Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet development news

Posted by dc42 
Re: Duet development news
June 11, 2016 07:52PM
dc42
drmaestro
I'd like to use the new duet however there are two problems. The first one is about PayPal. Unfortunately they had to stop their activities in my country due to licensing problems since the beginning of june. Are you going to offer another option for paying (credit card). The second problem is about customs. If the declared value is over 75 euros, the board is going to be examined by customs. While this is ok and I am willing to pay for the tax, anything related to 3d printing is considered to be an industrial item and I need to be a company to be able to pick it fron the customs. Is there a way to declare it under 75 euros?

I suggest you get in touch with ThinkDPrint3D - they will be taking payment and dispatching the boards.

Which country are you in?

I am in Turkey.
June 13, 2016 11:22AM
Regarding the WiFi issue, I am also a person who usually prefers wired connections. Wired is more reliable and does not share bandwidth. In my area I get interference that periodically interrupts my WiFi for many seconds (I've never tracked down where it's coming from). However in the case of my 3D printer, I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. It will allow greater flexibility in where I put the printer without having a long trailing Cat5 cable across the floor. It is no big deal if the connection is interrupted during a print, and if I ever need to connect to the printer from a location that does not have WiFi, I can always use a cheap WiFi dongle and create an ad-hoc hotspot - heck you can even do that with a mobile phone (not that I would recommend it for this purpose). Technically it is also better for the CPU to concentrate on printing tasks rather than handling the LAN and TCP/IP connection stack. A "broadcast storm" is quite common on some networks and can use up quite a lot of CPU cycles.

As a fairly easily implemented firmware feature, perhaps the config file could have a list of SSIDs and passwords from which the firmware selects the strongest signal at powerup for those of us who frequently use the printer in alternate locations. I do not like leaving the printer unattended for long periods and so tend to move the printer to whatever place I will be spending most of my time during the course of the print, and some places are served by different WiFi networks. As the list will be parsed only once after reset, it could be made open-ended to accommodate as many WiFi SSIDs as needed. It may also be handy for the printer to list the available SSID's via the USB interface for the user to select from, at which point it is automatically added to the list.

Dave
June 13, 2016 12:41PM
The first pre-production Duet WiFi board was shipped today, and a few more will be shipped tomorrow. Everyone on the list for pre-production boards should by now have received an email from T3P3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 12:42PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 14, 2016 04:51PM
Hi David. Is there any news about the release date and final specs?
June 14, 2016 08:20PM
uvarovkv
Hi David. Is there any news about the release date and final specs?

you could sign up at [www.duet3d.com]

David did say the duet site would be first to get the new news smiling smiley

Cheers
June 15, 2016 04:25PM
[www.duet3d.com]

Announced!
June 15, 2016 04:39PM
Wow! TMC2660 stepper drivers!
June 15, 2016 04:50PM
If i had a printer to build and no duet 0.8.5 laying around, I would immediately pre order !

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
June 15, 2016 05:07PM
David, is there any chances that FTP will be supported again? How to edit Web UI files now?
June 15, 2016 05:16PM
uvarovkv
Wow! TMC2660 stepper drivers!

Yes, we saved the best announcement till last. I guess you're happy you ordered that pre-production board!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 15, 2016 05:19PM
roboprint
David, is there any chances that FTP will be supported again? How to edit Web UI files now?

You can find the web UI source files in my fork of chrishamm's Duet Web Control repository here [github.com]. Included there is a Windows script to build the DuetWebControl.bin file that you install on the WiFi module.

June 15, 2016 06:26PM
Excellent news all around! Hope that they don't run out of the beta's before they get to me on the list winking smiley For the time being I'm going to put it into my existing delta, the drivers should make a decent impact there. I have to put my h-bot build on a tiny hold, as I'm moving house soon, but I'll certainly be putting one in there as well. Nice work!
June 16, 2016 07:33AM
I just looked at the datasheet for the TMC2660. Impressive!

I see it can detect motor load so the firmware could implement automatic setting of motor drive current, fault detection of failed or unlubricated mechanics, blocked nozzle or too fast extrusion, (maybe slow print speed automatically if the extruder is skipping) and you could also implement end-stop detection without needing a limit switch. Food for thought in future firmware?

I also saw the application suggestion that used a TMC429 three motor controller so I looked at its datasheet also. That seems to be an excellent device as well - you set it up with velocity and acceleration and then tell it to move the motors to a particular position, and it takes care of all the calculations. Which sounds like it might be able to offload a lot of the calculations from the main CPU.

Dave
June 16, 2016 08:43AM
Yes, the TMC2660 drivers are very versatile. We first need to implement dynamically-varying microstepping so that we can use the full 256x microstepping potential without the aid of interpolation. After that, standstill current reduction and coolStep are on the list, to allow us to driver higher current stepper motors. Probably stall detection after that.

