Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet WiFi details published, pre-order window open

Posted by dc42 
Re: Duet WiFi details published, pre-order window open
June 24, 2016 08:14AM
Fpex
I ordered one before the brevet at a much higher pound value, but no regrets. For as much anger I have for UK and its unilateral decision to bring us all back to a 2008 crisis (or worse), I do not mind have given you my support.

Your support is much appreciated!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 25, 2016 05:29AM
I might have missed, will this board work also on 24v?

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
June 25, 2016 05:35AM
Yes it will, we reduced the max Vin from 30V to 25V.

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
June 25, 2016 06:53AM
But I guess it will not be able to drive a large 24v plate, right?

June 25, 2016 06:56AM
Fpex
I might have missed, will this board work also on 24v?

Yes, it's running in my 24V delta, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

Fpex
But I guess it will not be able to drive a large 24v plate, right?

We have increased the current capacity of the heated bed circuit. We are awaiting the results of thermal testing before we quantify it, but we're hoping to rate it at 15A. That would be 360W @ 24V. For comparison, my delta printer with a 330mm diameter bed uses a 350W heater.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 25, 2016 09:40AM
dc42
...That would be 360W @ 24V. For comparison, my delta printer with a 330mm diameter bed uses a 350W heater.

That would be awsome. Are the test board be able to handle the same current? In this case I would not have to use a SSR for the heated bed.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
June 25, 2016 10:31AM
Yes the pre-production boards have the increased current capacity and one of them has gone for thermal testing.

June 26, 2016 11:28AM
Sounds nice even if my next two printers are either a 300x300 with a 400W 24v heater and a kossel (my first one is gone as did not came out well). I guess I will use the duet for the kossel.
Still, I might look at a better round plate for the kossel instead of a standard 20x20 I have

June 29, 2016 07:02AM
Hi

I would really like to buy a Duet after just being let down on delivery of a replacement board, But having waited 6 weeks already for non delivery I can't justify the wait on the 2nd batch 17th August.

Is there any chance of any more being available before then ?

My printer has been down too long already. Sadly I might have to go for an alternative board I can source from within the EU with a VERY rapid delivery time

Is there and of the 0.8.5 boards left ?

Anyone got any recommendations on a similar board in stock in the EU ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2016 07:04AM by Calvinx66.
June 29, 2016 08:21AM
Hi Calvin

I don't think it's likely we will bring batch 2 forward, sorry.

We are still selling 0.8.5s and will continue to do so while there is demand:
[www.think3dprint3d.com]

Cheers

Tony

June 30, 2016 04:04PM
Thanks for the reply.

Alas It wouldn't economic make sense to buy the non wifi board from the link advertised as it is the exact same price for an older generation board as the new one. You would have thought with the new board being released that the previous version would have been discounted somewhat.

So again I ask anyone got any ideas on an EU alternative ?

have seen Milkshake Board anyone used One ?

Regards
June 30, 2016 04:20PM
Calvinx66
Thanks for the reply.

Alas It wouldn't economic make sense to buy the non wifi board from the link advertised as it is the exact same price for an older generation board as the new one. You would have thought with the new board being released that the previous version would have been discounted somewhat.

So again I ask anyone got any ideas on an EU alternative ?

have seen Milkshake Board anyone used One ?

Regards

Actually Calvin they are not the same price the 0.8.5 is £99 inc VAT whereas the Pre-Prod Wifi boards are £99 +Vat so add 20% on and you get just shy of £120

Doug

ps not associated with T3P3 in any way.
June 30, 2016 04:23PM
Hi Calvin

The pre-order is discounted significantly, I expect the price to go up by about 20% after the pre order ends (exact amount TBC).

The new board has new technology on it and a large amount of development. Especially by DC42 on the firmware. Buying this board directly supports this ongoing development.

Tony

June 30, 2016 06:08PM
Hi Guys

The Vat thing is a very valid point, one that I didn't notice, I apologize.

@ Tony are you guys able to supply the 5v Daughter board ?

As I want to run two Z axis motors (P3Steel) without having to make an adapter myself !! (Being lazy I know)

Regards
June 30, 2016 07:00PM
Calvinx66
Hi Guys

The Vat thing is a very valid point, one that I didn't notice, I apologize.

@ Tony are you guys able to supply the 5v Daughter board ?

As I want to run two Z axis motors (P3Steel) without having to make an adapter myself !! (Being lazy I know)

Regards
New board supports two Z motor connectors on board, no adapter needed. Have a look at the website, many questions answered there.
June 30, 2016 07:36PM
Koko76

New board supports two Z motor connectors on board, no adapter needed. Have a look at the website, many questions answered there.

