Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PanelDue Emergancy Stop button

Posted by DADIY 
PanelDue Emergancy Stop button
September 07, 2016 12:37PM
I added an emergency stop button to a local copy of the 1.15b3 firmware. Only tested on a 7" panel but thought I'd post a pic to see if this placement was liked.

To me, this seems the logical place as it's always going to be in the same place on all screens. I'd probably like to make the button smaller and change the symbol to match DWC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 12:39PM by DADIY.

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3023.PNG (260.7 KB)
Re: PanelDue Emergancy Stop button
September 07, 2016 03:54PM
Good for you!

My worry about putting the emergency stop button there is that it would be too easy to touch by accident. That would be really annoying if you triggered it during a print while trying to touch one of the adjacent buttons. That's why I was thinking of the top left corner, with no adjacent buttons in either the horizontal or vertical direction. But then it would only be on the Control and Print pages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 05:38PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
VDX
September 07, 2016 04:40PM
... it's better to install a separate (real) emergency button beside the display - I had some occasions, where a fast tap prevented a really expensive crash eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 07, 2016 04:44PM
I like the idea of the E-Stop being at the top left. Like David said, there is no real button pushing in that area. I agree with the Control and Print screen.
September 07, 2016 04:45PM
It was a quick 5 minute tweak to add the button and tweak the other capitals due to your excellent code and I can only tell you my use case. Once I start a print I don't use the bottom menu bar until it's finished, to be fair I tend not to touch anything.

I wouldn't fiddle with the setup or console screens whilst printing and if the button was smaller it would reduce the risk of accidentally pressing the button. However if it's too small it would be hard to press in a hurray. My theory was to copy how ford place the hazard button on the dash which I dread to think how much they spent on that choice.

My Thingiverse Creations
September 07, 2016 05:02PM
I think physical buttons are a thing of the past. Companies like tesla are already bolting huge touch screens to the dashboard to replace real buttons.

My Thingiverse Creations
September 07, 2016 06:56PM
An emergency stop in software cannot be guaranteed to work, software does crash while looking fine. A real emergency stop mechanical switch will, since they're usually wired to kill all power to the device.
VDX
September 07, 2016 07:36PM
... this depends winking smiley

We're actually using 5(!) different stop methodes and buttons with our machines:
- "Pause" (with Resume) - will empty queue buffer before stopping
- "Stop" (without Resume) - will empty queue buffer before stopping
- "Software Emergency Stop Button" - stops after actual action, needs Reset
- "Safety Stop" - evocates software stop and deactivates motors and heaters - needs reset
- "Hardware Emergency Stop Button" - kills all power instantly

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 10, 2016 04:10PM
DADIY
I think physical buttons are a thing of the past. Companies like tesla are already bolting huge touch screens to the dashboard to replace real buttons.

Completely off topic I know but that bought back memories of the Aston Martin Lagonda back in the 80s. They though it'd be cool to replace the traditional instruments with displays but this was way before LCD displays and they had miniature CRTs I think they were. I was involved with the engine management system and we had to see if it would start at minus 20 degC. So we had the vehicle in a cold chamber for an over night soak. The good news was that the engine started, the bad news was that we couldn't really tell what was going on because all the displays failed. They did come back to life when the temperature got back up to around minus 5. Wonder if Tesla have thought of that............smiling smiley

Maybe with developments in voice recognition, (AKA Google Now), maybe even screens will be obsolete. My natural reaction if things go horribly wrong with a print is to shout "STOP". It'd be really cool if that was actually acted on.smiling smiley

OK Google - print me a widget.smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login