Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin upgrade compile error for Anet A8

Posted by Leslieval 
Marlin upgrade compile error for Anet A8
May 25, 2022 01:18AM
Hello, I am trying to complile a Marlin 2.0 (2.0.7.2)Build using VSCode, PlatformIO and Marlin build. I have taken forever to get to the stage where I am but still have some problems I need help with and sure hope someone can advise.
The current problem is I wish to use manual mesh bed levelling on my printer and I can compile the build with that option uncommented in Configuration.h but only if I leave LCD Display Commented out (//#define LCD_BED_LEVELING)which sort defeats the purpose. When compiling with LCDuncommented I get the following error. I currently have 2.0Bugfix running on my printer and using mesh levelling with a menu and submenu on the LCD display so am at a loss as to why in this build I am getting this error.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I have tried using a newer version of Marlin 2.0.9.3 but that has even more problems compiling so will ask that question as seperate post. I have attached a file of the error generated in the VSCove PlatformIO console.
Attachments:
open | download - CompileError.txt (2.5 KB)
Re: Marlin upgrade compile error for Anet A8
May 25, 2022 01:27AM
error: #error "LCD_BED_LEVELING requires a programmable LCD controller."

You cannot enable LCD_BED_LEVELING, when you don't have a suitable LCD enabled.
May 25, 2022 01:38AM
Example configs from [github.com]

Shows the default display for this machine is a 20x4 character display the ZONESTAR_LCD this is compatible with LCD_BED_LEVELING

But if you still have the original BOARD_ANET_10 you are going to have a absolute metric ton of issues getting new firmware to fit

The 1284p on the board is just to small.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2022 01:38AM by Dust.
May 25, 2022 06:56AM
Hello Dust, following up on this post after you so magnificently helped me in the previous one i am hoping you may be able to advise where i am going wrong perhaps in my settings
I have an ATMega 1284p (Anet 3d V1-5) board and it is currently managing the mesh leveling with a submenu on the lcd. The lcd that came with my printer. I have seen when compiling for the machine that i get a reference to the BOARD-Anet-10 but have never known where that comes from and if i can change it, need to change it, should change it or does it even matter as I always use the Sanguino ATMega 1284p when i build.
As i am using mesh levelling i assume the info you are seeing and i supplied while correct in what i am seeing is in correct as to what i actually have.
Hope you can advise as i would like to get to a stage where i feel comfortable compiling a new Marlin edit and uploading when needed or desired. Currently i am generally terrified i will upload a new firmware especially when I see things that dont make sense to me like the anet-10 reference and never get my printer working again
May 25, 2022 10:05AM
The very first thing you should set in a Configuration.h is the #define MOTHERBOARD
This is set to BOARD_ANET_10

This tells marlin what pins are used for what functions on your controller.

Selecting Sanguino ATMega 1284p tells the compiler your builder a firmware for this CPU

These are both correct and should not be changed, unless you replace your motherboard with something else.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login