Duet Ethernet available

Posted by dc42 
Duet Ethernet available
April 14, 2017 07:20AM
From the Duet3D forum:

Tony
We have a limited number of production Duet Ethernet boards now on our webshop:

[www.duet3d.com]

(I know, the link says DuetWifi but the listing allows you to select either a Wifi or Ethernet!)

Some are also enroute to Tim at Filastruder for those of you the other side of the pond!

The production run is ongoing so if these sell out over the easter weekend we will have more arriving next week. Also as it is a bank holiday weekend here in the UK we wont be shipping anything until Tuesday next week.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Duet Ethernet available
April 14, 2017 01:35PM
Great news!
Is it Gigabit ethernet or 100Mbit? The Raspberry Wifi is 450Mbit fast, so 100MBit would be a step back. Or is the upload-bottleneck elsewhere?
April 14, 2017 04:25PM
o_lampe
Great news!
Is it Gigabit ethernet or 100Mbit? The Raspberry Wifi is 450Mbit fast, so 100MBit would be a step back. Or is the upload-bottleneck elsewhere?

It's 100Mbits/sec. The upload speed is limited by the speed at which we can write to the SD card, and the speed at which we can process the data. With a clean SD card, I get around 1.2Mbytes/sec, so it takes less than 10 seconds to upload a 10Mbyte gcode file - much less than the time takes to bring a printer up to temperature. The Duet WiFi has a similar upload speed on a good WiFi connection.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 15, 2017 04:07AM
I had problems with the Duet 0.6 to connect it directly to a Windows-PC. Always needed a switch or router. Tried it with DHCP and fixed IP settings.
Is the new Duet-ETH easier to connect?

Actually I already made up my mind and get the DuetWiFi. Just want to be sure, I don't oversee THE huge advantage of the Duet-ETH, but there seems to be none for me. ( I bought the Duet 0.6 right before the Duet 0.85 was released ) eye rolling smiley
April 15, 2017 06:10AM
o_lampe
I had problems with the Duet 0.6 to connect it directly to a Windows-PC. Always needed a switch or router. Tried it with DHCP and fixed IP settings.
Is the new Duet-ETH easier to connect?

To connect a Duet 0.6 or Duet Ethernet directly to a PC you would need to set fixed IP addresses at both ends (no DHCP) on the same subnet. You might also need to use a crossover cable, depending on the PC.

o_lampe
Actually I already made up my mind and get the DuetWiFi. Just want to be sure, I don't oversee THE huge advantage of the Duet-ETH, but there seems to be none for me. ( I bought the Duet 0.6 right before the Duet 0.85 was released ) eye rolling smiley

Whether the Duet WiFi or the Duet Ethernet is the best choice for you depends on your situation. In a typical home environment where the WiFi spectrum is not too crowded and the Duet will get a good WiFi signal from your router, the WiFi is easiest. In many commercial environments, wired Ethernet is preferred. The Duet Ethernet may also be a better choice if you live in an apartment block and the 2.4GHz WiFi band is very congested, so you can't be sure of getting a reliable signal.

For the benefits of the Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet over the Duet 0.6/0.8.5, see [duet3d.com].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login