Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

print froze halfway up

Posted by shadowphile 
print froze halfway up
January 24, 2018 02:17PM
I have duet ethernet and using slic3r 1.2.9.
Gcode analyzer online says the correct height but model info in the web interface says about where the print stopped in reality.
Specifically, the web interface status line said the print was 100% done WAY early, like a dozen layers in. It still continued to graph printing layers until it froze with the nozzle at temperature all night with the point buried in the layer (which appears to have finished btw).
I've included the gcode on gist (new to this so it may not work):

Is it possible this is a firmware problem? I've had frozen prints in the past (previous duet board, .85) figured it was a slicer problem. I would usually tweak some setting just a hair to jostle the calculations around and unblock whatever the cause was.
But I need to figure out how to prevent these before they happen. Nothing in the gcode leaps out at me and the online gcode analyzer seems to interpret correctly. (gcode.ws, not sure how that can be a complete address but it's all the URL shows). I lost a long print last night for work and it was looking so good! (it was a 150 um layer with a .25 nozzle).
thanks
Re: print froze halfway up
January 24, 2018 03:29PM
One possibly cause of the print freezing is a failure to read the data from the SD card.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 24, 2018 07:36PM
maybe. in the past it stopped at exactly the same spot when I ran the job again. could be a bad spot in the memory I suppose. i can't test until I finish this current run which will take all day.

the other long-running thing bugging me is how uploaded models are displayed during print, maybe due to limitations of Slic3r?
Right now I'm printing a large file, here are the status values:
-says the height is 300mm. ALL models say that in the file information. missing from the file?
-it says i'm on layer 8 of 1999 layers. The 8 is correct but i only have 100 levels. At this moment it says I am 23% complete. None of these number are consistent because 8 out of 100 is not 23%

(is it so hard to go through a file to calculate exact runtimes using some established default accel and jerk settings?)
January 25, 2018 03:24AM
I had this layer fault myself lately. It is because you have some moves in the slicer end code without extrusion ( parking the hotend etc...)
You have to add ;E or ; E behind those lines.

I have also seen a bug, where the layer count is always "2", but the print doesn't stop there. It's just the estimated print duration based on layer count doesn't work. IMHO it happens, when I set infill every 2 layer option in slic3r.
January 25, 2018 03:25AM
You probably have a G1 Z300 command in your ending gcode. Add a comment beginning with ;E or ; E at the end of that line to avoid it being interpreted as the object height.

The % complete figure is not based on layers, it is based on filament consumption if the total filament needed is known or on the proportion of the file read.

You can use the M37 command to get an accurate print time before you print.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 27, 2018 04:14PM
yes, it seems to use the z in the last move command as the height, but ending with ;E didn't change that.
I'm trying to not home after a print because I then lose my manual tweaked offset if I want to just run another part right away.
This is the last chunk of code:

G1 Z8.150 F9600.000
M107
M104 S0 ; turn off temperature
;G28 X0 ; home X axis
;M84 ; disable motors
G0 F5000 Z300
;E
January 28, 2018 03:18AM
The ;E needs to be at the end of the G0 Z300 line, not on a separate line. It tells the firmware to ignore that line when scanning for the height.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login