Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Commissioning first Duet, need some help

Posted by VTE 
VTE
Commissioning first Duet, need some help
July 17, 2016 11:32PM
Hello,

I have done as much reading as I could on commissioning the Duet. I have run into a few roadblocks.

1. The SD card that was supplied with my Duet has Kossel configured Gcode in the SD card. I need to change this to a cartesian style configuration. I downloaded the Ormerod-2 'sys' folder and named it 'sys', I then put that in place of the current 'sys' folder that had the kossel config. Is that all I need to do to start configuring my cartesian machine?

2. Second problem I ran into. I plugged in my 100k 3950 thermistor into the heated bed TEMP input. I am sending M105 and getting back B:12 for room temperature. Surely it is not that cold in here. I looked at the M503 table and it has the correct values for T:100000 and B:3950. If I touch the thermistor is goes to 18C, which is still very low for body temperature. I am not sure what else to do here to correct this. I am pretty sure my thermistor is a 100k 3950.

3. I am still not sure, if the firmware currently on the board (I checked using an arduino session, it is 1.09r) can support the cartesian machine. Is there unique firmware for delta, cartesian or coreXY machines? Or does the loaded firmware support all three configurations?

Thank you in advance

EDIT: Ok I think I just read in the Duet overview that the same firmware supports all 3 motion control architectures. I will just edit my sys file using the Ormerod-2 original or mendel original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 11:59PM by VTE.
Re: Commissioning first Duet, need some help
July 17, 2016 11:52PM
VTE
3. I am still not sure, if the firmware currently on the board (I checked using an arduino session, it is 1.09r) can support the cartesian machine. Is there unique firmware for delta, cartesian or coreXY machines? Or does the loaded firmware support all three configurations?

Yup, the firmware supports cartesian, delta, and CoreXY Core XZ, Core YZ which is all defined in the config.g file with M667 or M665 if it's a delta configuration.
VTE
July 18, 2016 12:05AM
I am also trying to set up auto bed level compensation, I have the mini IR probe. Is there a good how-to for this?

I was looking in my homex.g script and I dont see anything there regarding setting up some auto level compensation feature.
July 18, 2016 05:02AM
See the section on the bed.g file at [duet3d.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 18, 2016 06:02PM
Hi

Have a look the the following pictures how i got my fie structure on my SD card I hope they help explain things to you.

The last picture shows my settings for the thermistor settings in my case I had to replace my hot end thermistor and it has different ohms reading from the Bed one. How I arrived at those settings for me might be considered some what of a "dirty hack" but it has worked fine and the temps have been correlated using different temp measuring devices and all came up with the exact same readings.

I used kapton tape to tape my multi-meters temp probe to the hole where my bed thermistor is located and I allowed the meter to stabilize on ambient (room) temperature I already knew the ohms reading of the thermistor so I then opened the duet web interface and looked at the reading that the bed thermistor was showing in the interface. in my case the thermistor was reading high so I went to the "settings" tab and then navigated to the "configuration file" tab and then scrolled down and found the g-code "M305"

As my reading was showing high I chose the "L0" setting and reduced it to a (-) arbitrary figure and then clicked "apply settings" and then reconnected to the board and watched what temp the web interface relayed back to me and I adjusted with more (or less) of a negative value until the web interface displayed a temp reading that matched what the probe on my multi meter was reading, tested the temp with a cheap IR digital temp meter and another meter and all four read the same. I switched the bed heater on and cranked it up to 80c and again all displays matched what the web interface, allowed everything to cool back down and the readings were the same.

I did the very same for my hot end thermistor by taping the probe to the hot end heat block right beside the on board thermistor and carried out the same operation above but in this case my on board hot-end thermistor was reading -11 so I had to change the "H0" to a (+) number until I got the web interface to match my other temp probes. tested that up and down a few time to check and all was fine. worked for me.

So to me up and down were all matching, Job done as far as im concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 06:03PM by Calvinx66.
VTE
July 19, 2016 03:06AM
Thanks for the input on the temp probe. I will take a look at that.