The TMC429 wouldn't be any use to us unless we can reprogram it to generate moves for delta printers.

June 16, 2016 09:39AM
Should I be looking at anything special in the way of extruder stepper motors to take advantage of any of this? I'll shortly be ordering 3 off E3D titans (thanks for the idea DC42 although initially I thought they were too expensive) and I was just going add whatever steppers they (E3d) supply.
June 16, 2016 12:36PM
Just preordered smiling smiley

Is there a way to get X,Y,Z,E0,and E1 (enable, step and dir) out? That would require 15 extra connectors pins obviously or are the test points large enough?
I was thinking for my large build that if 2 amps are not enough I would get some gecko or such.
I guess it would be relevant at least for x, y and z since it's a delta that would mean a total of 3x3 connections and I guess this could be just the through holes pads, no need to actually solder a connector on the shipped version.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but, on the ramps... it's quite is easy to get access to those pins from the drivers sockets.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2016 01:00PM by sgawad.
June 16, 2016 03:15PM
deckingman
Should I be looking at anything special in the way of extruder stepper motors to take advantage of any of this? I'll shortly be ordering 3 off E3D titans (thanks for the idea DC42 although initially I thought they were too expensive) and I was just going add whatever steppers they (E3d) supply.

I should point out that I haven't tried the Titan yet. E3D hardware is generally well-designed; nevertheless you might want to see read some reviews before you commit to buying three of them. Regarding stepper motors, with about 3:1 gearing (same as the Titan) I find 34mm long motors with about 22Ncm torque adequate for driving 1.75mm PLA, although a little more torque won't do any harm.

June 16, 2016 03:20PM
sgawad

Is there a way to get X,Y,Z,E0,and E1 (enable, step and dir) out? That would require 15 extra connectors pins obviously or are the test points large enough?
I was thinking for my large build that if 2 amps are not enough I would get some gecko or such.
I guess it would be relevant at least for x, y and z since it's a delta that would mean a total of 3x3 connections and I guess this could be just the through holes pads, no need to actually solder a connector on the shipped version.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but, on the ramps... it's quite is easy to get access to those pins from the drivers sockets.

There is no easy way to get access to the signals for the on-board XYZ E0 E1 drivers. However, there are signals for the 5 additional stepper motors on the expansion connector. You can remap the XYZ signals to three of those if you want to use external drivers, and remap the on-board XYZ drivers to drive extruders.

We hope to push the current beyond 2A in the future, but it will require some firmware changes to control the driver temperatures.

June 16, 2016 03:24PM
dc42
sgawad

There is no easy way to get access to the signals for the on-board XYZ E0 E1 drivers. However, there are signals for the 5 additional stepper motors on the expansion connector. You can remap the XYZ signals to three of those if you want to use external drivers, and remap the on-board XYZ drivers to drive extruders.

We hope to push the current beyond 2A in the future, but it will require some firmware changes to control the driver temperatures.

Just to add, we have a customer experimenting with exactly this using the massmind THB6064 based drivers and the expansion header on the Duet 0.8.5. Once her has his setup up and running i am hoping he will publish more info.

Would there be interest in an expansion connector breakout PCB that made the 5 stepper drive signals available either for IDC compatible pin headers or Pololu style drivers?
June 16, 2016 03:47PM
Is it possible right now in firmware to have two or three z axes (think one lead screw centered at the back of the bed, one at each front corner), and have each with its own endstop? This way each z motor would home independently, but work in unison during the actual print. I've never really liked the probe and software compensation (limits you to a non-reflective surface, an make matters worse if you have a multi leadscrew setup and the motors gradually get out of sync, and puts the nozzle at an angle to the print surface), but would still like to have automatic bed leveling.

My setup right now consists of two motors in series to a single driver, and a single endstop with the four corner bed leveling. The problem with this is I have to worry about both the bed leveling and the motors running in sync at the same time. Of course this would require extra drivers on the expansion header.
June 16, 2016 04:56PM
Masterjuggler
Is it possible right now in firmware to have two or three z axes (think one lead screw centered at the back of the bed, one at each front corner), and have each with its own endstop? This way each z motor would home independently, but work in unison during the actual print. I've never really liked the probe and software compensation (limits you to a non-reflective surface, an make matters worse if you have a multi leadscrew setup and the motors gradually get out of sync, and puts the nozzle at an angle to the print surface), but would still like to have automatic bed leveling.

My setup right now consists of two motors in series to a single driver, and a single endstop with the four corner bed leveling. The problem with this is I have to worry about both the bed leveling and the motors running in sync at the same time. Of course this would require extra drivers on the expansion header.

