Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing microsteps:

Posted by gernoff 
Changing microsteps:
February 23, 2016 07:49PM
While searching I found only one reference to changing the microsteps on the Duet via jumpering the MS1 and MS2 pads.
Can someone please outline how to select full, half and quarter stepping modes. Obviously 16 microsteps is both pairs open.

Thanks for the information.

Erik
Re: Changing microsteps:
February 24, 2016 04:45AM
What is your reason for wanting to change microsteps? I can't think of any situation in which using less than 16x microstepping would offer any advantage, unless you are aiming for extreme movement speeds (for which you would also need to run the Duet close to its maximum voltage of 35V).

To see what the MS1 and MS2 pads do to the microstepping, look at Table 1 in the A4982 datasheet here [www.allegromicro.com]. There is a fine trace between each pair of MS1 and MS2 pads on the Duet, which keeps MS1 and MS2 high (H). Cutting that trace will change it to low (L).

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 25, 2016 08:17AM
My microstepping on one driver seems to be lower than on the other drivers. Its kind of weird it just "happens". I think the board is broken. So bridging those pads could be the solution?
February 25, 2016 09:23AM
Karatektus
My microstepping on one driver seems to be lower than on the other drivers. Its kind of weird it just "happens". I think the board is broken. So bridging those pads could be the solution?

I guess it's possible that the trace between the two pads is broken, but I think it's more likely that one of the MS input pins of the A4982 driver chip isn't soldered down. That would cause the microstepping to be 1/2 or 1/4 instead of 1/16.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 25, 2016 10:04AM
yeah - i checked the pads they are connected. I will try resoldering the chip next.
February 25, 2016 11:00AM
MS1 and MS2 are pins 5 and 6 on the chip.

February 25, 2016 11:03AM
they all look fine... i also couldnt reproduce the error so far. Its kind of annoying grinning smiley its about time replikeo gets back to me... they sure take their time
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login