Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New RepRapFirmware release 1.12-dc42

Posted by dc42 
New RepRapFirmware release 1.12-dc42
May 07, 2016 05:28PM
I am please to release version 1.12 of my fork of RepRapFirmware, available here [github.com] (follow the link and then press Raw to download it). Please see the important notes at the end of this post before you install it.

New features in this release:

dc42
* PT100 and other RTD sensors are now supported. See [reprap.org] for more details.

* When a print is paused and then cancelled, the firmware now attempts to run file sys/cancel.g. It only turns the heaters off if that file is not found.

* The file upload speed over the web interface has been increased. Those who were getting slow file upload speeds are likely to see the most benefit.

* If a chamber heater is configured, it is now exempted from the heater timeout, just like the bed heater

* Two changes have been made to improve print quality when printing at high speeds. First, enabling extruder pressure advance is less likely to result in sequences of short moves having sawtooth velocity profiles. Second, a "Maximum average printing acceleration" can now be configured (M201 P parameter). Using this to restrict average acceleration will flatten out any remaining sawtooth velocity profiles.

* The firmware now reports itself to the USB subsystem as "Duet 3D printer control electronics",instead of as an Arduino Due. A Windows driver file is provided.

* The default maximum hot end temperature is reduced to 260C.

Bug fixes:

dc42
* The USB interface exposed by firmware version 1.11 was not recognised by some versions of Windows on some computers, resulting in a driver installation error

* Simulation mode (M37) did not work

* Setting the motor current on the non-existent 9th driver on a Duet 0.6 might have undesirable side-effects

Please note the following when upgrading to version 1.12:

1. If you are using Windows, please install the driver at [github.com]. This driver does not install any new binaries, it simply tells Windows to use its usbser.sys driver to communicate with a Duet. If you are using Windows 10 then you don't need to install the driver if you don't want to, but then the Duet will show up as "USB Serial Device".

2. If you are using Linux or Mac OS, be prepared to revert to earlier firmware (e.g. 1.10+4-dc42) in case your operating system does not recognise the Duet, and please let me know whether or not it did.

3. If you print with hot end temperatures above 260C then you will need to add a M143 command in config.g, for example M143 S280 will increase the temperature limit to 280C.

In other respects, you can continue to use existing config.g and homing files. The recommended web interface is DWC 1.11.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New RepRapFirmware release 1.12-dc42
May 08, 2016 02:14AM
Upgraded without a hitch. Uploads seem a little faster peaking for my first test at 386kib.

Thanks
David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2016 02:15AM by DADIY.

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
May 08, 2016 02:29AM
I tried to upgrade from 1.11-dc42 via DWC 1.11, but that did not succeed as I got an error message "Can't rename file or directory /sys/RepRapFirmware-1.12-dc42.bin to /sys/RepRapFirmware.bin", so I really need to update via USB?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2016 02:32AM by Treito.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
May 08, 2016 04:06AM
I had the same problem. Change the file name to RepRapFirmware.bin and then load via web control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2016 04:07AM by appjaws1.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
May 08, 2016 04:08AM
I've had that problem too. It appears that sometimes the IAP program fails to delete the RepRapFirmware.bin file after installing it. Two possible workarounds:

1. Use FTP to delete the old RepRapFirmware.bin file

2. Rename the new file to RepRapFirmware.bin before uploading it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 08, 2016 07:35AM
Okay it worked now. The strange thing was that at first I should not had had this file in the sys-directory.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
May 08, 2016 12:29PM
dc42

2. If you are using Linux or Mac OS, be prepared to revert to earlier firmware (e.g. 1.10+4-dc42) in case your operating system does not recognise the Duet, and please let me know whether or not it did.

Seems to recognise it OK under El Capitan 10.11.4, 27" iMac retina, connected via a hub. (can't be bothered messing about round the back.....)

Didn't test the firmware update as I used the web interface update.

May 08, 2016 01:32PM
trevmas, thanks for the feedback.

May 08, 2016 02:37PM
I noticed that even though I got the could not delete message, the web page showed it had updated the firmware. I did it a second time with the renamed firmware file just to be sure and didn't get the error.
May 08, 2016 06:33PM
I was seeing over 500kib just now on a 7MB upload. smiling bouncing smiley
May 08, 2016 07:30PM
David, still no fix for huge files? I have commented on issue #33 on GitHub twenty or so days ago. It is about g-code files that I use where the last G1 Z command is 362K from the end of the file. I have quite a few of them stored in a folder on SD card and I cannot list the contents in DWC as the interface disconnects while calculating file stats. Also having some problems selecting these files for printing from PanelDue. Any chance of having this fixed? I have provided a link to a file that gives me problems in my GitHub comment.

