Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duex2 to Duex5 upgrade

Posted by fma 
fma
Duex2 to Duex5 upgrade
July 05, 2017 05:09AM
Hi!

I'm about to order my Duet wifi. To implement my 4 axis setup, I will need an additional motor driver. So, a Duetx2 is enough. On the other hand, I think I will switch to an active mixing hotend, as soon as a good one is out. So, more motors drivers will be needed.

Is it possible to upgrade a Duetx2 to a Duetx5 later? Do they share the same PCB? Do I only need to solder the connectors, TMC chips and there surround components?

Thanks,

Frédéric
Re: Duex2 to Duex5 upgrade
July 05, 2017 06:44AM
Yes it's possible. As well as adding the extra motor drivers and associated components, you need to remove R4 R19 and R20 and add R66. See the schematic at [github.com]. Best place to ask for more info would be on the duet3d.com forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2017 06:44AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
fma
July 05, 2017 07:22AM
Ok, thanks! I'll subscribe to duet3d.com forum...

Frédéric
July 05, 2017 09:43AM
I'd add a single external stepper driver PCB ( eg. from Keyes ). You don't have the comfortable software current setting and the super smooth interpolated microstepping, but there a good plugin drivers with 128 microsteps.
fma
July 05, 2017 09:56AM
As said, I will need more drivers in the future. Better buy the Duetx2 now, and do a smooth upgrade if needed; it may not be available in a few months/years (because of new boards).

Frédéric
July 05, 2017 02:01PM
If you know that you will need more drivers in the future, then I suggest you go straight for the DueX5.

The alternative if the drivers will only be used to drive extruders and you are comfortable doing electronics is to buy a RAMPS bare PCB and populate it with the bypass capacitors and driver sockets, then add plug-in drivers. See [duet3d.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login