Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

S3D Profile

Posted by Taz-dig 
S3D Profile
September 11, 2016 08:29PM
I set up a job with my coreXY, Simplify 3D said it would take 7 hrs to print. When I loaded it into my printer DUET said it was 24 hours. Is this an error from Simplify 3d or the DUET. Does someone have a profile for S3D they can share for a coreXY machine.

Thanks
Re: S3D Profile
September 12, 2016 03:11AM
Slicers are always optimistic about print times. The Duet firmware monitors how the print is going and bases it's estimates on that. The estimate based on filament consumption is usually the most accurate. However all 3 estimates are pessimistic initially because they don't take the reduced speed of the first layer into account.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 12, 2016 12:36PM
I'm also using S3D with my corexy printer. S3D is optimistic like dc42 said, in my case generally between 25-50%. One time S3D told me a job would take 28 hours and ended up taking 44. I don't think S3D takes into account acceleration, jerk, and any other settings not set within S3D itself.

Unfortunately S3D doesn't have any way to become more accurate, unlike Slic3r where you can tell it to automatically add a certain percentage to its estimated print time. Instead, you can just take the time S3D gives you and manually add an average percent to it if you want a better estimate.

Also, like dc42 said, ton't bother looking at DWC estimates on the first layer. I usually start paying attention to them at around layer 4 or 5 when it has had a chance to recalculate its estimates. Past that, you need to decide for yourself which estimate to look at in DWC. If every layer takes the same amount of time, look at the layer time estimate. If it's a complex print where layer time and print speed change constantly, look at file progress. If print speed and extrusion rate is kept constant but layer times vary, look at the estimate based on filament usage.
September 12, 2016 12:45PM
Thanks for the information. I know on my Maker Gear M2, S3D is about 5-10% longer. I have never had it be that far off. Maybe this is due to a custom machine versus a branded machine. Really don't know, but I have been using S3D for about 1-2 years and again it was never that far off.
September 12, 2016 12:53PM
Was it only that print, or is it like this on all prints? And just to be sure, is it only the estimation that is way off in DWC, or does the actual print time match what the wild estimation said?

It doesn't matter if it's a custom machine, mine is home built too. I based mine off the D-Bot CoreXY on Thingiverse, but with my own extruder, the BigBox heat bed, 24V, Duet, and some miscellaneous printed mods.

Like I said, S3D can only calculate it based on the information it has in its own settings. Besides acceleration/jerk, maybe you have something else set that is screwing up the estimations. Maximum speeds set in firmware maybe?
September 12, 2016 03:53PM
I agree there is a settings error in the S3D. I have a custom CoreXY home built with a duet 0.8.5, 24V. With this board being a G-Code board and the marlin using setting, I wonder if that is what causes the delay. I am going to upload the same job onto my Maker Gear tonight to see what the time on that printer will be with the same print speed, rapid speed and see what it says. Maybe because the S3D does not see these setting, it does not calculate. I will report back later tonight and let you know if they are different.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login