Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware 1.15 release candidate 3

Posted by dc42 
New firmware 1.15 release candidate 3
August 21, 2016 02:57AM
I have made RepRapFirmware 1.15-rc3 available at [www.dropbox.com]. The changes since version 1.14 are:

- Implemented experimental PID automatic heating model calibration and PID tuning. See [duet3d.com] for details and instructions.
- Implemented much better heater safety monitoring, based on a model (first-order-plus-time-delay) of each heater/sensor system, using default models if none have been configured
- Implemented M38 (thanks Chrishamm).
- Added support for an SD card socket on the SPI bus, and implemented M21/M22 to support this. This was done primarily for the Duet WiFi and has not yet been tested on the wired Duets.
- Added support for new Duet Web Control functions, in particular the sys file editor (thanks chrishamm)
- Increased the PWM resolution
- Included the status of the SD card-detect signal in the M122 response
- Further improvements to speed of step pulse generation
- Improved motion smoothness when printing circles and complex shapes at high speed
- Bug fix: PID parameters entered using M301 had the I parameter doubled and the D parameter halved, and vice versa for PID parameters reported by M301
- Bug fix: the object height was sometimes incorrectly extracted from gcode files
- Bug fix: slicer comments that included certain characters (e.g. '\') would give ajax errors when the file information was returned
- Restructured the source code tree
- Further changes specific to the Duet WiFi firmware build, see [www.duet3d.com] for details

Important: if you are using M301 commands to set PID parameters in config.g, you will need to double the I term and halve the D term to take account of the bug fix.

If you try out the experimental model-based PID tuning, please let me know how well it works for you. It requires stable temperature readings at the start, which may be a problem for some users of older Duet 0.6 boards having 1K thermistor series resistors.

Chrishamm has released Duet Web Control version 1.12RC1 and I have put a zip of that in the same location. You can install it by uploading it on the Settings page of Duet Web Control. I'll leave it to Chris to tell you about the improvements in this version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 03:01AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New firmware 1.15 release candidate 3
August 21, 2016 07:09AM
I realise this firmware version involved a lot of work because basically the entire heating code has been rewritteen, so once again well done, David!

For those who are interested, here the changelist for DWC 1.12-RC1:

Merge of dc42's latest DWC changes (thanks again!)
Refactored the entire JavaScript logic
Modified and extended build script to generate SPIFFS and ZIP packages (not published yet)
Redesigned settings page, introduced new values for Duet WiFi and improved data binding
Changed several settings from milliseconds to seconds
Allow creation of custom macro files
Implemented /sys file editor
Allow download of /gcodes and /sys files
Improved AJAX handling, added support for two new HTTP requests and parsing of new rr_connect values
Auto bed compensation button now visible on small devices and added quick connect button to error notification for small devices
Firmware temperature limit is applied to temperature chart
M117 messages can be automatically discarded
Implemented file info caching to speed up G-code file list (although rr_fileinfo is already way faster thanks to dc42's improvements)
Improved firmware update dialogs
Added Hungarian translations (thanks nhadrian) and extended German ones for new version
Minor bug fixes

If you notice any problems, please report them here.
August 21, 2016 07:28AM
Haven't yet tried it but just wanted to say a great big thank you for the time and effort that you guys put in. I for one really appreciate it.
August 21, 2016 09:46AM
Awesome. Good job!
How is the external SD card used? Like, how does paths to files on this card look? Does it get "mounted" somewhere in the file system?
August 21, 2016 11:30AM
tomasf
Awesome. Good job!
How is the external SD card used? Like, how does paths to files on this card look? Does it get "mounted" somewhere in the file system?

The paths look like "1:/file.g". To mount it, send M21 P1.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 21, 2016 02:22PM
Is this only for Duet WIFI оr will work ok on my board 0.8.5 ?
August 21, 2016 04:19PM
I have put an updated version (1.15-rc4) at [www.dropbox.com]. This link is for the Duet 0.6 and Duet 0.8.5. If you installed rc3, please update to rc4.

For Duet WiFi users, I made a separate announcement on the Duet WiFi forum with a different link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 04:32PM by dc42.

