Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Duet Web Control 1.10 and RepRapFirmware 1.09v-ch

Posted by chrishamm 
New Duet Web Control 1.10 and RepRapFirmware 1.09v-ch
March 02, 2016 07:22AM
I'm pleased to release Duet Web Control 1.10 and RepRapFirmware 1.09v-ch. In case you're wondering why there is a gap between this and my latest releases: I pushed other versions to GitHub last week but never actually released them.

The highlights of these new versions are:
  • Firmware updates using the web interface (via M997)
  • Updated LWIP stack from v1.4.0 to v1.4.1
  • Several networking improvements
  • mDNS support
  • Implemented M143 (set maximum heater temperature)
  • Improved layer detection
In order to use the web interface for firmware updates, you have to upload a file called "iap.bin" once to the /sys directory. This file can be obtained here: [github.com] After that, you can upload your RepRapFirmware*.bin file using the upload button on the Settings page and follow the instructions. For those who are curious how it works: The iap binary is written to the last 64K of Flash memory and then started by RepRapFirmware. It then reads "RepRapFirmware.bin" from /sys and overwrites the old firmware before it reboots. Just be aware that this feature is still experimental, but it has been working quite nicely on my machines.

Anyway, here the whole changelog since Duet Web Control 1.08:

Duet Web Control v1.10
- Added support for autonomous firmware updates
- Fan RPM field can be hidden on the Settings page
- DWC asks for page reload after web interface update
- ZIP file uploads are now only allowed on Macros and Settings pages
- Minor other changes

Duet Web Control v1.09
- Replaced textarea autoresize library to fix issues with the dark theme
- Warm-up time on the print status page always uses firmware value
- Moved web cam integration panel on the settings page to the centre
- Added margin below config file textarea
- Bug fix: Web cam integration generated a faulty URL

And the corresponding changelog for my latest firmware versions:

RepRapFirmware 1.09u-ch and RepRapFirmware 1.09v-ch
- Recompiled with updated Arduino board files

RepRapFirmware 1.09t-ch
- Firmware reports new 'F' status character to indicate when a new firmware is about to be flashed
- G32 is now allowed even if no axes are homed (if bed.g is used)
- Implemented M143 (Set maximum heater temperature)
- Enabled M997 (Perform autonomous firmware update)
- Changed USB manufacturer to "RepRap"
- Improved networking subsystem to deal better with connection resets
- TCP polling timers are only called while data is sent (for retransmissions)
- Webserver keeps LwIP running while file info responses are processed
- Bug fix: Macros didn't send responses to the right destinations
- Bug fix: Object heights were not detected if G-code was follwed by comment

RepRapFirmware 1.09s-ch
- Added and tested mDNS support
- Improved and simplified layer detection algorithm
- Layer-based estimation is made when the first layer has been finished
- Reduced PrintMonitor update interval to 200ms
- File prints can be interrupted again using stack codes
- Parts of the G-code queue rewritten and enabled queuing for macro files
- G1 R1 codes are now processed in GCodes::LoadMoveBufferFromCode
- Moved a few classes to (almost) match dc42's file structure
- Merged in recent changes from 1.09q-alpha3 and 1.09r-dc42 (thanks wrangellboy and dc42)
- Updated Makefiles for new Arduino tree and for different directory structure
- Slightly improved pbuf memory usage in the networking code
- Updated README and removed change lists
- Removed RTC module from HSMCI driver (for now)
- Removed limitation to send network data to only one client at a time
- Bug fix: Hopefully fixed unreliable network connections for some users
- Bug fix: M24 and M226/M25 occasionally hung up
- Bug fix: M99 didn't cancel nested macros
- Bug fix: Progress bar on web interface jumped around during resume
- Bug fix: First layer height detection didn't work for some slicers
- Bug fix: HTTP sessions weren't cleaned up in the right order (thanks dc42)
- Preparations for automatic firmware updates via M997
- Other minor changes

Arduino Duet Board v1.11
- Disabled mDNS debugging again (oops)

Arduino Duet Board v1.10
- Bug fix: EMAC driver didn't handle incoming IGMP packets

