Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TMC2209 drivers are louder than TMC2208 with same fw

Posted by daninet 
TMC2209 drivers are louder than TMC2208 with same fw
March 03, 2023 06:45AM
Hello,
I have a 2 axis draw machine using Marlin. It is kind of a decorative piece so it should be as silent as possible. I have replaced the board due to some faulty components and the new board (skr mini) has tmc2209 drivers. Just loading the same marlin config on it (i have only replaced the board type basically) resulted in much noisier motors. It went from unnoticable to a mildly irritating constant buzzing like when your fridge starts to work in the evening. This machine moves slow, 20mm/s slow.
i have never looked on the trinamic settings in marlin and just have learnt that there is a thing called stealthchop. Right now it is on the default marlin "12V" setting, there are no custom parameters.
i want to know how to reduce the noise to the minimum. This is not a power machine so losing some strength is ok.
Please advise what to change.
Thank you
VDX
Re: TMC2209 drivers are louder than TMC2208 with same fw
March 03, 2023 07:47AM
... have they the same microstepping and current settings? - higher microstepping reduces vibrations even with higher currents ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: TMC2209 drivers are louder than TMC2208 with same fw
March 03, 2023 09:24AM
They have 16 microstepping. Not sure if there is higher

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2023 09:27AM by daninet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login