August 22, 2016 08:34AM
Does the "increased PWM resolution" will help us in interfacing a Servo ? Or is this still on the to-do list for future versions ?
August 22, 2016 10:47AM
unromeo21
Does the "increased PWM resolution" will help us in interfacing a Servo ?

Yes, that was one of the reasons I did it.

August 22, 2016 10:51AM
Fantastic work, I will grab this and install it later tonight/tomorrow. I'm new to the Duet (waiting on my WiFi still), and was curious when/if automatic PID tuning would be implemented. I found the stock values worked pretty well for my bed and E3Dv6 so I sort of forgot about it.

Nice work!

Co-Founder at Printit Industries, LLC
Makers of the Calidum heated bed series; genuine distributor of fully-assembled E3D HotEnds.
[www.printitindustries.com]
August 22, 2016 11:10AM
dc42
- Bug fix: PID parameters entered using M301 had the I parameter doubled and the D parameter halved, and vice versa for PID parameters reported by M301

Important: if you are using M301 commands to set PID parameters in config.g, you will need to double the I term and halve the D term to take account of the bug fix.

Is this something that is an active bug in the older firmware versions <1.13, or is this a bug only in the 1.15+ versions? Trying to figure out if I need to re-evaluate my PID settings in the current machines despite the fact they look to be working well, or if this is only in the 1.15+ firmware.
August 22, 2016 02:13PM
PDBeal
dc42

Is this something that is an active bug in the older firmware versions <1.13, or is this a bug only in the 1.15+ versions? Trying to figure out if I need to re-evaluate my PID settings in the current machines despite the fact they look to be working well, or if this is only in the 1.15+ firmware.

The bug goes back to version 1.09 at least, and probably earlier than that.

August 23, 2016 05:31PM
I noticed your RepRapFirmware-1.15.bin file is now on the github location. Does this mean it is released and no longer a release canidate?
August 24, 2016 04:42AM
Yes, I released it this morning. Chrishamm has also released DWC 1.12.

August 24, 2016 12:17PM
dc42, whenever you release a firmware update you tend to write a small blurb about it on the forums (here or duet3d). Would you mind putting those blurbs into a running text file and putting it in the release folder on your github? It can be hard to find all the posts to follow the chain of changes that have happened if you are a few firmware versions behind. Thanks again for everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 12:17PM by n8bot.
August 24, 2016 12:29PM
I tend to agree that a running Change log would be a good idea.

Doug.

n8bot
dc42, whenever you release a firmware update you tend to write a small blurb about it on the forums (here or duet3d). Would you mind putting those blurbs into a running text file and putting it in the release folder on your github? It can be hard to find all the posts to follow the chain of changes that have happened if you are a few firmware versions behind. Thanks again for everything.
August 24, 2016 01:36PM
I just ran into two issues after upgrade.

1. Web interface reported H1 heater fault, heater not responding to web interface controls or G-code controls.
I run a 12V module-type PSU on about 15VDC (cranked up the Vadjust) because my chinese (supposedly 12V) bed takes about an hour to get ~60C. With 15V, I'll get 90 to 100C which is OK with buildtak bed surface. New M303 auto-tuning seems to function just fine (heats up H1 ; have to keep P parameter really low: 0.1 in order not to overheat). Successful tuning did not "fix" the issue, had to revert to 1.14 for now until my 24V upgrade kit arrives.

2. While playing around with above, I noticed that after "soft" restart with M999 , H1 temp started to "creep up" slowly. Same as above, neither G-codes or web interface was able to switch off heater. PSU off-on worked until next soft reset.

PS: Forgot: Duet 0.85

Regards,
Mait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 01:37PM by minimum.
PRZ
August 24, 2016 03:03PM
I compiled the release notes of DC42 revision (and DWC) since 1.09a.
The change up to 1.14 is available on RepRap wiki here : [reprap.org].

However, since I issued the Aquilegia Help system [otocoup.com], I will not continue to maintain the RepRap Wiki and up to date pages will only be found on Aquilegia help.