Arduino Duet Board v1.09
- EMAC driver resets EMAC initially during boot
- Better separation from LwIP and EMAC driver for other platforms
- Upgraded LwIP from v1.4.0 to v1.4.1
- Evaluating SerialUSB checks VBUS to determine if a cable is connected
- Removed Wire library examples
- Reduced EMAC RX buffer size from 32 to 16

Arduino Duet Board v1.08
- Removed networking classes from Arduino core
- Moved all low-level libraries from RRF to this board
- Implemented TRNG in Arduino core (see WMath.cpp and variant.cpp)
- Purged a few more warning messages
- Removed HID library again
- Removed unused RingBuffers

Duet Web Control 1.10 is available here: [github.com] and my latest firmware can be downloaded here: [github.com]

To upgrade the web interface from v1.08, just download the whole repository as ZIP file and upload it on the Settings page. DWC will automatically unzip and upload each file.

To those who have been experiencing AJAX errors while using the web interface: If you can, please try out my latest firmware and let me know if the connection remains stable. If you experience problems, feel free to contact me via PM and I'll provide instructions on how to generate debug info, which may help me to figure out what is going on.

Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: I just had to bump the firmware version to 1.09v because the EMAC driver didn't handle incoming IGMP packets. This should fix mDNS requests again. I accidentally left debugging enabled for the mDNS module in v1.09u, so one more update here...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 05:51AM by chrishamm.
Re: New Duet Web Control 1.10 and RepRapFirmware 1.09v-ch
March 02, 2016 01:10PM
chrishamm
[*] Firmware updates using the web interface (via M997)

Nice! Looking forward to merging it in to my fork.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 03, 2016 07:00AM
Hi chrishamm,
only one problem...Home X does not work ...previously it was OK
no error in the console...
connect to the web gui now seems very stable.

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
March 03, 2016 09:22AM
Hi Dario,

Thanks for your feedback, but I can home all axes and the X axis in particular without problems (my O2 uses the IR probe for this and my O1 has a switch). Could you explain a bit more what doesn't work?
March 03, 2016 11:52AM
y and z Home works well...
if I set the x with G92 everything is ok...
I'm using dc42 board...
I do not understand what has changed ...... strange!
Probably an unstable contact on the dc42 board .... or the duet

I tested your new firmware in 4 printers and is working fine!
Thanks! A big step forward!

Dario

Ormerod 187
[www.dropbox.com]
March 03, 2016 12:51PM
Very strange indeed. I have just tried to reproduce this with dc42's sensor board, but it's working as well on my setup. Can you confirm the red LED lights up when the sensor board approaches the endstop area?

I'm glad the firmware is working well on your other printers!
March 03, 2016 01:13PM
yes is very strange... cause Z Home is working fine....
only the X Home is not working and only in 1 printer.. the X carriage make a small movements only millimeters and the interface show homed but is not true.
red LED lights up when I set X0 manually...
setting the X Home manually and everything is fine... tested with different parts ... no problems on printing.
I'm a little confused by the event...
I'll try to check the connections again

Dario

Ormerod 187
[www.dropbox.com]
March 03, 2016 02:19PM
- Moved web cam integration panel on the settings page to the centre
Wonderful!
how to use M997? (Perform autonomous firmware update)

Thanks again... brilliant firmware and web version!

Dario

Ormerod 187
[www.dropbox.com]
March 03, 2016 06:03PM
chrishamm
In order to use the web interface for firmware updates, you have to upload a file called "iap.bin" once to the /sys directory. This file can be obtained here: [github.com] After that, you can upload your RepRapFirmware*.bin file using the upload button on the Settings page and follow the instructions.

