Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin and BLTouch problem

Posted by mopar 
Marlin and BLTouch problem
May 17, 2024 03:08PM
So I'm sure this has been beat to death and maybe my search juju sucks but I can't seem to find anything related to the exact problem I'm having.

I'm using Marlin 2.1 as I found a users post on github that's having a problem with latest version of Marlin on an 8bit board with bltouch giving skewed numbers on level of his bed. He said it does not happen on 2.1 according to him so I decided to save myself a potential problem and use the same version.

I'm adding an authentic bltouch v3.1 to my Makerfarm printer (ramps/meag2560). I seem to have it wired correctly. When I turn the printer on the probe cycles twice and the red led is on solid when the probe is stored. However if I try to deploy the probe from the lcd it does nothing. Tried storing thinking maybe the signal is flipped and the probe still did nothing. I had the Z 3" off the bed so I tried the home function and the X and Y axis went home then moved to middle of bed (well not really as it was 1-1/2" off in X and Y but that should be easy to solve) and started bringing the Z down w/o deploying the probe so I killed the power. I configured Marlin per Antclabs instructions. Though it was for 2.0 but I would think it should still be the same or similar. I've made changes as discussed per what I've read on multiple websites and nothing seems to make a difference. I am using VS with Marlin autobuild and PlatformIO add-ons. VS doesn't report any errors in the config.h and build and uploads it just fine.

The attached txt file has my probe and bed leveling settings from my config.h. Figured it would be easier then reading it in a post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2024 03:09PM by mopar.
Attachments:
open | download - bltouch.txt (34.4 KB)
Re: Marlin and BLTouch problem
May 18, 2024 05:53PM
There is a reported problem as of May 8, with 2.1.2.2. Very erratic results, 8-bit Mega2560 on bl/er touch. There is a bugfix, but I couldn't even compile it.
I'm back at 2.1.2.1, and having some bltouch problems with that!
May 18, 2024 08:34PM
I went to 2.1 and compiling and uploading it isn't a problem. I can't even get my bltouch to respond to any commands. Whether by pronterface or lcd. Can't figure it out. Tried 2.1.2.2 just for giggles today and compiling/uploading it wasn't a problem either. It's the hardware I seem to have a problem with. I've emailed Antclabs but haven't heard anything and it's been 4 days.
May 18, 2024 08:35PM
Honestly I'd be happy to run any version right now I don't care how old it is.
May 18, 2024 11:28PM
The bltouch consist of two parts, the control (emulates a servo) and the endstop trigger.

There are no reported issues with the control side of the bltouch

You provide only half the information...

Where is the bltouch plugged into? both sets of wires, but the 3 pin plug is the servo control.

From the partial config your have //#define Z_PROBE_SERVO_NR 0
So it defaults to the servo pin D11 (this presumes its a ramps 1.4, you omitted the MOTHERBOARD settings)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2024 11:32PM by Dust.
May 19, 2024 01:46PM
Dust
The bltouch consist of two parts, the control (emulates a servo) and the endstop trigger.

There are no reported issues with the control side of the bltouch

You provide only half the information...

Where is the bltouch plugged into? both sets of wires, but the 3 pin plug is the servo control.

From the partial config your have //#define Z_PROBE_SERVO_NR 0
So it defaults to the servo pin D11 (this presumes its a ramps 1.4, you omitted the MOTHERBOARD settings)

Not knowing why all of a sudden there was a repeatability problem I assumed nothing on what caused the problem. Hence why I decided to use an older version.

The bltouch is plugged in to my z min stop and the servo output closest to reset button which is D11.

I thought I mentioned the Ramps version (which I did not) which is 1.4 so I'm using BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB.

Due to probe cycling I know that it's at least getting power. Im just missing something software wise.
May 20, 2024 08:02AM
I don't know what your issue is.

I downloaded stock Marlin bugfix 2.1.x today [github.com], made 3 changes to the Configuration.h

#define BLTOUCH
#define Z_SAFE_HOMING
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

compiled and uploaded this to my RAMPS 1.4 on a Mega2560 (ramps 1.4 is the default motherboard)

plugged in a bltouch into the D11 servo plug, jumpered the vcc-5v jumper and it worked fist time, no issues

tested via LCD and via M280 gcode. all working as it should

Please take pictures of your board to show how you have it plugged in

Please attach full configuration files

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2024 08:15AM by Dust.
May 20, 2024 02:33PM
I'll try to get everything uploaded tonight. Maybe I screwed something up.