So this changelog page up to date is here (with both Duet Wifi and Duet Wired changelog, so you better select your board): [otocoup.com]

dougal1957
I tend to agree that a running Change log would be a good idea.

Doug.

n8bot

Pierre

- Safety [reprap.org]
- Embedded help system for Duet and RepRap Firmware [forums.reprap.org]
- Enclosed delta printers Lily [rouzeau.net] and Lily Big [rouzeau.net]
- OpenScad delta printer simulator [github.com]
- 3D printing on my site [www.rouzeau.net]
August 24, 2016 03:04PM
minimum
I just ran into two issues after upgrade.

1. Web interface reported H1 heater fault, heater not responding to web interface controls or G-code controls.
I run a 12V module-type PSU on about 15VDC (cranked up the Vadjust) because my chinese (supposedly 12V) bed takes about an hour to get ~60C. With 15V, I'll get 90 to 100C which is OK with buildtak bed surface. New M303 auto-tuning seems to function just fine (heats up H1 ; have to keep P parameter really low: 0.1 in order not to overheat). Successful tuning did not "fix" the issue, had to revert to 1.14 for now until my 24V upgrade kit arrives.

2. While playing around with above, I noticed that after "soft" restart with M999 , H1 temp started to "creep up" slowly. Same as above, neither G-codes or web interface was able to switch off heater. PSU off-on worked until next soft reset.

PS: Forgot: Duet 0.85

Regards,
Mait.

Mait, were you running one of the 1.15 release candidates, or the 1.15 release? Both those issues were reports in the release candidate, and both are believed fixed in the 1.15 release, which is available here [github.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 03:05PM by dc42.

August 24, 2016 04:43PM
dc42
Mait, were you running one of the 1.15 release candidates, or the 1.15 release? Both those issues were reports in the release candidate, and both are believed fixed in the 1.15 release, which is available here [github.com].
Ok, I downloaded it a few days ago, and I think it was rc3 (can't check right now). Will download the final 1.15 and re-upgrade. Thanks for fast replysmiling smiley

PS: I vote for the changelog in github as well.
August 24, 2016 08:46PM
I've got the 0.6, and using the 1.15 release, I get hotend temp creep whether I soft or hard reset (software reset or psu power). Reverted to 1.14 and the issue went away.

DWC 1.12 is nice. Just have to be careful not to click the "system editor" tab while using firmware 1.14, or it disconnects from the printer. I also reverted to DWC 1.11 for the time being because I like the ability to modify firmware settings on the fly. Otherwise, didn't see any issues. It's moving in a good direction.

I also noticed that the combination of DWC 1.12 and reprapfirmware 1.15 takes noticeably longer to boot up upon startup than 1.11 and 1.14. I am unsure if this is caused by DWC or reprapfirmware, I haven't bothered to experiment that far.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 08:53PM by Masterjuggler.
August 25, 2016 01:54AM
Yup, the temperature creep is still there. Hard reset works.

Freshly downloaded 1.15 with DWC 1.12

Edit:
And so is the heater H1 "fault" still there. All the same as in my 1st post.
Back to 1.14

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 03:00AM by minimum.
August 25, 2016 04:00AM
Silly me didn't back up www directory before upgrading DWC ... eye rolling smiley

So now after downgrading firmware to 1.14, I'll get right after log in to web control the next message:

Communication Error

An AJAX error has been reported, so the current session has been terminated.

Please check if your printer is still on and try to connect again.

Error reason: Unknown request

Tried flushing browser's (Chrome) cache, didn't help.

If anyone can help me getting previous version DWC files or help to fix current issue, I'd be very grateful.

Mait
August 25, 2016 06:38AM
I am unable to reproduce the heat creep, but I can see how it might be caused if there is an occasional spike in the temperature sensor readings. I have done a new build (1.15a) to address this possibility. The binary for the wired Duets is [dl.dropboxusercontent.com] and for the Duet WiFi [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. Please let me know if it fixes the issue.

Firmware 1.15 takes 0.54 seconds longer to start up than previous versions, while it waits for the temperature readings to stabilise.