Be aware that the web interface will show "Updating" for 15 seconds before it reconnects. I'll probably improve this in my next version - I guess displaying a progress bar while the new firmware is being flashed would be appropriate. I will also add alerts to the next DWC version so that G-code replies are always shown.
March 04, 2016 03:46AM
This so nice uppdates that just rooling out! Big thanks.
I have not read about web cam inegration, is there a thread where i can catch up?
/Joar
March 04, 2016 05:32AM
Nice to see my work is appreciated! I implemented optional webcam surveillance in DWC v1.08, but it generated possibly faulty URLs which I fixed in v1.09. See [forums.reprap.org]
March 04, 2016 05:45AM
chrishamm
Feel free to post some feedback! If you appreciate my work, please consider a small donation as well - I'm a student and new filament is expensive smiling smiley

post a payments/donate link!... or P.M. and I willwinking smiley

Dario

Ormerod 187
[www.dropbox.com]
March 04, 2016 07:01AM
Here you go: [www.paypal.com]

Thank you very much - if there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know!
March 04, 2016 07:24AM
Hi chrishamm,
please a link in English nex time.

Done ..my grain of sand in your account.

Dario

Ormerod 187
[www.dropbox.com]
March 04, 2016 05:12PM
> To those who have been experiencing AJAX errors while using the web interface:

I get these errors a lot!
But what is even more severe: Hot end temperature regulation is very unstable (+-5°C) and also PanelDue (no webend because of the errors) seems to report the wrong temperature in that case: My setpoint is 248°C for ABS, but even if it is reporting 248 unstable it is printing much hotter! A lot of smoke and very bad printing results... Going back to dc42 109r with the same gcode file provides the expected result again.
Not sure if the 2 errors (ajax and temperature) are somehow related, because I couldn't print without getting the error.
Very scary....
March 05, 2016 10:34AM
Hi Christian,

Love you work on the Web Interface! Just a question, I see you removed the Spool Menu from the interface to load and unload filament. Any reason why - I liked the options.

Keep up the great work!
March 05, 2016 01:39PM
Ormerod187
Done ..my grain of sand in your account.

Thanks, I really appreciate this!

pantau
But what is even more severe: Hot end temperature regulation is very unstable (+-5°C) and also PanelDue (no webend because of the errors) seems to report the wrong temperature in that case: My setpoint is 248°C for ABS, but even if it is reporting 248 unstable it is printing much hotter! A lot of smoke and very bad printing results... Going back to dc42 109r with the same gcode file provides the expected result again.
Not sure if the 2 errors (ajax and temperature) are somehow related, because I couldn't print without getting the error.

That's quite weird. Can you post your config.g so I get an idea how your heaters are configured? Also, when using my latest firmware, could you attach Pronterface or Arduino IDE while trying to use the web interface? If you can, please make a Wireshark dump too.

Yesterday I tested the new firmware and web interface on another setup and although I had gotten an AJAX error about every 30 seconds with previous versions, none showed up after two hours of printing.

markdoll01
Just a question, I see you removed the Spool Menu from the interface to load and unload filament. Any reason why - I liked the options.

When I designed the new web interface I intended to keep track of the filament usage per spool (hence the category Spools), but I haven't found enough time to actually implement everything yet. That's why I have removed this category again. Instead of the load and unload buttons, I suggest you modify and upload my filament macros, see [github.com]. This way you can use the same functionality on different buttons.
March 05, 2016 02:39PM
Thanks Christian,

I will download the macros - Thank you..
March 05, 2016 05:19PM
chrishamm

pantau

That's quite weird. Can you post your config.g so I get an idea how your heaters are configured? Also, when using my latest firmware, could you attach Pronterface or Arduino IDE while trying to use the web interface? If you can, please make a Wireshark dump too.

Yesterday I tested the new firmware and web interface on another setup and although I had gotten an AJAX error about every 30 seconds with previous versions, none showed up after two hours of printing.

Thanks for the response!
My config.g is attached.
Do you have a link to a user guide how to collect the Wireshark dump? I am afraid I have not done this before.
I am using Chrome and my impression was that the AJAX errors are worth if I include a webcam.
But the temperature issue really prevents me from doing a lot of testing ....
I am willing to help debug this if you let mer know what to test.

Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (3.4 KB)
March 05, 2016 06:07PM
pantau, could you try out this binary instead? [www.dropbox.com] I think I've found the cause for this, sorry for the trouble. Also, can you confirm you were using DWC v1.10 while the AJAX errors showed up? If you're still on an older version (pre-1.08), you can use FileZilla as well to update all web interface files. Just make sure you limit the number of concurrent connections to 1 if you try this.