But before I do, I need to update my firmware and I am having an issue locating the Bossac program. I have arduino 1.6.9 installed on my computer and I could not find bossac in the arduino tools directory folder. In fact I did a quick windows search and couldnt find "bossac" anywhere.

Is 1.14 the latest firmware for the duet?

Is this the correct file I need?

[github.com]

Or is this the one I should use?

[github.com]

One instruction is telling me to use 1.14, the other is telling me to go to master to get the latest version.

Not sure which to use or how to upload or locate bossac.exe
July 19, 2016 05:34AM
The second of your two links is to the last version that reprappro released. It is more than a year old. When they brought out the Fisher 3D printer kit, they told customers to use my fork instead.

The first link is to my latest stable release.

To find bossac, you need to first install the Arduino support for ARM processors. Then if you are running Windows, select the option in Windows Explorer to make hidden files and folders visible. Bossac lives somewhere within C:/Users/yourusername/AppData. After that it's within either Roaming or Local, I forget which. I'll add a copy of bossac to my repository one of these days.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

VTE
July 20, 2016 09:51PM
Hello thank you.

I installed the support packages via the boards manager, for SAM Boards (32 bits - ARM).

I looked through C:/myusername/applicationdata and also a file called appdata, I found roaming but only my Slic3r folder was there, not bossac. Local also did not have Bossac. I am not sure how to get the firmware uploaded at this point. I will keep looking.

I also did show hidden folders, still nothing.
VTE
July 21, 2016 12:14AM
One more question. I am trying to configure my G code endstops.

I have two endstops, one for X and one for Y at the minimums.

In marling these are called MIN ENDSTOPS, but I see a different nomenclature for this for reprapfirmware. It calls them LOW END or HIGH END. Is it safe to assume I have one end stop each on the LOW END for the X and Y axis and a Z PROBE?

I am using this configurator as a trial for constructing my G code configs and I need to understand the naming.

[configurator.reprapfirmware.org]

1. what is probing speed first pass and second pass?

2. In that link I posted as a reference to my learning process, I have a question in the heaters section. If I have a chamber heater, does it use a thermistor for feedback control and where would I plug that temp probe into the Duet? also, where would be the output (power out, on duet) to the chamber heater circuit that I would like to use?

3. If I have multiple printers, what should I change the last two characters of the mac address? I see this right now, BE:EFgrinning smileyE:AD:FE:ED, what would printer 2 look like, printer 3 etc...?

4. In the cooling fans section of the link above, I am running basic 12V cooling fans. What should my frequency be? I am not running PWM fans, I am also running a water pump.
July 21, 2016 03:48AM
To find bossac, look in Local or Roaming for Arduino15, then inside that it's something like hardware/tools. I'll check when I am in the office.

Yes you have low end X and Y endstops.

1. I think it means homing speed not probing speed. The configurator generates homing files that home the printer first at the first pass speed, then move away from the endstops and home again at the slower second pass speed for greater accuracy.

2. The M141 command has a parameter to specify which heater/thermistor channel the chamber heater uses.

3. Change the last 2 characters to any hex digits you like.

4. I find that 500Hz works well with the fans I use. If you find that your fans have a poor speed control range, try lower.

HTH David

VTE
July 22, 2016 12:37PM
I successfully flashed the 1.14 firmware, thanks for the help.

But now when I open arduino and try to open a serial monitor, it sends me an orange message "Error opening serial port 'COM25'. (Port not found)". I can't send an M115 command or establish communication. I tried using pronterface too and it won't connect. I powered down the board and plugged it back in, same issue.

Please help if you can.
July 22, 2016 02:37PM
After a firmware change, Windows might have changed the comport to something else. Check your device manager and see if you still have a COM25 or if it's now something else.
July 22, 2016 02:38PM
Use Device Manager to check whether the Duet is COM25 or a different COM port. If you are coming from 1.11 or earlier than the COM port assignment will have changed.

VTE
July 22, 2016 04:49PM
I looked at my device manager it says this. see attached

It looks like COM25.
Attachments:
open | download - com.jpg (81.4 KB)
VTE
July 22, 2016 04:51PM
Nevermind I got it to connect. I had 4 other things plugged into a USB splitter hub and that must have caused the Duet to freak out because too much stuff going on through one USB port.

