Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any Interest in Using RRD Graphic Display on Duet?

Posted by ElmoC 
Any Interest in Using RRD Graphic Display on Duet?
July 02, 2016 01:25PM
I have been working on a little project for myself to interface the RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Display to the Duet. I have a basic system working that just provides status information...

Idle...

Printing...

I still have to add support for the encoder and a menu system. For debugging/development, I have all 3 extruders icons displayed. It will only show the actual extruders in the finished version. And because of space, can only do 3 right now. Sorry Kraken users.

While I started this as a project for myself, I thought I would see if there is any interest in the community for something like this. What is will be is a small adapter board the connects to the Panel connector on the Duet and has the two 5x2 connectors for the display. I figure the cost of the adapter would be around $20.

I was also wanting to get some input on the display layout. I have model the display around the format used on Marlin. During printing, the whole display is used. But when idle, there is a lot of left over display. Not sure what to add in that area. The data I can get to can be limited, but if it can be displayed on the PanelDue, I should be able to display it also.

How important is the display of the M117 message? I originally had it, but seeing that it was not supported on the PanelDue until recently, wondered how much call there is for it. When printing, I could cycle between the M117 mesage and the file name being printered. Or remove the "TIME LEFT" label an put just the file name there and free up the bottom line for the M117 message.

Anyone thoughts, suggestions on it?
Re: Any Interest in Using RRD Graphic Display on Duet?
July 02, 2016 10:45PM
Hi

Sounds just perfect. Keep up the good work and please let us know when we can buy

Regards
July 05, 2016 06:14AM
Check the radds post too, lot of us will have interest and already have the lcd , we already have the display pinout figure out since radds can use marlin and repetier and the graphic lcd already work on those , all we need really is the software part of it for RRF, so we can beta test your software like right now without any extra connector needed. You will off course have to talk to Dan Newman so he can include it in his radds .bin for RRF.
July 05, 2016 06:42AM
> Anyone thoughts, suggestions on it?
Please take the following with a grain of salt as I do not know the display on e.g. marlin.

Yes I would be very much interested in something like this! I would like to be able to:
- Select G-Code file from SD-Card for printing
- Adjust Speed and extrusion multiplier
- Pause / Restart
July 05, 2016 08:03AM
GroupB
Check the radds post too, lot of us will have interest and already have the lcd , we already have the display pinout figure out since radds can use marlin and repetier and the graphic lcd already work on those , all we need really is the software part of it for RRF, so we can beta test your software like right now without any extra connector needed. You will off course have to talk to Dan Newman so he can include it in his radds .bin for RRF.

What I am making is an adapter for the Duet's panel connection, which is a serial interface. It sounds like you are looking for the support the DuetWiFi will have. It has the two 5x2 headers the display connects to on board.
But from what I am told, that will be supporting the PanelOne, which is texted based.
July 05, 2016 08:03AM
auser
> Anyone thoughts, suggestions on it?
Please take the following with a grain of salt as I do not know the display on e.g. marlin.

Yes I would be very much interested in something like this! I would like to be able to:
- Select G-Code file from SD-Card for printing
- Adjust Speed and extrusion multiplier
- Pause / Restart

All those, and more, are planned. smiling smiley
July 05, 2016 11:18AM
I'm excited to hear about your work!
I used the M117 command on my old controller, and see it as a nice feature for when I'm using my printer in demonstrations. "Warming up", "Printing skirt", "Cooling off", and "Done" are things that let casual observers see what the print is up to.

A thought is that the M117 code could be displayed until the next layer change, or something else time-based.
But really, it would just be super cool to have a simple display with some basic adjustments that I could use.

Keep it up, man!
July 05, 2016 05:31PM
ElmoC
GroupB

What I am making is an adapter for the Duet's panel connection, which is a serial interface. It sounds like you are looking for the support the DuetWiFi will have. It has the two 5x2 headers the display connects to on board.
But from what I am told, that will be supporting the PanelOne, which is texted based.

A radds is not a duetWifi... its a complete other board that also run RRF... it also have serial interface and also is panel due compatible but it also have the common LCD pinout right on the board , LCD 4 ,5 ,6 7,RS,EN and even , beeper, enc_A, enc_B, enc_P.

There no need for adaptor for it, only the software for RRF is require I guess, Using SPI or directly the lcd pin should work on that board
July 05, 2016 05:51PM
GroupB
ElmoC
GroupB

A radds is not a duetWifi... its a complete other board that also run RRF... it also have serial interface and also is panel due compatible but it also have the common LCD pinout right on the board , LCD 4 ,5 ,6 7,RS,EN and even , beeper, enc_A, enc_B, enc_P.

There no need for adaptor for it, only the software for RRF is require I guess, Using SPI or directly the lcd pin should work on that board

I know it is not a DuetWiFi. I was just saying you will want the type of support that the DuetWiFi will have. It may be possible to port any code done on the DuetWiFi back to the RRF code used by the radds. I have not looked at the schematics of the radds or the DuetWiFi to know if the connections are the same or not.

If it has the PanelDue serial connection, then there is no need to add it to the firmware right away. Once I finish the adapter, if someone wants to supply me with a radds, I can see about adding support to the firmware.
July 07, 2016 04:02AM
Hi,

Im' using RADDS, and I'm very interested by your solution.
My LCD screen was configured like this :
[github.com]

Hope it will help you.
July 07, 2016 04:24AM
shofman
Hi,

Im' using RADDS, and I'm very interested by your solution.
My LCD screen was configured like this :
[github.com]

Hope it will help you.

