Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sensorless Homing - Z Axis (Non-Lead Screw)

Posted by JackB 
Sensorless Homing - Z Axis (Non-Lead Screw)
March 10, 2023 12:07PM
Howdy howdy,

I am working on a pen plotter type device that uses a rack and pinion for my Z Axis (that moves the pen on and off the surface). I've been trying to use the sensorless homing to touch off the surface with the pen, but having issues. I have set up the X and Y axis properly, adjusted their sensitivity and validated that they work on my BTT skr mini E3, but when I try to use the Z Axis, it simply moves ~5-6mm and then stops. The travel seems to stay the same regardless of there it starts, so it doesn't seem to be a spike in current. I've tried the bare motor in both the Y Axis pins and the Z axis pins, and it seems to work just fine on the Y Axis.

My question: Is there something in the Marlin firmware that would be causing the behaviour to be different with the Z Axis compared to the Y and X Axis? I've combed through the config and adv config, but am worried I am missing something that has implications for how the homing sequence is run for the Z Axis.

Thanks much for any leads!
Re: Sensorless Homing - Z Axis (Non-Lead Screw)
March 10, 2023 12:29PM
I think you're running in unknown territory. Sensorless homing on belt driven systems works well. There's a caution about damaging machines with Z lead screws. Rack and pinion is unusual. I haven't found any mention of how well the two work together.

You may have to add a mechanical Z MAX endstop and then experiment with Z_MAX_POS to get acceptable results.
Re: Sensorless Homing - Z Axis (Non-Lead Screw)
March 10, 2023 02:02PM
Certainly unproven whether the rack and pinion will ultimately work. My current issue was that I was using the same motor (with no mechanism/transmission attached) and it was having different behaviour on the Y pins than the Z pins.

I believe I may have gotten something working though for the moment. I adjusted a couple of the Z Axis to make sure it matched the Y Axis completely (max acceleration, max feedrate, homing feedrate) and it seems now that I can replicate the Y Axis behaviour on the z axis. I think especially the homing feedrate was like 10x slower for the Z axis (which makes sense in other configurations) which means the baseline current is probably lower making a spike much harder to detect. I read that it works better at higher speeds, so this makes sense as to why the homing speed was relevant.

Thanks for the thoughts, Bob.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login