This is not yet supported, however we have plans to support three independent Z motors, driven synchronously most of the time but independently when levelling the bed. We would use a Z probe to do the levelling and homing, not endstop switches.

June 16, 2016 05:00PM
As long as the probe is to calibrate the lead screws and not implement firmware compensation, that sounds like a viable solution. If at all possible, I would still like to see separate endstop capability though to remove the need for a probe dangling from the hotend, adding weight to the gantry. And I'm assuming two instead of three independent z motors is an option too if you're going straight to three?

Of course, I absolutely love the firmware, and I'm using the duet 0.6 right now with absolutely no problems. Thanks for taking so much feedback form everyone!
June 16, 2016 05:37PM
T3P3
dc42
sgawad

Just to add, we have a customer experimenting with exactly this using the massmind THB6064 based drivers and the expansion header on the Duet 0.8.5. Once her has his setup up and running i am hoping he will publish more info.

Would there be interest in an expansion connector breakout PCB that made the 5 stepper drive signals available either for IDC compatible pin headers or Pololu style drivers?

I would be interested in a breakout to run external drivers. I have two 5 phase .36deg per step motors I'm using in the machine I'm building, and I'll be doing something similar to what you described. I'll roll my own, but it's always easier to buy it already done winking smiley
June 16, 2016 05:57PM
deckingman

The default nema17 supplied by E3D with the Titan seems to be fairly generic unit that does the job just fine, No doubt a shorter lighter unit will also work but if the total weight really isn't at issue then why bother.
For your 3 way extruder setup,it may be needed but again the default unit is a good cheap starting point known to work.

I'm really happy I went with 0.9 Nema23's now for my delta xyz and Duetwifi is definitely going into it... Seems like the developers are being conservative with current ratings for the drivers to cater for uncooled boards...
June 16, 2016 06:09PM
Lets collate a wishlist for this expansion break out here:
[www.duet3d.com]

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
June 16, 2016 06:10PM
dc42
sgawad

Perfect! it would be perfect for a backup plan. thank you
June 16, 2016 09:42PM
~15Ncm is sufficient for 1.75mm filament on a Titan.

Echoing others: Great work here guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2016 09:45PM by greenman100.
June 17, 2016 02:15AM
deckingman

Titans are ok. They bring geared to direct drive, but to be fair they are not that nice for filament insertion. Not awful, but not nice either. I put them on my BigBox, but not sure they will stay there forever.

This new duet seems really nice. I have no need for it, but with all things coming along (multiple Z, breakout board for more extruders, nice drivers, etc etc) ... I am considering getting one pre ordered even if I have no need today. Just to go ve support :-)

PS: I now use this on the titan direct drive
[eu.stepperonline.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 02:16AM by Fpex.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
June 17, 2016 02:39AM
I Would Echo the concerns with the Titan I put one on My delta and struggled with it to get a decent print without jamming/Stripping.
Went back to the original Mendel Mini extruder and issues disappeared I think the issue came down to the Length of the Bowden Tube (Mine is 800 mm long).

I think as the pressure builds up and the friction of the tube is just to much for the Titan to cope with it seems to lay down the first few layers ok but then starts to skip and then strips the filament unless I slow the whole printer down ie down to something like 25mm/s print speeds It normally runs nearer to 120 (and is capable of faster).

I haven't yet experimented with shorter tube as I am at the minimum really that I can get away with (Printer is 1 mtr tall with 500 mm sides)

on Smaller Deltas with more modest Bowden setups it may be OK.

Doug
June 17, 2016 04:01AM
dougal1957
I Would Echo the concerns with the Titan I put one on My delta and struggled with it to get a decent print without jamming/Stripping.
Went back to the original Mendel Mini extruder and issues disappeared I think the issue came down to the Length of the Bowden Tube (Mine is 800 mm long).

I think as the pressure builds up and the friction of the tube is just to much for the Titan to cope with it seems to lay down the first few layers ok but then starts to skip and then strips the filament unless I slow the whole printer down ie down to something like 25mm/s print speeds It normally runs nearer to 120 (and is capable of faster).

I haven't yet experimented with shorter tube as I am at the minimum really that I can get away with (Printer is 1 mtr tall with 500 mm sides)

on Smaller Deltas with more modest Bowden setups it may be OK.

Doug

Apologies off topic-----

Time to do a flying extruder, at 200mm of tube, the only issues have been actually blockages caused by crappy filament at which point the Titan just eats the filament... I have found that the tension nut needs to be done up a fair way.. This is with PLA... be interesting when i switch to ABS, still waiting on PET tape to arrive from china...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login