Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet 0.8.5 with Material Switching Bowden

Posted by PDBeal 
Duet 0.8.5 with Material Switching Bowden
November 03, 2016 10:59AM
So i am intrigued by the Prometheus dual filament single nozzle extruder setup, but after contacting the guy they aren't willing to piece-mill the setup since I don't want his extruders or the hotend. However, looking at Thingiverse, I ran into a Material Switching Bowden device. It looks like it would be for 3mm, but I plan to redesign it in Onshape for 1.75mm and to use the bowden tube couplers I have on hand.

Anyhow, this got me wondering what I would have to do the my config.g to handle 2 extruders with 1 heater. I presume it would be similar to the diamond hotend configuration apart from using firmware retraction. I am correct in assuming the following two lines in the configuration for 2 tools but 1 heater?
M563 P0 D0 H1         ; tool 0 uses extruder drive 0 and heater 1
G10 P0 S0 R0 X0 Y0  ; set tool 0 temperatures and offsets
M563 P1 D1 H1         ; tool 1 uses extruder drive 1 and heater 1
G10 P1 S0 R0 X0 Y0   ; set tool 1 temperatures and offsets

As for the filament switching, I know I can do something in slicer, but I think it might be better to do it in the tfree0.g, tpre0.g and tpost0.g files? So my question with this setup, tfree0.g is run when a tool is disabled? Does this run before tpre0.g is run? Just trying to figure out which would be done in a certain order switching from T0 to T1 and back to T0?

This also brings up the question of what will happen with the temperatures for T0 and temperatures for T1 if they're both using H1. Does the standby temperatures even need to be used or is the duet 0.8.5 firmware smart enough to know its the same heater?
Re: Duet 0.8.5 with Material Switching Bowden
November 03, 2016 01:40PM
Yes that configuration looks OK. See [duet3d.com] for a summary.

On a tool change, the sequence is:

1. If a tool is already active, run its tfree file, and when that has finished set the tool to standby.

2. Run the tpre file for the new tool.

3. Switch to the new tool, set its heaters to their active temperature, then run the tpost file.

Typically you don't need anything in the tpre file.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 03, 2016 03:25PM
If it's the same as the Diamond, i.e. one nozzle/heater but multiple filaments/inputs, then I find it useful to set the tools to the same active and standby temperatures in the start G-code of Slic3R like this:

G10 P0 S195 R195 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
G10 P1 S195 R195 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures
G10 P2 S195 R195 ; Set tool 2 operating and standby temperatures
G10 P3 S195 R195 ; Set tool 3 operating and standby temperatures
(that's for a 4 tool definition obviously)

Then when you change tools within the g-code file, you don't have to wait around for any heating up or cooling down.

I recently played around with tfree\pre\post but found it bothersome that these macros are run whenever a tool is selected, rather than when it is changed. I always like to manually check that all 3 filaments can be extruded at the start of the day and my tfree\post were getting on the way of that. It depends on what you want to do but I ended up taking the commands out of the macros and putting them into the "Tool change g-code" section of Slic3R. You may find this thread useful [www.duet3d.com]
HTH
November 03, 2016 03:55PM
Fwiw in fimware version 1.16 the macros are not run if you select the tool that is already selected.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 03, 2016 04:02PM
Is tfree0.g run when a printjob is cancelled from the PanelDue interface assuming T0 was the current active tool at the time of the cancel?
November 03, 2016 04:16PM
If you don't have a cancel.g file, then yes. If you do have a cancel.g file, then it's up to you whether to leave the current tool selected, or execute T-1 to deselect it.

November 04, 2016 05:18AM
There's also this design for 1.75mm.
I have it running (not on my Duet though, yet) and it's working surprisingly well.
November 04, 2016 06:55AM
dc42
Fwiw in fimware version 1.16 the macros are not run if you select the tool that is already selected.

That's good. Thanks David.
November 04, 2016 03:10PM
mandrav
I have it running (not on my Duet though, yet) and it's working surprisingly well.

That's good to know. I presume your doing it with tool change code in Slic3r or S3D?
November 05, 2016 03:57AM
PDBeal
mandrav

That's good to know. I presume your doing it with tool change code in Slic3r or S3D?

I use it with Cura because Slic3r does not support prime towers unfortunately.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login