Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New RepRapFirmware/DuetWiFiFirmware 1.13

Posted by dc42 
New RepRapFirmware/DuetWiFiFirmware 1.13
June 16, 2016 04:23AM
EDIT: it looks like there may be a bug with the thermostatic fan control feature in this release. If you rely on thermostatic hot end fan control, please do not upgrade to 1.13 until this is resolved.

I have released version 1.13 of RRF here [github.com] (as usual, follow the link to the version you want, then press Raw to download it). The changes since 1.12 are:

* First firmware release for the new Duet WiFi (as already installed on the pre-production boards)
* Added support for M581 and M582 commands, including 'only if printing a file' condition in M581 command
* Fixed M117 for PanelDue (needs PanelDue firmware version 1.14)
* Firmware update messages are now sent to USB and PanelDue (needs PanelDue version 1.14 firmware to display them)
* M122 responses are now sent only to the comms channel that requested them
* Added gcode queue underrun counter, displayed in M122 Move diagnostic info
* SD card interface speed is included in M122 Platform diagnostic info
* Added support in M997 command to update additional firmware modules on Duet WiFi
* Corrected a possible problem with multiple incompatible gcodes being executed concurrently
* Support H parameter on M0 and M1 commands
* Treat M25 within the file being printed the same as M226
* Added additional M37 simulation modes to help identify bottlenecks
* Process M0 and M1 when in simulation mode
* When executing M0/M1 commands and no print is paused, execute stop.g/sleep.g if they exist
* Reduced interrupt latency, by not disabling all interrupts when starting a new move, to avoid losing characters sent by PanelDue
* Temporary fix for RTD temperature spikes causing failed prints
* Don't print extruder positions in M114 because they are always zero
* Allow setting of fan PWM from 50% upwards when a fan is in thermostatic mode
* Reduced default extruder heater PWM frequency to 500Hz
* Axes are flagged as not homed after using M350 to set microstepping
* Moved some utility maths functions to CoreNG

The compatible version of DuetWebControl is still 1.11 for the Duet, and 1.11a-dc42 for the Duet WiFi. I recommend that Duet users update /sys/iap.bin from here [github.com] after upgrading the firmware. There is no need to make any other changes to the SD card contents if you are already running firmware 1.10 or later and DWC 1.11.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2016 03:31PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
pkm
Re: New RepRapFirmware/DuetWiFiFirmware 1.13
June 16, 2016 08:55AM
Great, thanks!
Just downloaded and installed it.
I had to rename the file to RepRapFirmware-1.13.bin for the web-interface to recognize it as a firmware.

Uh-oh. I installed DuetWifi firmware to 0.8.5. Now it doesn't work, need to remember how to use bossac....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2016 08:58AM by pkm.
June 16, 2016 09:17AM
pkm
Great, thanks!
Just downloaded and installed it.
I had to rename the file to RepRapFirmware-1.13.bin for the web-interface to recognize it as a firmware.

Uh-oh. I installed DuetWifi firmware to 0.8.5. Now it doesn't work, need to remember how to use bossac....

I changed the name of the build for the Duet WiFi to DuetWiFiFirmware.bin, in the hope that it would avoid people flashing the firmware for the wrong board. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have worked.

To anyone else upgrading: for the Duet, the file you need is RepRapFirmware-1.13-dc42.bin. I guess I should have said that in my original post.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

pkm
June 16, 2016 09:29AM
Well, that was obviously my lack of attention.
I saw the last file "...1.13beta1.bin" but did not see the previous file "...1.13.bin". Looked on top and saw "DuetWiFi...1.13.bin". Somehow I thought that you switched to the new name since DuetWiFi released.
Flashed the correct firmware already, OK for now.

Can I change the default feed amount and rate for extruder control?
June 16, 2016 10:31AM
Hi David,

There seems to be a problem with configuring fan in thermostatic mode. I had it configured with M106 P1 T45 H1:2
It was working OK with 1.13beta1 release. Now with the new 1.13 on Duet 0.8.5 the fan does not come on once the hot end reaches 45 degrees. I can get it to work only by running M106 P1 T45 H-1 and then M106 P1 T45 H1:2
After disabling thermostatic mode with H-1 I can control the speed of the fan with plain M106 P1 S255 or M106 P1 S0 commands.

Furthermore once thermostatic mode is enabled and the fan turns off below 45 degrees it will not turn back on when the temperature becomes more than 45 degrees.

Am I doing something wrong even though it was working OK in the previous release? I attach my config.g just in case.

BTW do I have to set the PWM frequency using F parameter. If yes then what value should I use? The documentation says it is frequency and your release notes state that it is percentage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2016 10:36AM by yoorek.

Reality is in fact virtual.
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (5.1 KB)
June 16, 2016 12:27PM
wrong subject... moved

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2016 12:36PM by sgawad.
June 16, 2016 03:06PM
yoorek
Hi David,

There seems to be a problem with configuring fan in thermostatic mode. I had it configured with M106 P1 T45 H1:2
It was working OK with 1.13beta1 release. Now with the new 1.13 on Duet 0.8.5 the fan does not come on once the hot end reaches 45 degrees. I can get it to work only by running M106 P1 T45 H-1 and then M106 P1 T45 H1:2
After disabling thermostatic mode with H-1 I can control the speed of the fan with plain M106 P1 S255 or M106 P1 S0 commands.

Furthermore once thermostatic mode is enabled and the fan turns off below 45 degrees it will not turn back on when the temperature becomes more than 45 degrees.

Am I doing something wrong even though it was working OK in the previous release? I attach my config.g just in case.

BTW do I have to set the PWM frequency using F parameter. If yes then what value should I use? The documentation says it is frequency and your release notes state that it is percentage.

