Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feature Request - Logging of print jobs to file

Posted by aussiephil 
Feature Request - Logging of print jobs to file
June 01, 2016 10:03AM
I've now gone through nearly two spools of PLA on the delta and I miss having cumulative statistics of print run and filament usage that I have on the sailfish firmware

Thinking about this it would be nice if the firmware wrote back to a log file data on each successful print, capturing filename, filament usage, date, time, print duration. This could be downloaded and opened in a spreadsheet for analysis.

One thing it could be used for is to check how subtle changes to machine settings or slicer parameters affect overall print durations.

I shaved nearly 6 minutes of a 90 minute print tonight by increasing the M566 setting for XYZ to 2600 from 1700 with no visible issues... guess that also means i haven't found the upper limit yet smiling smiley

thoughts on a logging file?

For the curious the part i was printing was this [www.thingiverse.com]
PLA
100mm/s
207c
No fan
And interestingly there is not a single string to be found on that print.

Re: Feature Request - Logging of print jobs to file
June 01, 2016 10:15AM
Please can you provide a detailed specification on what you would like to see, for me to consider and others to comment on. For example:

- what format should the log entries in the file take?
- should cancelled prints be logged too?
- what information should be logged?
- how would you want to retrieve the log file?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 01, 2016 10:58AM
dc42
Please can you provide a detailed specification on what you would like to see, for me to consider and others to comment on. For example:

- what format should the log entries in the file take?
- should cancelled prints be logged too?
- what information should be logged?
- how would you want to retrieve the log file?

My thoughts are;

Standard CSV text file, comma separated entries. Really tricky would be to write an XML file but this makes it harder to manipulate in say excel
Yes for cancelled prints to get full usage stats, with the obvious exception of emergency stop unless you have time to write to the file.
Information: file name printed, duration, filament length, date printed, time started, time finshed, bed temp, extruder temps, (that should kick off discussion)
Retrieval' ideally as a download via the web page but really anyway we can.

Cheers
June 01, 2016 05:42PM
This request is very similar to what I have asked for on GitHub (or perhaps here in this forum). What would be interesting for me is some statistics per file stored on SD card i.e. actual print duration, filament used, date and time when the file was last printed. I would like to see that alongside file name in g-code files tab in DWC. Being able to download the stats in CVS would be added bonus.
The question is - can Duet and firmware support some sort of real time clock. From what I can see so far all the uploaded g-code files have date/time set to Jan 01 1980.

Reality is in fact virtual.
June 01, 2016 07:35PM
Start time,End time,print duration,completion%,printing speed%,filament used 1,filament used 2,filament used 3,filament used 4,filament used 5

also.... would be great if the logger could parse the estimated print time from the GCODE file, maybe include in the interface a mask like "Estimated Print TIme = #hh#H#mm#M#ss#S" and a line parameter (20) and the program will scan the first 20 lines to find a line that matches the mask and parses out the #hh#, #mm# and #ss# figures

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login