Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y axis endstop at max issue

Posted by casperen 
Y axis endstop at max issue
October 09, 2022 11:04AM
Hello,

I am building a custom cartesian 3d printer and trying to get the new marlin version 2.1.1 running but seem to be running into an issue.

Printer: basic dual extruder running a Ramps 1.4 with A4498 stepper drivers and mechanical endstops.

The issue I am having is the one Y axis endstop is on the max location(pic attached) of the Y axis and when I change the config accordingly the axis no longer moves.

If I leave the y endstop stop plugged into the Y min location on the ramps board and leave the config default, the axis moves but is backward(it moves as I increase y, but should be decreasing value).

Changes that were made to the config that are not working:

1. Moved the endstop from the Y-min location on the ramps, to Y max.
2. Change the endstop setting from Y-min to Ymax
// extra connectors. Leave undefined any used for non-endstop and non-probe purposes.
#define USE_XMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_YMIN_PLUG
#define USE_ZMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_IMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_JMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_KMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_UMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_VMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_WMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_XMAX_PLUG
#define USE_YMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_ZMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_IMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_JMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_KMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_UMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_VMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_WMAX_PLUG

3. Changed the direction of homing from Min to Max.
// Direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
// :[-1,1]
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR 1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1
//#define I_HOME_DIR -1
//#define J_HOME_DIR -1
//#define K_HOME_DIR -1
//#define U_HOME_DIR -1
//#define V_HOME_DIR -1
//#define W_HOME_DIR -1

After the above changes and I try to home. The printer home X, the y axis does a small jerk(but doesn't move), and the Z homes.

These seems to be the correct changes needed in the config. Not sure what the issue is.
Attachments:
open | download - Ramsp endstops.JPG (39 KB)
Re: Y axis endstop at max issue
October 09, 2022 12:02PM
Picture seems to show endstop on Z-Min
October 09, 2022 06:55PM
Correct, the endstops are X/Z at the Min value, and Y at the max position.
October 09, 2022 09:25PM
First get your Y moving in the right direction. Toggle your INVERT_Y_DIR setting.

Then set the homing direction per your endstop.

Now use M119 to see what your endstop status is. Toggle YMAX manually to be sure it is working correctly. YMAX should show OPEN when the head is not at the max position.
August 24, 2023 11:34AM
Was this solved?

I have the exact. Literally exact same problem with a MKS Gen L Board.

using Xmax instead of X min. end stop is on the right side of the X boom. Homing set to 1. , X max plug uncommented. xMin plug commented to deactivate it. I cant even manually move the X motor in ANY positive direction. (left to right) Just a jerk and click, and no movement. but a command to move the motor right to left (or in the negative direction returning to left corner),. no problem. moves. I checked all my motors and cables, and even swapped another identical working Gen L board. Same issue. If I reflash the firmware with all the standard configs,.. using basic bump stop Min plugs,.. all works normal again. so,. the boards, motors and cables, and firmware motor direction are all fine.

But I can scroll ( i have a discount full graphics LCD) the movement in the lcd controller up to 400mm (max bed size), no movement., just a jerk. and then scroll down,.. and the x carriage will move in the numerically downward or negative direction.

my gut says the X max plug is sending a false positive signal that the bump is triggered. (button pushed) but on both boards? OR there is a false positive code feedback loop,. where as the location of the X carriage, no matter where it has been positioned, either manually or via the lcd controller, is being told by the firmware that it IS AT MAX location ,. ie,. 400mm. so any command to send it in the positive direction gets hung up because the code thinks it is already at the MAX position. this is the way it is acting. i cant find in marlin where i can inspect or prove it.
August 24, 2023 05:28PM
Sounds like the XMAX endstop is always active and ENDSTOPS_ALWAYS_ON_DEFAULT is enabled.

Use M119 to see the state of the endstops. Manually trigger the endstop to be sure the signal is getting through.

Toggle X_MAX_ENDSTOP_HIT_STATE HIGH/LOW if the endstop changes state but is active when it shouldn't be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login