Looking at your write-up, the connectors on the RADDS display are not the same as those used of the RRD Graphic display. What firmware are you using on your RADDS?
July 07, 2016 12:26PM
I was on Repetier. the LCD worked great with it.

I've switched to RRF (1.13): only the SDCard reader and the reset switch are functionnal.

Do you have a layout of your RRD Graphic Display ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 12:30PM by shofman.
July 07, 2016 06:33PM
shofman
I was on Repetier. the LCD worked great with it.

I've switched to RRF (1.13): only the SDCard reader and the reset switch are functionnal.

Do you have a layout of your RRD Graphic Display ?

I have a Geeetch version and it is a little different in that it has an extra button that controls the light. But other than that, it is identical to a regular RRD graphic display.

Here is the schematics for that display.

[www.geeetech.com]

The one difference I noticed right off was the pins for the encoder were on the #1 plug with RADDS but #2 on Geeetech. The pins can normally be remapped so that may not be a problem.
July 08, 2016 12:49PM
I think I have a Geeetech too, sadly never was able to use it when I was running RAMPS on my delta, but it would be nice learn more about your project.

Definitely don't care for the Marlin interface, I have also had trouble with the encoder the one or two times I attempted to use it (too many clicks, reversed, etc...). What kind of area does the screen support for mocking up display ideas?
July 08, 2016 12:51PM
I think the Duet 0.6 only supports 1x extruder and the 0.8.5 2x extruders, If more extruders were to be used, how would your board interact with the add-on board?
July 08, 2016 12:54PM
Kurzaa
I think I have a Geeetech too, sadly never was able to use it when I was running RAMPS on my delta, but it would be nice learn more about your project.

Definitely don't care for the Marlin interface, I have also had trouble with the encoder the one or two times I attempted to use it (too many clicks, reversed, etc...). What kind of area does the screen support for mocking up display ideas?

The screen is 128x64. The Marlin interface was just the starting point I used for the screens. They are not identical, but similar. The menus will be different. The problem with the clicks/reversed direction is a known issue lots of people have with the displays on Marlin firmware. These are also problems with the texted based displays too.
July 08, 2016 12:56PM
Kurzaa
I think the Duet 0.6 only supports 1x extruder and the 0.8.5 2x extruders, If more extruders were to be used, how would your board interact with the add-on board?

It would only display 3 of the hot ends if you used the add-on board. Just not enough space on the display for all the information. Using smaller fonts would be possible, but the legibility is really bad.
July 08, 2016 03:42PM
ElmoC
It would only display 3 of the hot ends if you used the add-on board. Just not enough space on the display for all the information. Using smaller fonts would be possible, but the legibility is really bad.

Sorry, didn't explain my comment right. Would your board be a pass through board for the Duet extension board? That way both boards could be used together, thus allowing more than 3 extruders. Also, I thought the Duet Wifi was going to have a different pin out pattern, but I could be wrong.

One more question, how will the display board be controlled? Is it being compiled into the firmware? Added to the DWC? Or would it be an extra set of code on the SD card? What about adding a few pins for controlling LEDs or RGBs (?). I think it would be nice to have some LEDs turn on only when the printer is active as opposed to always powered on with the printer itself. I also considered using RGBs so that you could have maybe one color while the hotend is warming up, another during the print itself (standard white for time lapse), and then another for when the hot end or bed are above a certain temperature but otherwise the printer "appears" dormant. Should clarify I like the idea on paper, just not sure if it would be worth the cost over simple LEDs.
July 08, 2016 04:57PM
Kurzaa
ElmoC

Sorry, didn't explain my comment right. Would your board be a pass through board for the Duet extension board? That way both boards could be used together, thus allowing more than 3 extruders. Also, I thought the Duet Wifi was going to have a different pin out pattern, but I could be wrong.

One more question, how will the display board be controlled? Is it being compiled into the firmware? Added to the DWC? Or would it be an extra set of code on the SD card? What about adding a few pins for controlling LEDs or RGBs (?). I think it would be nice to have some LEDs turn on only when the printer is active as opposed to always powered on with the printer itself. I also considered using RGBs so that you could have maybe one color while the hotend is warming up, another during the print itself (standard white for time lapse), and then another for when the hot end or bed are above a certain temperature but otherwise the printer "appears" dormant. Should clarify I like the idea on paper, just not sure if it would be worth the cost over simple LEDs.

The display and adapter will work the same way as the PanelDue. On the DuetWiFi and 0.8.5, there is a four pin connector for the panel (I believe for the 0.6 version you have to connect it to the expansion connector). No changes to the firmware is required. The display sends G codes to the controller via the panel connection. It is just a serial port with power and ground. The adapter has it's own processor so you could really do whatever you want on the display. I originally was going to use a panel I made with the Adafruit ST7565 display which has an RGB backlight. The idea was to change the background color based on different printer status. But because of some issues with manufacturing quality of the display, I opted out of that for now.

In regards to what would happen if using the extension board with more than 3 extruders, the panel would work properly. It just wouldn't show the temperatures on the extra hot ends. But that did give me an idea. I don't know if I can get information on the current hot end, but if I can, I could highlight the nozzle icon for the active hot end.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login