I guess as long as you keep everything else off the USB hub, it connects.
VTE
July 22, 2016 05:22PM
I will be doing the temp probe calibration that you did Calvinx66. I just find it silly that it is not plug and play. The 100k 3950 probe is so common, for the price of the board and the advancements it has, why can't it just read this thermistor correctly? Not hating, just a suggestion for the future. I dont know why it cant read correctly, and now I have to spend a few hours to get it to work right.

Also, what makes me think that if I burn out a thermistor and replace this one with a new one, that my calibration is going to be the same? I just forsee this being a lot of work, there has to be a more plug and play solution for this.
July 22, 2016 06:21PM
VTE
I will be doing the temp probe calibration that you did Calvinx66. I just find it silly that it is not plug and play. The 100k 3950 probe is so common, for the price of the board and the advancements it has, why can't it just read this thermistor correctly? Not hating, just a suggestion for the future. I dont know why it cant read correctly, and now I have to spend a few hours to get it to work right.

Also, what makes me think that if I burn out a thermistor and replace this one with a new one, that my calibration is going to be the same? I just forsee this being a lot of work, there has to be a more plug and play solution for this.

Thermistors have quite wide tolerances, especially on B value, so you are unlikely to have two that read exactly the same. Most 3D printer users ignore this, because the temperature that works is largely a matter of experimentation anyway, because it depends so much on the filament and the hot end. Consistency matters much more than accuracy.

So all you need to do is:

1. Put the thermistor's nominal R25 and B values into the M305 command for that heater in config.g;

2. If the reading when cold is more than about 3C different from what you know room temperature to be, adjust the H parameter to bring it into line.

There is no need to do anything more complicated.

The plug-and-play solution to getting accurate temperature readings is to use a thermocouple or PT100 sensor instead of a thermistor. We have made this easy to do on the Duet WiFi by providing thermistor and PT100 daughter boards, and E3D sells cartridge-style thermistors and PT100 sensors for their hot ends.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 06:23PM by dc42.

VTE
July 22, 2016 06:39PM
Awesome thanks for the info david.

I bought a PT100 and amp board that I wanted to use with my ramps but I never ended up using it. I want to get the duet running on a 3950 and then I will switch to PT100s.

I had a question about my configurations. I am generating my gcode using this 'configurator' application.

[configurator.reprapfirmware.org]

I'm at the part where it asks for bed probe info. I am using your Mini IR probe. What should I put for the values for trigger height and trigger value?

1. Is trigger height the same as ZOFFSET in marlin? What exactly is trigger value?

2. I notice in that configurator there is a "maximum heater temperature" field. But I see this applies to all heaters, can I have different max temperatures for my other heaters? bed and chamber? It would not make sense for my bed to have a max bed temp of 285C before it shuts down. 150 more like it. How can this be done?

3. In the next tab, "cooling fans". I see that there is FAN0 and FAN1. FAN0 has no thermostatic trigger temperature. Does this mean it is just on or off?
3b. Am I making a mistake by assuming the M106 and M107 commands control this fan? If not, do M106 and M107 still apply or is that completely irrelevant since that command is for marlin firmware?

4. In the same tab, cooling fans. FAN1 has thermostatic control, I notice that the field shows 45C. Does this mean that the fan turns on or above 45 and off below 45?
4b. I would like to use FAN1 output to control a water pump to cool my hot end, how much power can the FAN1 circuit carry? The pump is a small PC style water pump.

Thanks again
July 22, 2016 06:57PM
In answer to your questions:

1. This is covered in section "Testing with Duet electronics" in the IR sensor fitting instructions at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. I think Marlin's Z offset is the same as trigger height, but I am not certain. The trigger value should always be 500 for my IR sensor.

2. That temperature is intended to apply to extruders.

3. You can configure each fan as either a standard PWM-controlled print cooling fan, or as a thermostatic fan. By default, FAN0 is set up as a print cooling fan and FAN1 is set up as a thermostatic hot end fan.