Hi yoorek,

I think I've made a mistake in some code changed to the thermostatic fan control. It's apparently working on my delta, but what I suspect is happening is that the fan is turning on at only 50% PWM, and that my hot end fan is OK with that but your fan isn't. I'll correct it and release 1.13a in the next couple of days. In the mean time I suggest you revert to 1.13beta.

The fan PWM frequency defaults to 500Hz, which I found gives a good range of control using the fans I have. Your fans may provide better PWM control using a higher or lower PWM frequency. The F parameter is in Hz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2016 03:07PM by dc42.

June 16, 2016 03:12PM
dc42
yoorek
Hi David,

Hi yoorek,

I think I've made a mistake in some code changed to the thermostatic fan control. It's apparently working on my delta, but what I suspect is happening is that the fan is turning on at only 50% PWM, and that my hot end fan is OK with that but your fan isn't. I'll correct it and release 1.13a in the next couple of days. In the mean time I suggest you revert to 1.13beta.

The fan PWM frequency defaults to 500Hz, which I found gives a good range of control using the fans I have. Your fans may provide better PWM control using a higher or lower PWM frequency. The F parameter is in Hz.

Thanks,

FYI I'm using E3D hot end and fan running at 24V (same as you I believe).

Reality is in fact virtual.
June 17, 2016 02:27PM
Will the Wifi and 0.8.5 firmware eventually be merged into one update?

Thanks for all your hard work and grats on the development of the DuetWifi.
June 17, 2016 05:00PM
Kurzaa
Will the Wifi and 0.8.5 firmware eventually be merged into one update?

Thanks for all your hard work and grats on the development of the DuetWifi.

If you mean will they ever be the same binary, the answer is no. The hardware is too different - for example, the ATSAM4E on the Duet WiFi as a floating point processor, but the ATSAM3X8E on the Diet 0.8.5 doesn't. But I'm keeping the source code common to both for as long as possible. That will change if/when we start using an RTOS for the Duet WiFi firmware.

June 17, 2016 08:12PM
dc42
....... on the Diet 0.8.5 .......

Is this low fat or low sugar? Does it contain aspartamine?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 08:16PM by bgkdavis.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
June 17, 2016 08:17PM
Apparently you cant use the words weight and loss in close proximity because its considered a banned word

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
June 21, 2016 05:19PM
In case anyone hasn't noticed, I released version 1.13A on Sunday. This fixes the issue with thermostatic fans running at the wrong speed, and also provides a readout of microcontroller temperature on the web interface - more details of this can be found in another thread.

June 24, 2016 02:18AM
Hi

Since 1.13a my PanelDue shows 0 or 1% on fan speed. Fan speed 0-99 gives 0% and 100% gives 1% on the LCD.
I updated the PanelDue FW but it made no difference, I've also downgrades to 1.12 - 1.13beta1 to test and they work fine.

Works
1.12 and less
1.13 beta 1

Doesn't work
1.13a

Running on Duet 0.8.5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 02:18AM by JimboRR.
June 24, 2016 03:21AM
JimboRR
Hi

Since 1.13a my PanelDue shows 0 or 1% on fan speed. Fan speed 0-99 gives 0% and 100% gives 1% on the LCD.
I updated the PanelDue FW but it made no difference, I've also downgrades to 1.12 - 1.13beta1 to test and they work fine.

Works
1.12 and less
1.13 beta 1

Doesn't work
1.13a

Running on Duet 0.8.5

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I will fix this in the next release. There will probably be a 1.13b for the Duet WiFi soon, so I'll consider doing a 1.13b for the Duet at the same time.

June 24, 2016 08:56AM
David,

Does this version include the M106 and M42 queuing, or is that still TBD?

Thx,
Pete
June 24, 2016 11:22AM
doodad69
David,

Does this version include the M106 and M42 queuing, or is that still TBD?

Thx,
Pete

That's still TBD. So M106 and M42 will be actioned a little early, unless you put an M400 command before them to wait for movement to finish first.

June 24, 2016 11:23AM
dc42
JimboRR
Hi

Works
1.12 and less
1.13 beta 1

Doesn't work
1.13a

Running on Duet 0.8.5

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I will fix this in the next release. There will probably be a 1.13b for the Duet WiFi soon, so I'll consider doing a 1.13b for the Duet at the same time.

I have just released version 1.13b which fixes this.

June 24, 2016 02:44PM
dc42

I have just released version 1.13b which fixes this.

Tested and verified to have fixed this bug smiling smiley

Thanks smiling smiley
/jim
July 17, 2016 08:50PM
Hello,

With all these updates and different version of Duet (0.6, 0.85 and wifi), I'm a little bit lost with different versions of Firmware.
So I have now in stock three 0.6 Duet, two 0.85 Duet and two DuetWifi in pre-order.
So my question is : which firmware file for Duet 0.6, which file for Duet 0.85 and which file for DuetWifi? Can we use the same file for the 3 controllers

Thank you very much.
Have a good day
July 17, 2016 09:24PM
I believe the Duet 0.6 and the Duet 0.8.5 use the same firmware that dc42 is calling RepRapFirmware, and the Duet uses what dc42 is calling DuetWiFiFirmware.

All found in dc42's github area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 09:25PM by PDBeal.
July 18, 2016 04:54AM
That's correct. At present I keep the releases of both firmwares in step, although beta releases may be for the Duet WiFi only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 04:55AM by dc42.

August 07, 2016 12:37PM
Any chance of getting M202 or M204 functionality? High acceleration for travel to help ooze, then lower for printing moves to improve quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2016 12:52PM by Masterjuggler.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login