Anyway, to make a Wireshark dump do the following:

1) Go to [www.wireshark.org], download and install the latest version (also install WinPcap if you're using Windows). Start it when done
2) Select your network adapter and click "Start" to capture data
3) Try to load the web interface and leave the browser open as long as you don't get an AJAX error
4) When this happens press "Stop" in Wireshark and go to "File -> Save as". Upload that file or send it to me via PM

If you do this, please post your USB log as well. I'm quite sure it would be helpful too.
March 06, 2016 07:53AM
chrishamm
pantau, could you try out this binary instead? [www.dropbox.com] I think I've found the cause for this, sorry for the trouble. Also, can you confirm you were using DWC v1.10 while the AJAX errors showed up? If you're still on an older version (pre-1.08), you can use FileZilla as well to update all web interface files. Just make sure you limit the number of concurrent connections to 1 if you try this.

I was always using DWC v1.10 while testing your firmware. The new version 1.09w is much better, temperature regulation is much better, print did work for couple of minutes without AJAX error, but I got one.
Wireshark Log:
[www.dropbox.com]
My printer is on 192.168.99.14. Only this DWC connected, sorry no USB log so far.

In addition: I tried to go back to DC42 1.09r using your firmware update (in 1.09v-ch). Did not work, ended with a dead printer, had to flash with USB again. Should your webbased update work with any bin (as the update file) or does it need to be one of your firmwares?

Thanks for your help

Peter
March 06, 2016 01:46PM
I tried to install the new firmware today. I always used DC42's firmware, without any problems.
But when I install yours firmware, I have no access to the board anymore.
I use fixed IP address, but I can't ping/ftp/web.

Do I have to change something in the config file, when I switch to yours firmware?

Best regards
Per

March 06, 2016 02:37PM

Honestly i have no errors to report...
My only way to get an error is ..turn off the printer

Looking for a friend with errors I find this only

On my friend PC updated Java.... it seems better....
(but is not related)

Dario

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 03:47PM by Ormerod187.

Ormerod 187
[www.dropbox.com]
March 06, 2016 08:57PM
pantau, thank you for that Wireshark dump. I have addressed the underlying problem in my new firmware release, please feel free to give it a try and let me know if that fixes your problem. I tried to flash dc42's firmware using the web interface as well, but this actually resulted in the first 512 bytes of flash memory being erased. Unfortunately I don't have a good explanation for this yet, because the flasher binary compares the data as soon as it's written (which succeeds) and when I try to flash my own firmware binaries via the web interface, it always works. I will try to fix this as soon as I get an idea why it's happening though.

lehar, you don't need to change anything, it should work right away with the same configuration. If you use a PanelDue, I suggest you always turn on your PSU though, because I experienced unreliable network connections in the past when the Duet is powered from USB only. If this doesn't fix it, could you attach Pronterface or Arduino IDE, send the following codes and post their outputs after you've tried to access the Duet via network?

M111 P1 S1
M552
M122

A wireshark dump (see above) might help too.

Looks very good, Dario! Nice to see it's working well on your machines smiling smiley

I have just released version 1.09w of my firmware fork. If you are using my firmware with swapped ADC channels, I strongly recommend to upgrade to the newer version. If you are already on v1.09v, this can be easily done via the web interface - just make sure you upload my iap.bin file once on the settings page. Here again the changelog for this version:

- Improved warm-up detection and estimations in the PrintMonitor class
- Removed unused variables from the Platform class
- Emergency stop no longer turns off ATX power to keep the fans running
- Slightly improved closed connection handler in the Network class
- Bug fix: Swapped ADC channels were not sampled
- Bug fix: M562 didn't accept the bed heater
- Other minor changes
March 07, 2016 04:16PM
One more update, I've just released version 1.09x. This one fixes two more problems:

Bug fix: Some time variables were not properly initialised during initialisation (only relevant if you are on 1.09w)
Bug fix: When adjusting the thermistor series resistance, the thermistor overheat sums were not updated