Reality is in fact virtual.
May 09, 2016 01:55AM
I tried it three times, but the update didn't succeed even though it seemed like it was updating.

ElmoC
I noticed that even though I got the could not delete message, the web page showed it had updated the firmware. I did it a second time with the renamed firmware file just to be sure and didn't get the error.

May 09, 2016 12:11PM
dc42

* Two changes have been made to improve print quality when printing at high speeds. First, enabling extruder pressure advance is less likely to result in sequences of short moves having sawtooth velocity profiles. Second, a "Maximum average printing acceleration" can now be configured (M201 P parameter). Using this to restrict average acceleration will flatten out any remaining sawtooth velocity profiles.

Thanx for that great new Release. Upload speed increased to 400-500k

Can you please explain how to use the M201 P ? Which Values are you using?

Pressure advance I used following setting in 1.11 Firmware:

M572 D0 S0.03

Do you have a startpoint to experiment with the new M201 P?

Thanx

cheers
Dirk
May 09, 2016 04:44PM
yoorek
David, still no fix for huge files? I have commented on issue #33 on GitHub twenty or so days ago. It is about g-code files that I use where the last G1 Z command is 362K from the end of the file. I have quite a few of them stored in a folder on SD card and I cannot list the contents in DWC as the interface disconnects while calculating file stats. Also having some problems selecting these files for printing from PanelDue. Any chance of having this fixed? I have provided a link to a file that gives me problems in my GitHub comment.

Your file always has worked OK on my delta printer. However, the parsing time for that file and another one were coming close to the timeout limit. I have put a preview of release 1.12a at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com] and in that one I have speeded up the parsing by a large factor. Please try it to see whether it resolves the issue you are having.

May 09, 2016 04:55PM
critical_limit
dc42

Thanx for that great new Release. Upload speed increased to 400-500k

Can you please explain how to use the M201 P ? Which Values are you using?

Pressure advance I used following setting in 1.11 Firmware:

M572 D0 S0.03

Do you have a startpoint to experiment with the new M201 P?

Thanx

cheers
Dirk

The M201 P parameter will only have an effect in cases where you have high acceleration settings (M201) but low jerk settings (M566). In such cases, setting the M201 P parameter to a figure well below the X and Y parameters may improve print quality. To be honest, I don't know whether it is worth having at all. I introduced it in an attempt to resolve a problem that a particular user was having, but I then found that the sawtooth speed profiles he was getting were caused by a side-effect of pressure advance and not because of an excessive acceleration/jerk ratio. Having written the code, I decided to leave it in the firmware in case it helps anyone. If it doesn't then I may remove it in a future release.

May 09, 2016 05:07PM
I've recently had the web firmware update fail on me several times. The failure manifested itself in two different ways:

1. The firmware update appeared to proceed OK, but it hadn't happened (i.e. after rebooting it was still running the old firmware), and file RepRapFirmware.bin was still present in /sys.

2. The firmware update appeared to proceed, but the Duet wouldn't boot at the end of it and had to be re-flashed using bossac.

Changing from chrishamm's version of iap.bin to my version at [github.com] (follow the link and press Raw to download it) appears to have resolved the problem. So I advise anyone using version 1.11 or later of my firmware fork to use my version of iap.bin too. The reason is probably that it uses CoreNG as the hardware abstraction layer just like my 1.11 and later firmware does, whereas chrishamm's iap.bin uses a different core. There may be some aspect of hardware (re)initialisation that iap.bin isn't doing.

May 09, 2016 10:09PM
Anybody else having trouble with the USB driver on Windows?
Win 8.1 x64

May 09, 2016 10:31PM
jimustanguitar
Win 8.1 x64

Did you follow the instructions in the first post where he talks about the driver issue?
May 10, 2016 03:42AM
This is the reason for the iap.bin-file? I wasn't sure, but I took the file from your github, but already with Version 1.10.
With that version I had trouble with overwriting, too. Is there any lately change?

May 10, 2016 03:47AM
jimustanguitar
Win 8.1 x64

I have just added the following instructions in a Readme file in the Drivers folder of my github repo:

IMPORTANT!

To install this Windows driver, download both the .inf file and the .cat file in Raw mode into the same folder on your PC. If you don't use Raw mode then the digital signature information will be invalid.

