Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

duet stand alone printing

Posted by sungod3k 
duet stand alone printing
April 05, 2016 06:48PM
Hi,

a half year ago I had started installing my Duet 0.65 and after it blew up I only got around now to reinstall the replacement. In the meantime I had moved my printer to my office (a glorified garage with spotty wifi) and printed a lot over ramps + display/SD.
Now I was looking at the "stand alone" printing options but buying a panel due is to expensive atm.

So I was wondering since the Duet has the SD card already on board (and the reprappro documentation describes/recommends sending the gcode to the card first and then from from it) if once the print is started the connection the PC still necessary is?
Similarly the question for the wifi option. Once the print is started does the wifi connection need to be there all the time or can the board handle everything autonomously?

In case the board still need a host PC the cheaper option compared to the panel due is probably a rasberry pi right? or is there another option that im missing?
Re: duet stand alone printing
April 05, 2016 10:47PM
No host PC is required at all, if you had a PanelDue screen and you uploaded your files directly to the SD card then you could operate your printer without ever connecting it to a computer.

Without a PanelDue then you need a web something that can run a web browser to concect to the printer and use the web interface

I normally use the PC to slice the STL, and upload the file to the printer, and then use a tablet to actually control the print and monitor it whilst in operation, one printer does have a panelDue which is handy, but its a little limited compared to the web interface.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
April 06, 2016 01:33AM
Once you have started a print, you don't need any connection to the printer unless you want to pause or stop it or change the speed etc. It is always safe to disconnect the web interface, and in my fork it is safe to disconnect the USB too. Some versions of other forks may stall if you start the print from a USB-connected PC and then disconnect the USB cable.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 06, 2016 05:15AM
Ok great, thats what I wanted to hear.Thanks
April 08, 2016 12:43PM
Couple days late, but I wanted to mention the TP-Link Nano Router can be used to give your Duet WiFi via the ethernet port but it can also be used as a repeater which might boost the WiFi connection in your garage. Just a thought incase you weren't aware of it, runs $15 to $30 on Amazon depending on the model (N150 vs. N300).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login