4a. Yes

4b. The fan mosfet should be OK up to at least 1.5A and probably 2A. If you use it to drive an inductive load (e.g,. brushed DC motor), you must connect a flyback diode across the load.

Please bear in mind that the configurator has not been officially released yet, so it may contain bugs and be lacking in help info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 06:58PM by dc42.

VTE
July 22, 2016 07:39PM
Thanks for the info David.

Here is another list of questions I have compiled in the last 2 hours.

I am trying to use the E1 output to control a chamber heater.

I want to make sure my gcode is correct. I did use the configurator and I know it is not finalized.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Configuration file for Duet 0.8.5
; executed by the firmware on start-up
;
; generated by RepRapFirmware Configuration Tool on Fri Jul 22 2016 18:39:55 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

; General preferences
M111 S0 ; Debugging off
G21 ; Work in millimetres
G90 ; Send absolute coordinates...
M83 ; ...but relative extruder moves
M555 P1 ; Set firmware compatibility to look like RepRapFirmare
M208 X0 Y0 Z0 S1 ; Set axis minima
M208 X230 Y292 Z275 S0 ; Set axis maxima

; Endstops
M574 X1 Y1 Z0 S0 ; Define active low and unused microswitches
M558 P1 X0 Y0 Z1 H5 F120 T12000 ; Set Z probe type to unmodulated, the axes for which it is used and the probe + travel speeds
G31 P600 X20 Y-46 Z2.5 ; Set Z probe trigger value, offset and trigger height

; Drives
M569 P0 S1 ; Drive 0 goes forwards
M569 P1 S1 ; Drive 1 goes forwards
M569 P2 S0 ; Drive 2 goes backwards
M569 P3 S1 ; Drive 3 goes forwards
M92 X80 Y80 Z400 E471 ; Set steps per mm
M566 X300 Y300 Z2 E50 ; Set maximum instantaneous speed changes (mm/min)
M203 X18000 Y18000 Z900 E3000 ; Set maximum speeds (mm/min)
M201 X1000 Y1000 Z100 E150 ; Set accelerations (mm/s^2)
M906 X1200 Y1200 Z1200 E800 I30 ; Set motor currents (mA) and motor idle factor in per cent
M84 S30 ; Set idle timeout

; Heaters
M143 S285 ; Set maximum heater temperature to 285C
M570 S150 ; Set maximum heating time to 150s
M141 H2 ; Assign chamber heater to heater 0
M301 H2 P-1 ; Set heater 2 to bang-bang mode
M301 H2 S60
M305 P0 T100000 B3950 R4700 L0 H0 ; Set thermistor + ADC parameters for heater 0
M305 P1 T100000 B3950 R4700 L0 H0 ; Set thermistor + ADC parameters for heater 1
M305 P2 T100000 B3950 R4700 L0 H0 ; Set thermistor + ADC parameters for heater 2

; Tools
M563 P0 D0 H1 ; Define tool 0
G10 P0 X0 Y0 ; Set tool 0 axis offsets
G10 P0 R0 S0 ; Set initial tool 0 active and standby temperatures to 0C

; Network
M550 PVTM5 ; Set machine name
M540 PBE:EFgrinning smileyE:AD:FE:ED ; Set MAC address
M552 P0.0.0.0 S1 ; Enable network and acquire dynamic address via DHCP

; Fans
M106 P0 S1 I0 F500 H-1 ; Set fan 0 value, PWM signal inversion and frequency. Thermostatic control is turned off
M106 P1 S1 I0 F500 H1:2 T45 ; Set fan 1 value, PWM signal inversion and frequency. Thermostatic control is turned on

; Custom settings are not configured

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am aware the configurator is not finalized, I am learning a lot from studying it.

EDIT WITH THIS NEW QUESTION: I do not see M350 or M574 in my code. Should I add those Mcodes?? The configurator did not add them, are they necessary?

