Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet 0.8.5 CPU Temperature

Posted by yoorek 
Duet 0.8.5 CPU Temperature
June 20, 2016 10:45AM
I just noticed that DWC started showing CPU Temperature (must be the latest 1.13a firmware version that did it). This is very useful :-)))))))
Question for other users - what temperature is it reporting for you and where is your Duet mounted?
Mine oscillates around 52 degrees centigrade and the Duet is mounted in the bottom part of the printed (like in David's delta).

@dc42 - what is the safe temperature range for Duet 0.8.5 CPU? I do have a fan blowing on the board as per your design. The other temperature sensor that I have placed below the heated bed on the bottom metal plate shows 38 degrees centigrade with the bed turned on and at 70 degrees. The reason I am asking is that I want to determine if I need to place another fan somewhere there to lower the temperature. Ambient temperature is around 21 degrees.

Reality is in fact virtual.
Re: Duet 0.8.5 CPU Temperature
June 20, 2016 12:31PM
yoorek
I just noticed that DWC started showing CPU Temperature (must be the latest 1.13a firmware version that did it). This is very useful :-)))))))
Question for other users - what temperature is it reporting for you and where is your Duet mounted?
Mine oscillates around 52 degrees centigrade and the Duet is mounted in the bottom part of the printed (like in David's delta).

@dc42 - what is the safe temperature range for Duet 0.8.5 CPU? I do have a fan blowing on the board as per your design. The other temperature sensor that I have placed below the heated bed on the bottom metal plate shows 38 degrees centigrade with the bed turned on and at 70 degrees. The reason I am asking is that I want to determine if I need to place another fan somewhere there to lower the temperature. Ambient temperature is around 21 degrees.

The CPU temperature measurement needs to be calibrated, because the uncalibrated reading can be up to 45C out. To calibrate it:

1. Choose a time when the printer hasn't been powered up (not even from just the USB cable) for a while, because we are about to assume that the microcontroller on the Duet starts at room temperature.

2. Make sure you know what room temperature is.

3. Power it up.

4. Run M122 and look for the reported minimum CPU temperature. This will be the temperature just after the Duet started up, which is presumably close to room temperature;

5. Add command M912 P0 S### to config.g, where ### is (room_temperature - reported_minimum_temperature).

The maximum safe CPU temperature is 85C, but it shouldn't get anywhere near that in normal use.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 12:32PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 21, 2016 08:29AM
Hi DC42

Duet 0.8.5

Installed the update, noticed the temperature reading, thought "that's high i'll calibrate", picked a number to get it in the ballpark at least.....set it and rebooted, it was only then that I noticed the reading jumping around at least plus/minus 1c each side of average. ie at the moment i'm reading from 13.6 to 16.6 degrees with it constantly changing.

any thoughts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 08:29AM by aussiephil.
June 21, 2016 10:04AM
Is the 1.13a release stable and fixes the thermostatic fan, and does it support CPU temperature on Duet 0.6?

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
June 21, 2016 02:40PM
DADIY
Is the 1.13a release stable and fixes the thermostatic fan, and does it support CPU temperature on Duet 0.6?

Seems to be stable. I did 12 hours print with it without any issues. I can verify that the thermostatic mode now works. As far as Duet 0.6 is concerned I do not know. dc42 would have to answer that.

Reality is in fact virtual.
June 21, 2016 05:16PM
Yes 1.13a fixes the thermostatic fans. The CPU temperature works on all Duets but needs to be calibrated because it can be up to 45C in error. So make sure your 3D printer is at room temperature and you know what temperature that is, because we are going to assume that the microcontroller is at that temperature when it starts up. Start the printer, connect to it, send M122 and read off the minimum MCU temperature. Subtract that reading from room temperature to get the correction. Then add command M912 P0 Sxxx to config.g, where xxx is that correction.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login