Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrade part ANET A6 hardware and firmware, does this work ?

Posted by windchime 
Upgrade part ANET A6 hardware and firmware, does this work ?
February 17, 2023 09:07AM
Hi..

The goal is to change a ANET A6 to :

MARLIN
ARDUINO MEGA 2560
RAMPS 1.4
DRV8825
LCD 12864

And keep :

12 VOLT POWER SUPPLY
THERMISTOR EXTRUDER
THERMISTOR HOTBED
STEPPERMOTORS
BLTOUCH

Has this been done successfully ?

Does the way presented in this video work well for this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_AA72g_uXg

Thanks...
Windchime...
Re: Upgrade part ANET A6 hardware and firmware, does this work ?
February 17, 2023 01:56PM
It's definitely been done successfully.

Take the video with a grain of salt. It's 5 years old and a lot has happened since then.

The stepper orientation is absolutely criticle. Plugging one in backwards will fry everything.

First thing to do is buy a kit that contains the Mega2560 board, the ramps board, the LCD adapter board and the LCD. None of this custom wiring.
Amazon has many of these. Here's a couple of examples:

If you're willing to wait for 6-8 weeks you can get similar kits from Aliexpress. Here's a kit with steppers for $35.

Second is to use the Auto Build Marlin extension within VSCode to build/compile the firmware. Here's a video on how I like to do that.

Third I recommend starting with the A6 example configurations for Marlin 2.1.2. Download 2.1.2 from here. After the two downloads do the following:
  1. Unzip 2.1.2
  2. Copy the three files from the examples to the MARLIN folder. This will overwrite the configuration.h and configuration_adv.h files.
  3. In configuration.h, change the MOTHERBOARD setting from BOARD_ANET_10 to BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB
  4. In configuration.h, change the xx_DRIVER_TYPE from A4988 to DRV8825
  5. In configuration.h, comment out these lines: #define ST7920_DELAY_1 DELAY_NS(150), #define ST7920_DELAY_2 DELAY_NS(150) and #define ST7920_DELAY_3 DELAY_NS(150)
  6. Put a USB cable between the 2560 board and your PC.
  7. Select the UPLOAD option when you compile the firmware.

---

You may want to consider going with a 32 bit board so that you can play with the input shaping option that Marlin has recently introduced. Lots of good reviews on it.

I personally like the BTT SKR PRO. Doesn't lock you into anything.
February 17, 2023 04:36PM
[email protected]
It's definitely been done successfully.

That's good news :-)

If you're willing to wait for 6-8 weeks you can get similar kits from Aliexpress. Here's a kit with steppers for $35.

Oops..
I allready ordered a set for about 100 euro at www.123-3d.nl...

Thanks very much for the info on how to install marlin..
I am more hopeful now :-)

Windchime..
April 29, 2023 01:59PM
Hi,

I would like to upgrade my Anet A6 with Ramps 1.6 to Marlin 2.1.2.
I downloaded the Marlin 2.1.2 FW as well as the necessary configs from the Marlin Homepage.
I get some errors that I canĀ“t solve myself since I am a complete beginner so I hope someone can help me here.

In file included from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\inc\MarlinConfig.h:50:0,
from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\MarlinCore.h:24,
from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\MarlinCore.cpp:31:
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\HAL\AVR\inc\SanityCheck.h:73:4: error: #error "FAN_PIN 9 Hardware PWM uses Timer 2 which conflicts with Arduino AVR Tone Timer (for SPEAKER)."
#error "FAN_PIN 9 Hardware PWM uses Timer 2 which conflicts with Arduino AVR Tone Timer (for SPEAKER)."
^~~~~
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\HAL\AVR\inc\SanityCheck.h:74:4: error: #error "Disable SPEAKER or enable FAN_SOFT_PWM."
#error "Disable SPEAKER or enable FAN_SOFT_PWM."
^~~~~
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\HAL\AVR\inc\SanityCheck.h:95:4: error: #error "TMCStepper includes SoftwareSerial.h which is incompatible with ENDSTOP_INTERRUPTS_FEATURE. Disable ENDSTOP_INTERRUPTS_FEATURE to continue."
#error "TMCStepper includes SoftwareSerial.h which is incompatible with ENDSTOP_INTERRUPTS_FEATURE. Disable ENDSTOP_INTERRUPTS_FEATURE to continue."
^~~~~
In file included from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\inc\MarlinConfig.h:37:0,
from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\MarlinCore.h:24,
from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\MarlinCore.cpp:31:
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\core\macros.h:236:48: error: pasting "ENA_" and "/* Give feedback on EEPROM commands. Disable to save PROGMEM.*/" does not give a valid preprocessing token
#define _ENA_1(O) _ISENA(CAT(_IS,CAT(ENA_, O)))
^
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\HAL\AVR\timers.h:101:22: note: in definition of macro '_CAT'
#define _CAT(a,V...) a##V
^
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\core\macros.h:236:44: note: in expansion of macro 'CAT'
^~~
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\core\macros.h:243:35: note: in expansion of macro '_ENA_1'
#define TERN0(O,A) _TERN(_ENA_1(O),0,A) // OPTION ? 'A' : '0'
^~~~~~
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\module\settings.h:45:13: note: in expansion of macro 'TERN0'
if (TERN0(EEPROM_CHITCHAT, success)) report();
^~~~~
In file included from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\module\stepper\indirection.h:40:0,
from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\module\stepper.h:47,
from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\MarlinCore.cpp:47:
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\module\stepper\trinamic.h:29:10: fatal error: TMCStepper.h: No such file or directory
#include
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Compilation error: #error "FAN_PIN 9 Hardware PWM uses Timer 2 which conflicts with Arduino AVR Tone Timer (for SPEAKER)."
April 29, 2023 10:34PM
And what does the very next line say?