Other then having to reverse all of my steppers in Marlin, adding bltouch offset and changing the temp sensor for hotend I don't recall what else I changed that could screw anything up.

Unless I just got a faulty bltouch. I read somewhere that I should also see a blue light when probe is home maybe? I don't see it if I'm supposed to.

Thanks for the help so far Dust.
May 20, 2024 08:23PM
Here's my full config file. Post some pics shortly.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.txt (126.6 KB)
May 20, 2024 08:51PM
Pics of servo connection and endstop connection.

I had to make a servo extension. I have the bltouch brown connected to the blue wire, the center red wire to the black wire and the yellow wire to the red wire.

As for endstop, I have black to black and white to red.
Attachments:
open | download - 20240520_204202.jpg (2.14 MB)
open | download - 20240520_204045.jpg (2.19 MB)
May 20, 2024 11:14PM
really?

pictures that shows connectors that do not seem to be the real bltouch but some sort of extension cable. but no details of what colour is connected to what...

In your second picture

The red (which should normally be a 5v) Is connected to the signal pin
The black (which should normally be a gnd) Is connected to the 5v pin
The blue (which would normally be a signal) is connected to the gnd pin

But I have no idea if you swapped all the colours around from the real bltouch plug

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2024 12:02AM by Dust.
May 21, 2024 08:22AM
Dust
really?

pictures that shows connectors that do not seem to be the real bltouch but some sort of extension cable. but no details of what colour is connected to what...

In your second picture

[attachment 120941 servoplug.png]

The red (which should normally be a 5v) Is connected to the signal pin
The black (which should normally be a gnd) Is connected to the 5v pin
The blue (which would normally be a signal) is connected to the gnd pin

But I have no idea if you swapped all the colours around from the real bltouch plug

The 2nd paragraph in the post with the pics literally states I had to make an extension and what colors from bltouch are connected to which colors on the extension.

"I had to make a servo extension. I have the bltouch brown connected to the blue wire, the center red wire to the black wire and the yellow wire to the red wire."
May 21, 2024 08:47AM
A pic of RAMPS 1.4 connection on antclabs website shows the order of yellow, red/orange, and brown from inside out.

Unless I missed something this is just how I have my servo connection connected to my RAMPS board.
May 21, 2024 08:48AM
Sorry, I'm blind apparently

"bltouch brown connected to the blue wire", so blue is ground
"The center red wire to the black wire" so black is 5v
"yellow wire to the red wire" so red is signal

That seems correct then.

Check your red to bltouch yellow, this is the control signal that the deploy and retract signals comes over.
May 21, 2024 08:54AM
Your config shows your using 02010202

Don't use Marlin 2.1.2.2 from [github.com] it is very buggy, If you must use this version use Marlin 2.1.x [github.com] which is 2.1.2.2 with several nasty bugs fixed.

But I would use bugfix,2.1.x although 2.1.2.2 was only recently released, its is 2 years behind bugfix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2024 08:55AM by Dust.
May 21, 2024 09:10AM
I just tested your config on both Marlin 2.1.2.2 and Marlin 2.1.x

Deploy and retract works as expected,

NOTE: the bltouch will not trigger reliably under Marlin 2.1.2.2, but will in Marlin 2.1.x. I only tested deploy and retract
May 21, 2024 01:17PM
Dust
I just tested your config on both Marlin 2.1.2.2 and Marlin 2.1.x

Deploy and retract works as expected,

NOTE: the bltouch will not trigger reliably under Marlin 2.1.2.2, but will in Marlin 2.1.x. I only tested deploy and retract

Originally I tried bugfix 2.1.x and had same problem. So I tried 2.1.x non bug fix with same results. Then decided to try 2.1.2.2 I will check the connection tonight.

I assumed that since the probe deployed and retracted on startup my connections were good. Maybe not

Thanks.
May 21, 2024 01:26PM
Thats just the power on test, As long as it gets 5v it will do that on power up
May 22, 2024 04:55AM
So basically I forgot troubleshooting 101.

My extension is the problem. Connected the bltouch directly to the RAMPS shield and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login