Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Probe Value

Posted by Calvinx66 
Z Probe Value
July 27, 2016 05:14PM
Hi All

I have Duet 0.8.5. which is (or was) working fine....

I am trying to install a Mini height sensor board from DC42. I previously had a fully operational PNP probe but as I want to use a glass plate I bought one of David's Probes.

I have found that in the web interface with no probe installed I have Z-probe reading of 433. And after installing the mini height sensor the reading doubles !!

Is there anyway to reset the probe reading to ZERO.

Following DC42's website I also cant get the probe to flash four times (to signify its in analog mode) after powering up via USB only (it just powers straight up and the LED is on constantly)

Checked the wiring which is (from the left of the sensor with the Capacitor facing out as : Signal ---- Ground--- VCC

And I have the connections on the Duet 0.8.5 as follows

Duet ----------------------> Mini height sensor board

AD12 ------------------> Signal from the height sensor
GND ------------------> Ground
PC10 NOT USED for mini height sensor
3.3V -------------------> VCC

Anyone any idea's ?

Regards

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 05:18PM by Calvinx66.
Re: Z Probe Value
July 27, 2016 05:37PM
Please check that your wiring really is as you describe above. If the LED is on permanently but dimly, that suggests that the 3-pin connector socket has been put on the header pins the wrong way round. If you are sure that it is correct, then that suggests a short between the OUT and VCC pins, or a faulty sensor. If you think the sensor is faulty, please ask for a replacement.

Also make sure you have selected probe type 1 in your M558 command in config.g.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 27, 2016 06:48PM
One thing to note, the cable that Filastruder supplied for my IR Probes wasn't exactly right for use with the Duet. They supplied a cable with 3 pin connectors on both ends, but when you pair it with a duet, you need a 4 pin connector because you have to skip a pin between VCC and GND. Figured I'd mention it considering the suggestion about wiring.

I imagine this may also be the same if you purchased it from somewhere else. I don't remember if it came with a 4 pin connector or not to be honest though, as I had some laying around.

That is assuming you connect it to the probe port and not the z-endstop pins.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 06:50PM by PDBeal.
July 27, 2016 07:24PM
David

Thanks for the Info.

I'm quite anal with regards wiring It used to be part of my job wiring up down-hole wire-line oil tools, any issue with wiring of a tool that was 25,000ft underground meant you were sacked !!

I triple checked the wiring and checked for continuity between pins at the time of placement and before I plugged the unit into the Duet (none) , due my chosen location of the sensor the pins were not an option so I made up a "flying lead" as you can see from the pictures. No overheat during soldering, I use a temp controlled weller.

The silicone is just for a little strain relief.

The Led is not dim at all, I'm not sure if it shows on the pictures or not, it goes through a delay at start then shines brightly no flashing at all.

With regards the connector at the Duet end, I agree with that. I am waiting on a re-stock of 4 way plugs (ebay & china urrrghh) so I had to make one up from a 1 & 3 way shroud.

Sadly it would appear that the unit is faulty. I will contact the supplier to see what we can work out.

Regards

Pins on the plug at the duet end are wired as it looks Green = Signal, Black = Ground, Red = VCC

Placement

LED Brightness

Mounting & LED

Front View

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 04:07AM by Calvinx66.
July 27, 2016 07:57PM
Do you have a picture of the cable when you go from your flying leads to the cable to the Duet?
July 28, 2016 04:16AM
PDBeal
Do you have a picture of the cable when you go from your flying leads to the cable to the Duet?

No unless I pull it out of the cable management chain and the loom going to the Duet. There is no problem in there as it meters out perfectly from one end to the other when I put it in and when I installed the sensor, again all three lines were checked for continuity between each other and checked between common Ground and VCC before installation. No fault found.

I am 100% confident it is wired up correctly.

Regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login