Yes you are correct if you are talking about the the new "wifi" board........

But I directed my question to Tony with regards the 0.8.5 (non wi-fi) board which if you look at the website think3d the 0.8.5 clearly shows a SINGLE connector for the Z axis, hence my question with regards the daughter board.

July 01, 2016 03:22AM
Hi Calvin

No requirement for a 5v external board, the onboard BUCK circuit works fine.

For the Z motors in the 0.8.5 there is only one connector so you need to arrange to wire your Z motors in series(recommended) or in parallel with the wiring.

Cheers

Tony
July 01, 2016 06:42PM
T3P3
Hi Calvin

No requirement for a 5v external board, the onboard BUCK circuit works fine.

For the Z motors in the 0.8.5 there is only one connector so you need to arrange to wire your Z motors in series(recommended) or in parallel with the wiring.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony thanks for the update. Still would love the new board but cant justify the wait so I pulled the trigger on a 0.8.5 from you today with DHL shipping.

Regards

Mark
July 03, 2016 08:47AM
Have all the specs of the pre-order boards been finalised?
Or there may still be a change in the wifi module?
July 14, 2016 03:28PM
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on buying one of these boards.... Like most of my upgrades and purchases, it's inspired by the crap I should never have bought... ie, RAMPS 1.4. I'm quite fed up with the connectors for larger wires, and I've had overheating problems recently as well. This has apparently become a new issue, and I fear the board is going to die / go up in a ball of flame and magic smoke any time soon.

i have some questions though, will the boards be changing much from now to release? Would it be worth waiting for the official release? Also, what is the differences between the PT100 board and the PT100 board supplied by E3D? I may as well invest in a cartridge type heater if I'm doing this, but the board + thermistor + heater block is cheaper from E3D.

How easy is it to set up a webcam on this? Not having a raspberry Pi would be great. I think I asked this question once before but I can't remember where..... Alternatively, I'm considering buying a small tablet or smart phone as the screen, the handy double up being I can use the web browser as the duet control, and I can use the cam in the tablet to remotely view prints (or set a webcam from the tablet, i'm sure its possible).

Does Duet work well with Simplify3D? I've read before that Simplify does not work well with Smoothieboard. I'm not sure how legitimate the claim was, but if there are clashes than there is no reason to buy this (supposed to save time, not create problems). I can't see why there would be problems really.

That's about all the questions I've got for now, although I'm sure i'll think of others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2016 03:29PM by Origamib.
July 14, 2016 03:57PM
Hi Origamib

The hardware design is fixed now and the PCBs have been ordered for the initial production run. There are some relatively minor changes compared to the pre-production beta test boards that we provided. the details are here:
[www.duet3d.com]

The PT100 daughterboard we supply incorporates a chip that converts the RTD reading into a digital signal that is passed to the main processor via SPI. The e3d board uses an analog amplifier. Out board supports two channels (so 2 PT100s for two extruders for example). This is less susceptible to noise. The PT100 sensor we supply and the e3d v6 heatblock are from e3d (we are a reseller).

The DuetWebControl allows for a 3rd party webcam to be used. currently you can't plug a webcam inot the Duetwifi although there is some discussion on how to implement this here:
[www.duet3d.com]

The Duet works with gcode generated by the latest version of simplify3d (previous versions of s3d apparently had some issues with generating huge numbers of really short gcode segments). What i have not tested myself is the control via S3d's buit in printer control, you can ask on the duet3d forum to see if anyone has tried this but maybe not because the browser based web interface is so awesome!

Cheers

Tony

(edited to add about s3d control)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2016 03:59PM by T3P3.
July 14, 2016 07:32PM
I use S3D both 3.0 and 3.1 with both the 0.85 and the new DuetWifi. No issues at all, and I'm pretty sure the many small lines of code would actually cause hanging on a smoothie board in extreme conditions. I never had code hang on mine either, but I did get some odd results (on the smoothie board) with code that had smaller line segments. Having owned them all I'd say the DuetWifi is my fav, and the one I'd recommend. The web interface and fast code upload are awesome!
July 15, 2016 06:13AM
The Duet 0;8.5 and WiFi work fine with S3D, including the 3.0 version that sometimes generates large numbers of very short segments, which is what I mostly use. If you want to control the printer directly from S3D you need to select "hardware flow control" in the S3D configuration. But most people control the printer from the web interface, which is also used to upload gcode files generated by S3D or whatever to the SD card.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login