help me?

I'm trying to get a filament runaway detection sensor (this one ) working with Marlin (version 2.0.9.3). I do have Ender 3 Pro (latest motherboard version, I believe so, purchased last fall).

Googled and searched internet but it full of bullshit: kinda pretty outdated video manuals (I hate 'em all!) and non-working "how to" instructions and "solutions"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2022 10:41AM by sensboston.
Re: Ender 3 Pro & Creality filament detection sensor issue
May 14, 2022 08:38AM
I use Z-Max end-stop pin and configure in FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR section of Configuration.h

#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR
#if ENABLED(FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR)
  #define FIL_RUNOUT_ENABLED_DEFAULT true // Enable the sensor on startup. Override with M412 followed by M500.
  #define NUM_RUNOUT_SENSORS   1                 // Number of sensors, up to one per extruder. Define a FIL_RUNOUT#_PIN for each.
  #define FIL_RUNOUT_PIN       19	                  // Hictop printer, from pins_RAMPS.h

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 14, 2022 10:50AM
I do have this motherboard (4.2.2):

This mobo has a dedicated connector for the filament runout sensor (as shown on pic).

Do you know what is a signal pin number for this connector? (i.e. it's not a Z-Stop).
May 14, 2022 01:16PM
There is a you- tube video explaining the setup with the 4.2.2 and marlin 2.0 configuration.

Time index 18:50

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2022 01:17PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 14, 2022 09:48PM
In that video the diagram of the v4.2.2 runout sensor plug is labeled wrong.

The pins on the 4.2.2. are [signal, gnd, vcc] not vcc gnd and signal. (it is written on the bottom of the motherboard pcb)

If you look at the picture above (mb.jpg) they have it wired correctly but the colours used are misleading, You can read the S, G and V on the probe pcb. So they are using red for signal, orange for gnd and yellow for vcc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2022 09:49PM by Dust.
May 15, 2022 12:19PM
Thank you guys, sensor is working now!

I wanna share all details, just in case:

Printer model: Ender 3 Pro
Motherboard version: 4.2.2
Marlin official release: 2.0.9.3
Link to this sensor ($6.99) on Amazon: [www.amazon.com]
My Configuration.h (only changes for sensor):
#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR
#if ENABLED(FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR)
  #define FIL_RUNOUT_ENABLED_DEFAULT true // Enable the sensor on startup. Override with M412 followed by M500.
  #define NUM_RUNOUT_SENSORS   1          // Number of sensors, up to one per extruder. Define a FIL_RUNOUT#_PIN for each.
  #define FIL_RUNOUT_STATE     LOW 	  // Pin state indicating that filament is NOT present.
  #define FIL_RUNOUT_PULLUP               // Use internal pullup for filament runout pins.

Marlin firmware settings (for my setup with holder, see below):

Proof of pause:

I printed this holder [www.thingiverse.com]
and bended it using heat gun. Sensor attached to holder by double sided transparent mounting tape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2022 12:23PM by sensboston.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login