Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there a way to stop the current move but keep position?

Posted by JuKu 
Is there a way to stop the current move but keep position?
May 10, 2023 09:19AM
or what does "freeze" do anyway?

I'd like to be able to stop the current move mid-travel with deceleration and keeping motors powered, so that machine position is preserved. (I'm adapting an existing machine to Marlin and I don't want to rebuild the control handpiece. It has jog buttons, that on button press send a command to move towards machine limits. On button release, it sends a command to abort current move. The current controller has the command I'm asking here.) I'm ok to write the function to source, it the method isn't there already. For the latter, I need some pointers. I can write software, but I'm just starting with Marlin. Thank you for your insight!
VDX
Re: Is there a way to stop the current move but keep position?
May 10, 2023 11:37AM
... AFAIK all "safe" stops with known position will first end the actual move ... this could be even a pretty long one (had this with a 4m wide XZ-machine) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 10, 2023 12:01PM
Bummer. The software knows how to stop nicely. I'm not even close to figuring out how to code to ask it start stopping right now.
VDX
May 10, 2023 12:11PM
... ist there nowadays a G-code for "safe" stopping midway, before ending the actual move?

My hassles with this were some 8+ years ago - then no way to do this eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 10, 2023 12:16PM
TinyG board has had that function for ten years or so. Makes sense, it was designed for CNC control, before 3d-printing became big. The operator hand pieces were simple, just joystick style button (or separate buttons for each direction).
May 18, 2023 04:06AM
Doh! Marlin has joystick already. I haven’t played with it yet at all, but looking at a YouTube video, the movement control part is there already. In other words, I don’t need the answer to this question at all, I need to find out how to run the joystick code without a physical joystick. This is an order of magnitude easier problem. I’ll start a separate thread about that, if I don’t find an answer easily.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login