Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Marlin configuration is restarting/resseting Arduino board

Posted by cletero 
New Marlin configuration is restarting/resseting Arduino board
June 27, 2022 07:26PM
Hi, I have a cura Ultimaker Original and due to some problems with the extruder, a friend tried loading a new Marlin configuration and, in short, he failed and the printer would not start at all.

So I decided to do it myself and went through the learning process, I searched for the original configuration files in the Marlin github, compiled them and loaded them to the printer. Using Marlin 2.0 from here: [github.com], and config files for Ultimaker Original from here: [github.com], which seem to be the same as: [github.com]

However, now I start the printer but it seems to load the initial screen and immediately resets itself, bringing back the screen and resetting again in an endless cycle.

I can see the reset button on the Arduino board is flashing, but have no idea where to look in the configuration files for something that can be causing this.

I would appreciate any help on what direction I can take to solve this problem, or ideas of keywords to search in this forum, so far I have only thought of "reset", "resseting" mixed with Arduino or Marlin, but without success.

Originally, the printer would start and I could preheat, start a print, etc. but the extruder motor would not move, but can´t see how that would be related to the issue with the new config.
Re: New Marlin configuration is restarting/resseting Arduino board
June 28, 2022 01:04AM
You may want to try the latest Marlin which is bugfix-2.1.x. It has a lot of updates/fixes that are not in the older Marlin.
VDX
June 28, 2022 02:24AM
... this "endless reset" ist most likely caused by too low voltage ... measure the +5V at the chip - should be "oszillating" too, when the display is drawing too much power ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 28, 2022 04:26AM
Couldn't sleep so ... just in case it's of use - here's the Ultimaker Original (1.5.7) config files converted to work with bugfix-2.1.x

I've compiled it (via Auto Build Marlin plugin for VSCode) and included the result.
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin.zip (204.7 KB)
June 30, 2022 01:11PM
[email protected]
Couldn't sleep so ... just in case it's of use - here's the Ultimaker Original (1.5.7) config files converted to work with bugfix-2.1.x

I've compiled it (via Auto Build Marlin plugin for VSCode) and included the result.

Thank you very much, really appreciate it, I loaded them but it did not solve the issue. I'll keep the files anyway, as they will be usefull anyway.

I also remembered, after loading the files, it sometime shows the following message: "EEProm CRC Error", with the option to either Ignore or Reset, not sure what to do there, but the issue shows up with either.
June 30, 2022 01:15PM
VDX
... this "endless reset" ist most likely caused by too low voltage ... measure the +5V at the chip - should be "oszillating" too, when the display is drawing too much power ...

Thank you as well, will try to do that today but the guy who keeps the tester didn't show up today and holidays are coming, but as soon as I can, I'll come back with how it went.
June 30, 2022 05:11PM
Try disabling SD support. That was a cause of reset loops in some of the later Marlin releases. Maybe the problem isn't fully resolved yet.
June 30, 2022 06:01PM
[email protected]
Try disabling SD support. That was a cause of reset loops in some of the later Marlin releases. Maybe the problem isn't fully resolved yet.

Tried but didn't work.

Just to be sure, what I did was commenting the following line in Configuration_adv.h: #define SDSUPPORT
June 30, 2022 11:14PM
SDSUPPORT was the correct change.

Here's another long shot. Change your thermistor(s) to 998. This sets the temperature to 25C no matter what. Every so often we see someone develop thermistor issues which results in the thermal protection kicking in and resetting the controller.
July 28, 2022 06:27PM
[email protected]

Here's another long shot. Change your thermistor(s) to 998. This sets the temperature to 25C no matter what. Every so often we see someone develop thermistor issues which results in the thermal protection kicking in and resetting the controller.

Thanks, I will try this as well.

vdx
this "endless reset" ist most likely caused by too low voltage ... measure the +5V at the chip - should be "oszillating" too, when the display is drawing too much power

I finally measured this, an voltage is in fact oscillanting, around 2.5 - 3 V, so not sure where to go from there. My colleague suggest trying a new Arduino Mega, but not sure if that's the issue.
rq3
July 28, 2022 08:03PM
cletero
[email protected]

Thanks, I will try this as well.

vdx
this "endless reset" ist most likely caused by too low voltage ... measure the +5V at the chip - should be "oszillating" too, when the display is drawing too much power

I finally measured this, an voltage is in fact oscillanting, around 2.5 - 3 V, so not sure where to go from there. My colleague suggest trying a new Arduino Mega, but not sure if that's the issue.

Disconnect everything from the board that's not involved in it's basic function. Heater drivers, MOSFET drivers, motor drivers, etc. Something is switching on and off that is pulling the power supply down. Plug things in, one by one, until you identify the culprit. It could be a bad pin assignment, incorrect display, or a physical fault (solder bridge, etc.). In short, start at the most simplistic level, and then add complexity. If it fails at the most simplistic level, you have a bad board, which may or may not be repairable.
July 29, 2022 12:10AM
What is the main 12V to the board doing? Could be that the main power supply has gone bad.
August 22, 2022 10:17AM
Thanks for all the help.

We tested everything and it seems it's the Arduino board which is not delivering enough power, we tested it alone, connected to the PC and with the power supply, and compared it with another Arduino Mega we had at hand.

So I think that may be the issue, if you guys think it is not, let me know.

Else, I'll consider this as closed until I can get hold of a new board and see what happens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login