Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do you print with your Duet? Web or USB?

Posted by ElmoC 
How do you print with your Duet? Web or USB?
May 28, 2016 09:27AM
This is more a curiosity question sparked by someone asking me for help getting RepRap firmware (non-Duet version) running on their RADDS system. They were asking how I could tell the system was working and what host control program I used. It got me thinking about how I print on my two printers. On the printer with the Duet, I do it all from the web interface, so printing from the SD card. But on my Printrbot Simple, I use OctoPrint, so printing via USB.

So I was wondering, does anyone print to their Duet using an external host program like Repetier or Cura, or only via the web interface?
Re: How do you print with your Duet? Web or USB?
May 28, 2016 09:53AM
Three duet printers all operate over the web interface, one has a PanelDue, but I only use that for simple control operations, homing, calibration or printing some stock parts

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
May 28, 2016 10:29AM
One printer built and running, one planned. Web interface only for me, no plans to do otherwise.
May 28, 2016 11:13AM
Same here. One Printer running, one under construction. Both Kossel.

PanelDue installed on one, but not using it very often. Doing all with the web interface via my macbook (using chrome for the webinterface to edit config.g. Safari is not working for editing so far)
Have a wlan webcam installed to have a look to the printer when printing. Working perfect with the webinterface.
May 28, 2016 12:31PM
Only via web-interface. USB is too risky.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
May 28, 2016 12:41PM
I've technically used both. I have an intel NUC set up with a 10" touchscreen next to the machine. When I started testing the Duet I used pronterface and USB. Printed a bit over that with no issues. After I got the ethernet hooked up I only use the web interface. I slice on the laptop, upload to the SD card and either kick it off from the laptop or from the NUC. While printing I adjust from the NUC.
My new printer will use the web interface as well.
May 31, 2016 04:33PM
Both.

I use the web interface mostly, but when I'm printing a gift of some sort I use Octoprint so that it will capture a timelapse as well.
The Octoprint machine is pretty slow though, so I don't trust it for most of my prints.
May 31, 2016 05:34PM
For both of my printers, I only connect the USB cable when debugging firmware. I use the web interface to upload new gcode files to the printers. Usually I home the printers and start prints from the PanelDues, but sometimes I start printing a newly uploaded file from the web interface.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login