"#error "Disable SPEAKER or enable FAN_SOFT_PWM.""

choose one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2023 10:53PM by Dust.
April 30, 2023 04:48AM
Thank you so much for the quick reply.
I disabled the speaker. Next error could be solved in the same way by disabling it.
Now i get this error but the problem is I cant find it when I search for "ENA" to disable it.

In file included from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\inc\MarlinConfig.h:37:0,
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\core\macros.h:236:48: error: pasting "ENA_" and "/* Give feedback on EEPROM commands. Disable to save PROGMEM.*/" does not give a valid preprocessing token
^
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\HAL\AVR\timers.h:101:22: note: in definition of macro '_CAT'
#define _CAT(a,V...) a##V
^
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\core\macros.h:236:44: note: in expansion of macro 'CAT'
^~~
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\core\macros.h:243:35: note: in expansion of macro '_ENA_1'
#define TERN0(O,A) _TERN(_ENA_1(O),0,A) // OPTION ? 'A' : '0'
^~~~~~
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\module\settings.h:45:13: note: in expansion of macro 'TERN0'
if (TERN0(EEPROM_CHITCHAT, success)) report();
^~~~~
In file included from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\module\stepper\indirection.h:40:0,
from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\module\stepper.h:47,
from C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\MarlinCore.cpp:47:
C:\Users\Howy-PC\Downloads\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin-2.1.2\Marlin\src\module\stepper\trinamic.h:29:10: fatal error: TMCStepper.h: No such file or directory
#include
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Compilation error: pasting "ENA_" and "/* Give feedback on EEPROM commands. Disable to save PROGMEM.*/" does not give a valid preprocessing token
April 30, 2023 05:40AM
I cannot tell exactly what you have changed, but guess from the error the line

#define EEPROM_CHITCHAT       // Give feedback on EEPROM commands. Disable to save PROGMEM.

should be as pictured. Not what you have

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2023 06:14AM by Dust.
May 01, 2023 07:36AM
thanks a lot.
to be honest i just downloaded the marlin fw 2.1.2 and the config files.
what i did was copying the anet a6 configs to the corresponding marlin folder. that is all i did + the changes from this conversation that i got.
May 01, 2023 07:39AM
i think there is one error left and then everything should work....hopefully.
where do i get the TMCStepper.h from?

#include
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Compilation error: TMCStepper.h: No such file or directory
May 01, 2023 09:20AM
This error normally results from a previous error. you have to fix them in order. One at a time

The file is part of Marlin, you should have all of these

[github.com]

Put your config files somewhere we can review them (zip and attach, or upload somewhere and provide the URL)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2023 09:22AM by Dust.
May 01, 2023 12:38PM
Please find my marlin config in the following link.
thank you.
[we.tl]
May 01, 2023 01:01PM
you have added

#include <TMCStepper.h> 
#include <TMCStepper_UTILITY.h> 

#include <TMCStepper.h> 
#include <TMCStepper_UTILITY.h>

to the top of Configuration.h

these where not in the original config files and are not meant to be there. Remove them

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2023 01:05PM by Dust.
May 02, 2023 12:32PM
Thank you so much. It worked finally. Now I can compile and uplaod Marlin without any errors.
I just get a message on the 3D printers display now stating TMC CONNECTION ERROR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2023 02:07PM by 88Howy88.
May 02, 2023 10:48PM
Currently you have
#define X_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208
#define Y_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208
#define Z_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208
#define E0_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208

Your using a ramps. The ramps has no hardware support for TMC2208 uart pins

You either need to use the stepper drivers in standalone mode

#define X_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208_STANDALONE
#define Y_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208_STANDALONE
#define Z_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208_STANDALONE
#define E0_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208_STANDALONE

Or you need to add wires
[forum.v1e.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2023 10:51PM by Dust.
May 03, 2023 02:02AM
Thank you Dust.
STANDALONE worked absolutely fine for me. Now the error message is gone from the 3D printers display.
The link you provided here --> [github.com]
What exactly should i do with it? I can see 7 different files but I don't know which one I need and where to put it.
May 03, 2023 04:40AM
You don't need to do anything. that was just to show you that the file TMCStepper.h exists in marlin when you had the error "error: TMCStepper.h: No such file or directory"
May 03, 2023 07:00AM
Ok got it. Thank you.
I changed my direct extruder to an e3d titan bowden extruder. The extruding speed is way too slow. I read in the assembly guide that the new nema motor has a movement speed of 400 steps / rev instead of 200. where can i set this? and the direction is also inverted. It pulls out the filament instead of pushing.
thank you
May 03, 2023 07:46AM
You need to update the steps per millimeter for E

This is the last value in this lne

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 400, 95 }

According to the internet this should be 837

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 400, 837 }

Important these values are stored in eeprom. they will not be updated until you reset the eprom to firmware defaults
I highly recommend that you enable

#define EEPROM_INIT_NOW // Init EEPROM on first boot after a new build.

Then every time you upload new firmware, the eeprom is also set to the firmware defaults

To change direction
find
#define INVERT_E0_DIR false

change to
#define INVERT_E0_DIR true

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2023 07:47AM by Dust.
May 07, 2023 07:49AM
Thanks Dust. All works perfectly fine.
If you could help me with my inductive sensor it would be amazon. I have an NO inductive sensor that i want to connect to my ramps board.
I have a small pcb to reduce the voltage but i don't know how and where to connect it to my ramps board.
Thank you.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0497.HEIC (1.67 MB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login