Please follow this instruction and try again. Downloading the entire repo as a zip and then extracting the Drivers folder should also work.

May 10, 2016 03:49AM
Treito
This is the reason for the iap.bin-file? I wasn't sure, but I took the file from your github, but already with Version 1.10.
With that version I had trouble with overwriting, too. Is there any lately change?

The iap.bin file in the /sys-xxx folders in my RepRapFirmware repo is still Chrishamm's version. To get the one that uses CoreNG, you need to download it from my DuetIAP repo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 03:50AM by dc42.

May 10, 2016 06:35AM
Probably a daft question do we need the SAM3X_Release or SAM4X_Release version?

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
May 10, 2016 07:53AM
You need the SAM3X version. The SAM4E version is for the forthcoming next-generation Duet.

May 10, 2016 07:58AM
I have just released version 1.12a. This is basically a bug-fix to 1.12, because the thermocouple and RTD support wasn't working in some configurations. However, I have also rewritten some of the code used to extract information from gcode files on the SD card. The new code gets the file information in about 1/10 of the time that the old code took, and doesn't impact on printing the way that the old code did. I have also increased the maximum length at the end of the file that it searches for the object height to 400K.

A couple of reminders for those who haven't read all of this thread:

- Install the version of iap.bin from here [github.com] (follow the link and press Raw to download it) once you have my 1.11 or later firmware running on your Duet

- If using Windows, download the driver files from here [github.com], both in Raw mode to preserve the validity of the digital signature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 08:02AM by dc42.

May 10, 2016 11:58AM
Windows 10x64 and Chrome, both are up to date. Downloaded the whole firmware as a zip and the individual files as raw. I get an Install Error dialog with "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering"
May 10, 2016 05:41PM
Very strange, I am running Windows 10 x64 here and I don't have that problem. I'll try downloading them in case github has mangled them.

May 10, 2016 09:59PM
stephenrc
Windows 10x64 and Chrome, both are up to date. Downloaded the whole firmware as a zip and the individual files as raw. I get an Install Error dialog with ...............

Same behavior here. I did not download the raw files initially, I was just using whatever unzipped from the master repo. Now I'm very intentionally downloading and using the raw files, but the results are the same.

Same OS and browser. Win8.1 X64 and up to date Chrome... I may try it on a different browser next, just to eliminate that variable.

If it makes any difference, I was also having trouble with the previous firmware version and had to use the 1.10+4 version to properly flash the firmware.

**edit**
No change using (gasp) IE. The raw still returns the error about hash.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 12:32AM by jimustanguitar.
May 11, 2016 12:47AM
I end up with a heater fault every couple of minutes using a thermocouple and a Max31855 board (Logxen from Uberclock/Smoothie). I've got a very nice, well insulated PTFE cabled thermocouple that I encapsulated in heatsink epoxy to shield the bare metal of the welded junction from the aluminum heater block like your wiki mentions...

As you can see in the first picture, it's tolerant of some spikes, but sometimes it will still fault the heater circuit like the second image. It didn't used to tolerate this at all, and I noticed that you mentioned a change to this logic in your release notes. Is it possible that some SPI collisions still exist, or should I take a closer look at my hardware?
(I'm pretty confident in my insulation and wiring, it's quite clean... I've also added a 10nf cap to the circuit just in case the onboard chip was out of spec)
Any other pitfalls that I should look a little closer at? I've got another machine with a thermocouple setup that's seen hundreds of hours, maybe I'll swap components as a test.
May 11, 2016 06:07AM
jimustanguitar
I end up with a heater fault every couple of minutes using a thermocouple and a Max31855 board (Logxen from Uberclock/Smoothie). I've got a very nice, well insulated PTFE cabled thermocouple that I encapsulated in heatsink epoxy to shield the bare metal of the welded junction from the aluminum heater block like your wiki mentions...

Can you confirm that you are using firmware version 1.12a? How long are the cables between the Duet and the thermocouple board? Can you post a photo of the wiring?

May 11, 2016 06:17AM
stephenrc
Windows 10x64 and Chrome, both are up to date. Downloaded the whole firmware as a zip and the individual files as raw. I get an Install Error dialog with "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering"

I found the problem. Git has changed all the line endings in duet.inf from CRLF to LF. I'll take a look at whether I can force git to treat duet.inf as a binary file. Meanwhile, attached to this post is the correct duet.inf with the original line endings.

Attachments:
open | download - duet.inf (2.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login