August 25, 2016 08:24AM
Hi David,

my bed sometimes have spikes in temp sensor. With 1.15a it´s working now.
M303 on E3D V6 with 24V cardrige is working also very good. Only when my hotend is near to the bed and I switch on the Layerfan the temp is falling around 3-4°C unable to go back to selected temp.
When the hotend is more up and the airflow is now no longer reflected from the bed it is able to reach the selected temp again.
When I encrease the P value in M303 it´s overshooting temp in the auto test.
Is there any way to make it work good with layerfan on? Would be nice if M303 can do the test to the end and switch on Layerfan to react to the changed values for better PID tuning?

But all in all 115a is fantastic! Thanks very much for that new version!

cheers
Dirk

PS: with 115 my Delta sounds differnt compared to 114. Not changed amps or speeds. Does that mean that there are changes in pathcomputation?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 08:28AM by critical_limit.
August 25, 2016 09:14AM
Hi Dirk,

The reason I went for calibrating a model of the heating system rather than use traditional Zeigler-Nichols + relay auto tuning was so that in future I can implement feed-forward control to take account of external factors that affect the heating system, such as switching print cooling fans on and extruding filament quickly. But it will be a while before I have time to do that.

After a temperature drop, the temperature will return to the set temperature, but it may take a little while if the excursion is more than 1C because the PID goes back to using the long-term integral parameter instead of using the short-term one. In the next release or update, I'll look at always using the short-term one after initial heating or cooling to the set temperature is complete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 09:14AM by dc42.

August 25, 2016 09:20AM
1.15a:

Right after firmware upgrade (and reboot that follows), temperature creep still there.
Switching off and on seemed to do the trick until after some time got message "Error: heating fault on heater 1, temperature excursion too large".
After that of course heater at fault and unresponsive.

Tried once more off-on, now got temp creeping up again. I'm able to control heater but since I left my old pre-bugfix M301 PID setting, temp rise after setting a temperature is slow (but noticeable difference from "creep"). 10 minutes to 170C.
Changed the M301 PID settings (from M301 H1 P10 I0.10 D100 T0.50 to M301 H1 P10 I0.20 D50 T0.50). Second off-on killed the up-creep; heater at fault, no error messages in g-code console.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 09:23AM by minimum.
August 25, 2016 10:55AM
For those that are affected by heat creep and need to downgrade until the strange bug is fixed, here is a link to the DWC 1.11: Clicky!

It just took a little bit of searching to find it on github.
August 25, 2016 11:50AM
minimum
1.15a:

Right after firmware upgrade (and reboot that follows), temperature creep still there.
Switching off and on seemed to do the trick until after some time got message "Error: heating fault on heater 1, temperature excursion too large".
After that of course heater at fault and unresponsive.

Tried once more off-on, now got temp creeping up again. I'm able to control heater but since I left my old pre-bugfix M301 PID setting, temp rise after setting a temperature is slow (but noticeable difference from "creep"). 10 minutes to 170C.
Changed the M301 PID settings (from M301 H1 P10 I0.10 D100 T0.50 to M301 H1 P10 I0.20 D50 T0.50). Second off-on killed the up-creep; heater at fault, no error messages in g-code console.

I'm sorry to hear that the heat creep isn't fixed. I'll take another look at the code and see if I can spot any other ways that it could happen. A few questions for you:

1. What temperature did you set, before you saw it creep to 170C?

2. Are you measuring the temperature using a thermistor, thermocouple, or RTD?

If a heater gets into a fault state, you can reset it using M562 P# where # is the heater number. M0 will turn all heaters off.

UPDATE: I have just managed to reproduce heat creep on one of my printers by using a noisy thermistor channel. So now I will know when I have fixed it (or this particular cause of it).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 12:40PM by dc42.

August 25, 2016 01:00PM
Since updating I see a couple of things I wouldn't expect -

After homing I see the warning symbol next to the printer name and the text -
The following axes are not homed: A, B, C

Also in settings -> machine properties it says -

Z-Probe
Type:
Two Switches (4)

But I have three switches.

Any tips how to tidy this up?

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login