Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extending cable for paneldue

Posted by daninet 
Extending cable for paneldue
July 24, 2022 02:43PM
Hello!
Duet2 wifi + 5" paneldue
I'm using the 4wire paneldue connector to communicate with an arduino so I'm stuck with the conn_sd 10pin connector. My issue is that I need 800mm cable between the board and the paneldue and the communication is just not working for the screen. The cable is perfect, I tested it. I did read in the manual the recommended length is 300mm max. My question is if I don't need the sd card function could I get away with a shielded cat6 ethernet cable? Provided that there is at least 1 pin I don't need to use for the sd card. I could shield the cable with the gnd so i would have 9 conductors total. Would this work? Also whick pin I could omit to try this?
VDX
Re: Extending cable for paneldue
July 24, 2022 04:04PM
... you can "elongate" even unshielded cable by soldering some resistors with ranges from 100 to around 470 Ohms (depends on circumstances) into the data lines -- they some sort of "damping" the noise smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 24, 2022 05:43PM
I will try it tomorrow and let you know. Thanks
July 25, 2022 02:12AM
The 4-pin connector and the ribbon cable connector use the same transmit and receive signals. So you can't use both connectors for different communication.

You may be able to pass the PanelDue signals through the Arduino, as we do when connecting a CNC pendant. Alternatively, can you use I2C to communicate with the Arduino instead?

For more help visit [forum.duet3d.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 25, 2022 02:21AM
I'm using the neopixel rings mod for the BLV MGN Cube printer. The arduino basically just listening to the data. It is working fine and with a short 300mm cable I don't have any trouble using the screen at the same time. My issue is the cable length here.
July 26, 2022 04:02PM
You can use a 4 wire cables up to at least 2m long with PanelDue. If you really do have comms with both PanelDue and Arduino working off the same port, you could connect both cables to the 4-pin connector.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login