How does my movement/drive code compare to this code shown below? This code was taken from the following URL:[duet3d.com]

M569 P0 S1 ; Drive 0 goes forwards (change to S0 to reverse it)
M569 P1 S0 ; Drive 1 goes backwards
M569 P2 S1 ; Drive 2 goes forwards
M569 P3 S1 ; Drive 3 goes forwards
M569 P4 S1 ; Drive 4 goes forwards
M350 X16 Y16 Z16 E16 I1 ; set 16x microstepping with interpolation
M574 X0 Y1 Z0 S1 ; set homing switch configuration (Y homing switch only, at low end, active high)
M906 X800 Y1000 Z800 E800 ; Set motor currents (mA)
M201 X800 Y800 Z15 E1000 ; Accelerations (mm/s^2)
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z100 E3600 ; Maximum speeds (mm/min)
M566 X600 Y600 Z30 E20 ; Maximum jerk speeds mm/minute
M208 X200 Y200 Z200 ; set axis maxima and high homing switch positions (adjust to suit your machine)
M208 X-8 Y0 Z-0.5 S1 ; set axis minima and low homing switch positions (adjust to make X=0 and Y=0 the edges of the bed)
M92 X80 Y80 Z4000 ; set axis steps/mm
M92 E420:420 ; set extruder 0 and 1 steps/mm
G21 ; Work in millimetres
G90 ; Send absolute coordinates...
M83 ; ...but relative extruder moves

Please take a look at the code and let me know if I accomplished the control I am looking for, for the heated chamber using E1.

1. Am I correct to assume that H2 means E1? Since H2 is heater 2 which is the second extruder?

2. I put S60 in the code, after H2 (see red). Since that will be the target chamber temperature. Please let me know if I did it correctly. I looked up the M141 code on the Mcode list and the SXX parameter is target.

3. I now understand in the M106 command that the H command turns on thermostatic controls. I see H1:2 T45 (see red) was generated by the configurator. H1 means thermostatic control on, what does the "2" mean before T45? T45 is the thermostatic trigger from what I understand.

4. Which fans does M106 control when it is activated? For instance if I send M106 through pronterface, which fan turns on? Can I control each fan individually through pronterface by typing M106 P0 or M106 P1??

My ultimate goal is to have auto bed level, heated chamber with control, water cooled nozzle with no control (just ON when a print starts and OFF when finishes), single extruder and heated bed.

I am also running everything on 24v power because my extruder requires it to attain the extrusion speeds I am looking for. Any objections running 24v duet?

Thanks again

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 08:57PM by VTE.
July 23, 2016 03:36AM
Some answers:

1. Yes, heater 2 is the E1 heater.

2. M302 H2 S60 is not correct. To use the chamber heater, add M141 S60 to your slicer start gcode, also add M116 after that if you don't have it already. The M141 command sets the chamber temperature and the M116 command waits for all temperatures to be reached. If your slicer end gcode includes M0 then that will turn off the chamber heater at the end of the print, or you can add M141 S0 to be sure if you want.

3. H1:2 in the M106 command means that heaters 1 and 2 are monitored, so that the fan will be on if either of them exceeds 45C.

4. If there is no P parameter in the M106 command then it defaults to P0.

5. The Duet 0.8.5 is rated at 35V absolute maximum, 30V recommended maximum input voltage. Lots of people use the Duet with 24V.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 03:37AM by dc42.

VTE
July 24, 2016 09:14PM
Ok that makes sense.

To your point about M141 S60. What if I wish to use the board to control when the chamber turns on using my slicer? For instance, I use E1 (second extruder) to turn my chamber on, there will be a thermistor in the chamber for feedback. Do I use bang bang or PID? I would assume bang bang. Where does M141 S60 come into play?

I may have forgotten to mention, I want the chamber to turn on half way through a print, or at least have the slicer dictate when the chamber turns on and what the target temperature is. I use simplify3D, what is the easiest way to do this?
If I put M141 S60 at my beginning code, the chamber will just turn on at print start and I would like the slicer to handle that.

See the attached image for example. Can you also confirm if T2 in S3D is in fact E1 (H2?)?? I want to make sure I am controlling my systems correctly.

Thank you so much again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 09:19PM by VTE.
Attachments:
open | download - chamber.jpg (233.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login