I hope no more problems show up, but if you encounter any other issues, please report them and I'll provide feedback as soon as I can.
March 10, 2016 12:58PM
Hey chrishamm
I tried to compile RRF in Windows 10 but is having problem.
I modified the powershell script to include the correct paths (e.g. lwip)
It started to compile but when linking it shows such error

LD      RepRapFirmware.elf
P:\3dprinting\firmware\Duet\RepRapFirmware-ch\Release\obj\ethernet_sam.c.o: In function `start_ethernet':
C:\Users\Jackal\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\RepRap\hardware\sam\1.1.1\libraries\EMAC/ethernet_sam.c:174: warning: u
ndefined reference to `ethernetif_init'
P:\3dprinting\firmware\Duet\RepRapFirmware-ch\Release\obj\ethernet_sam.c.o: In function `init_ethernet':
C:\Users\Jackal\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\RepRap\hardware\sam\1.1.1\libraries\EMAC/ethernet_sam.c:202: warning: u
ndefined reference to `ethernet_hardware_init'
C:\Users\Jackal\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\RepRap\hardware\sam\1.1.1\libraries\EMAC/ethernet_sam.c:204: warning: u
ndefined reference to `ethernetif_set_mac_address'
P:\3dprinting\firmware\Duet\RepRapFirmware-ch\Release\obj\ethernet_sam.c.o: In function `ethernet_task':
C:\Users\Jackal\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\RepRap\hardware\sam\1.1.1\libraries\EMAC/ethernet_sam.c:250: warning: u
ndefined reference to `ethernetif_input'
P:\3dprinting\firmware\Duet\RepRapFirmware-ch\Release\obj\ethernet_sam.c.o: In function `ethernet_set_rx_callback':
C:\Users\Jackal\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\RepRap\hardware\sam\1.1.1\libraries\EMAC/ethernet_sam.c:265: warning: u
ndefined reference to `ethernetif_set_rx_callback'
P:\3dprinting\firmware\Duet\RepRapFirmware-ch\Release\obj\lwip_timers_141.c.o: In function `sys_timeouts_init':
C:\Users\Jackal\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\RepRap\hardware\sam\1.1.1\libraries\Lwip\lwip\src\core/lwip_timers_141.
c:249: warning: undefined reference to `sys_now'
C:\Users\Jackal\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\RepRap\hardware\sam\1.1.1\libraries\Lwip\lwip\src\core/lwip_timers_141.
c:249: warning: undefined reference to `sys_now'
P:\3dprinting\firmware\Duet\RepRapFirmware-ch\Release\obj\Network.cpp.o: In function `Network:confused smileypin()':
P:\3dprinting\firmware\Duet\RepRapFirmware-ch/Network.cpp:458: warning: undefined reference to `ethernet_establish_link'

Not sure where in the code I should change to fix this

edit: I changed the source compile sequence and the error is gone now

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 01:21PM by SleepyPrince.
March 10, 2016 10:39PM
I apologize for newbie questions, but I just got my printer running with the latest dc42 1.09r code, and www files. Should I be using your firmware branch instead? It's a delta printer with a duet 0.85 board. The web interface no longer tracks layer changes for some reason. This changed mid print. Before reporting any bugs I want to be sure I'm using the correct software.
March 11, 2016 06:33AM
voi9viper
I apologize for newbie questions, but I just got my printer running with the latest dc42 1.09r code, and www files. Should I be using your firmware branch instead? It's a delta printer with a duet 0.85 board. The web interface no longer tracks layer changes for some reason. This changed mid print. Before reporting any bugs I want to be sure I'm using the correct software.

Chrishamm and I maintain separate firmware forks, but they share most of the code. Chrishamm maintains the print monitoring module, and I have just finished porting his changes to my firmware fork. So you can either switch to chrishamm's fork now, or wait a day or so for my new firmware release that includes that fix.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 11, 2016 09:51AM
Well, and I maintain most of the network and webserver code. I have the next versions of my firmware and web interface almost ready, but I'm still waiting for my testers to confirm everything works well. My next firmware version will add support for Kossel printers (or rather for their default configuration), include an improved disconnect handler and implement better communication between the webserver and network modules. I have also merged in most of dc42's latest changes from his beta version on GitHub.

If everything goes well, I will release both versions on Monday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login