marlin download
March 20, 2023 03:57PM
hi every body im hoping some one can help me. ive been trying to download marlin to an old 3d printer that i bought a couple of years ago for a small price, how ever i had to upgrade my mother board and monitor as the ones that came with it were not very good. So i bought a btt skr 2 /1.3-32bit vgt6 motherboard and a touch screen btt tft24-v1.1 stm 32f sceen.which i bought a bout 12 months ago and have been trying to down load it till it got me stumped,i have joined many forums to ask but never got any replys.Any way i was watching a young man on youtube whome i followed to the t and was going well right up till i had to go into a folder where all the motherboards were except the one i have.so my question is can i use another btt boards configuration to be able to complete the download.sorry to have gone on a bit but im just stumped as im not very good at 3d printing at the moment.look forward to any replys and help so let me say a big thank you in advance.
all the best ian.
Re: marlin download
March 20, 2023 10:29PM
What printer do you have? Maybe there is an example config for your printer. Makes it a lot easier to start.
March 20, 2023 10:31PM
When you change the controller, you need to firmware that supports that controller.

The btt skr 2 and the btt skr 1.3 are different boards. Look at your controller, the name of the board is probably written on it, Both have been in stock marlin for some time.

BOARD_BTT_SKR_V2_0_REV_A // BigTreeTech SKR v2.0 Rev A (STM32F407VG)
BOARD_BTT_SKR_V2_0_REV_B // BigTreeTech SKR v2.0 Rev B (STM32F407VG/STM32F429VG)
BOARD_BTT_SKR_V1_3 // BigTreeTech SKR v1.3 (LPC1768)

You select the motherboard you have with a line like for eg. #define MOTHEBOARD BOARD_BTT_SKR_V2_0_REV_B in your Configuration.h file

No you cannot use another board, the board defines what MPU the controller has and what pins on the controller are used for what fuction.

It would probably help if you named your printer brand and model, and and provided the Configuration.h files your working with

Basically you start from here [marlinfw.org]
Download [github.com]

Then you go to [github.com]
And download all the example configurations [github.com]

extract both to your computer
look through the example configurations for your printer and copy the config files over the existing config files in Marlin

Then you open Marlin source in vscode/platormio [marlinfw.org]
And customize the Config files for you needs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2023 10:32PM by Dust.
March 21, 2023 03:06PM
hi bob, thank you for your quick reply most appretiated.well the printer is one that i bought of e bay for £70 about 2years ago, and it was a self build one and also a clone. how ever it worked well for a bit, obviously with a few problems. but i think they called it an anet but not 100% sure. however as i said i went and bought a new btt skr2 motherboard and btt screen but it only came with a firmware of theirs which doesnt seem to work so i thought id download marlin harder than i thought lol.
March 21, 2023 03:14PM
hi dust, thank you for you speedy reply, i much appreciate it, as i have joind many forums but got nothing lol.right i have since been and looked at my mother board and on there it says big tree tech skr2 v1.3 then on the little black chip thingy it says stm32f429 vgt6-9906e 9r-mys 99 120 5 but other than that icant see anything else on the motherboard.how ever i will wright down what you have said and try it this week end. once again thank you.
March 21, 2023 10:00PM
Ive never seen any that say skr2 v1.3, it must be a new revision.

Hopefully its still compatible with BOARD_BTT_SKR_V2_0_REV_B
March 22, 2023 05:22AM
Set your motherboard to BOARD_BTT_SKR_V2_0_REV_B and, in the Auto Build Marlin window, select either BIGTREE_SKR_2_F429 or BIGTREE_SKR_2_F429_USB, depending on if you're going to want to use a USB flash drive or not.

Setting up your BTT TFT24 is unusual. This display works in either of two modes:
  • TFT - acts as a stand alone smart interface. It talks to the controller via the TFT cable.
  • Marlin Emulation - it emulates a Marlin 12864 display via the EXP1 & 2 cables.

Per this page you need to do the following as a minimum:
  • Connect the EXP1, EXP2 and TFT cables
  • Select/enable REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
  • Set SERIAL_PORT to -1 (which enables the USB port) and BAUDRATE to what youwant.
  • Enable SERIAL _PORT_2 and set it to 1. Set BAUDRATE_1 to 115200. This enables the touchscreen mode to talk to Marlin.
  • There's lots of other options to set. See the above page for details.

By any chance do you have the config files used to build the old version of Marlin used on your old controller? If yes then copy/paste the settings from the old config files to the new. If not then just take your best guess and then adjust based on how the printer works. It's a long, tedious process.

If you're having issues with the build process then watch this video. I think it's the easiest way to compile Marlin. No messing with platformio.ini or selecting/downloading libraries.
March 22, 2023 01:44PM
hi bob, thank you for your help i really do appreciate it. i will try and do all youve said, just watched the video, they made it look so easy lol but ill have a go this weekend, and let you know how i get on. once again thank you.
March 22, 2023 01:48PM
hi dust,i bought it about a year ago but those are the only things i can see on the motherboard unfortunatly ive lost the paper work that came with it else i could have possibly told you a bit more but never mind any way thank you for all your help.
March 22, 2023 01:51PM
hi again bob forgot to tell you that the firmware that was on the old motherboard was not marlin but repatier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login