Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Independently, Manually Controlling Dual Axes

Posted by jbamb 
Independently, Manually Controlling Dual Axes
April 26, 2024 01:45AM
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a highly customized 3D printer setup!

I have a home-made printer using a RUMBA board with Marlin and stepper motors that I control via Printrun's Pronterface using my laptop. It has dual Z-axes configured so that each of my two Z-axes move together (both are plugged into separate ports with their own TMC drivers). I am aware of all the auto-leveling features, but none of them seem to allow me to manually control each axis independently for a brief moment (ie by sending the G1 command). I move them together 95% of the time under a single axis name, "Z", but 5% of the time I'd like to decouple them to move independently. I end up just manually twisting the lead screw with my hand, but it would be nice to be able to control them independently by sending G-code commands. I haven't found a workaround to do this, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
VDX
Re: Independently, Manually Controlling Dual Axes
April 26, 2024 04:12AM
... it's possible, but not so easy, to modify Marlin to do what you want - I had to tweak it for different reasons too some years ago.

Essentially you'll have to add some G-codes and change the parser for moving the spezific motors separate -- e.g. something like using "Z", "Z1" and "Z2" in your moving G-codes.

For example: "G1 X[xx] Y[yy] Z[zz] E[ee] F[ff]" will move both axes together - while ".. Z1[zz] .." or ".. Z2[zz] .." will move only the specified one

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 26, 2024 05:04AM
You cannot have axis Z1, Z2 etc this will break things badly

Gcode is space independent

so if you sent a G1Z120 did you mean move Z to 120 or move Z1 to 20, there is no way to tell.

This is also why we don't have E0,E1 etc, but only E with the T gcode to change the tool

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2024 05:14AM by Dust.
VDX
April 26, 2024 11:24AM
... then maybe "Z", "ZA" and "ZB"? ... while A and B arent used otherwise, the parser could solve it

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 26, 2024 12:45PM
Yes, this is exactly what I want to do! Do you have any pointers for what exactly I need to change in the firmware to get started in figuring this out? I am guessing it is not as simple as just overdefining additional axes with different names but overlapping pins. I am using all 6 axes available on my board with none defined as extruders. Each are individually defined in the firmware as X,Y,Z(dual),A,B. Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login