Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New wiki page : Duet Design

Posted by PRZ 
PRZ
New wiki page : Duet Design
April 26, 2016 08:55AM
I just issued a new page about Duet design on the wiki. [reprap.org]

Please note that I am not involved at all in the design of this board (nor any other) and I am not an electronic guy, so feel free to comment and don't hesitate to modify the page.

Pierre

- Safety [reprap.org]
- Embedded help system for Duet and RepRap Firmware [forums.reprap.org]
- Enclosed delta printers Lily [rouzeau.net] and Lily Big [rouzeau.net]
- OpenScad delta printer simulator [github.com]
- 3D printing on my site [www.rouzeau.net]
Re: New wiki page : Duet Design
April 26, 2016 02:48PM
Looks good!

About the statement "Basing the design on Arduino allow the use of existing tools and libraries."...

The Duet has hardware differences so you can't use the standard Arduino Due support, and the only firmware available is built with Eclipse. The RepRapFirmware uses a package called CoreDuet tailored for the Duet hardware.

I'm currently working on modifying CoreDuet to work in the Arduino IDE. But there is no official or out of the box support for Duet in the Arduino IDE yet.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
April 26, 2016 03:06PM
Bob, CoreDuet has been replaced by CoreNG in my latest release. This is based on a more recent version of the Atmel Software Framework than the Arduino Due core was, which I need in order to support the forthcoming new Duet board as well as the existing ones.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
PRZ
April 26, 2016 04:06PM
Ok for the new compilation tools, but I would like to know a bit about history, if someone is aware of it.
Wasn't the initial purpose to use as much as possible what exists in Arduino, even if with time the system have evolved ?
I can understand the need to reduce the initial difficulty and evolve later.

David, the question about compilation, make files and IDE is recurrent, may be a wiki page can help. Please note that is way above my knowledge, so I cannot do that.
Also, questions have been rised about modularity and if I understand, you are working on it. explaining yours plans may be good for other programmers.

Pierre

- Safety [reprap.org]
April 26, 2016 08:14PM
dc42
Bob, CoreDuet has been replaced by CoreNG in my latest release. This is based on a more recent version of the Atmel Software Framework than the Arduino Due core was, which I need in order to support the forthcoming new Duet board as well as the existing ones.

No problem, I had to start somewhere, I thought that CoreDuet might be most stable. I plan to pick up CoreNG in future.

The changes are quite minor so far, I've added a couple of text files to tell Arduino how to use it. There is some more stuff to add to get it into the Arduino package downloader.

To be honest, I far prefer the Eclipse environment, however the Marlin guys are still keen on building with Arduino IDE...

I am sure you would recommend RRF (I might too), but it looks like Marlin developers might adopt Duet 0.8.5 as their "reference" 32 bit platform, so its kinda steps in the right direction.

In the wiki, it's probably worth noting that the typical user does not need to compile the code to configure it, or use Arduino IDE to download, since all that is now done a better way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 08:15PM by bobc.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
PRZ
April 26, 2016 11:12PM
In the Duet page, it is clearly noted that the configuration is done by editing a file, however, this stuff shall be repeated in main RepRap Firmware page. I may add anyway there is no need for compilation or any programming tool whatsoever.

The problem is yet the main RepRap Firmware page is in fact describing the design philosophy and is not at all user oriented.
I think a new page shall be written and the existing page may be renamed RepRap Firmware design.
As such that when I want to reference the firmware, I give the category instead of the page, as it is more relevant.

Pierre

- Safety [reprap.org]
April 27, 2016 02:53AM
PRZ
The problem is yet the main RepRap Firmware page is in fact describing the design philosophy and is not at all user oriented.
I think a new page shall be written and the existing page may be renamed RepRap Firmware design.

Or add the new content to the existing page and relegate the existing design philosophy content to a short section at the end.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
PRZ
April 27, 2016 11:55AM
I have thought to that, but a wiki is much more functional when pages stay as short as possible, letting the user choose what he want to read. That shows in reading statistics, where the depth of reading and time expensed on site is much higher when pages are short, more than compensating the shorter content. Unfortunately, on the RepRap wiki, you do not have access to stats.
I see this page as a main topic page referencing other pages.
But I may let the design part as a transition and separate later.

dc42
PRZ

Or add the new content to the existing page and relegate the existing design philosophy content to a short section at the end.

Pierre

- Safety [reprap.org]
PRZ
April 27, 2016 07:22PM
So I created a whole paragraph about RepRap Firmware Use in the firmware page : [reprap.org]
And removed some stuff from the Duet page, as it is now in this more appropriate place.

Pierre

- Safety [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login