Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Status of PanelOne support?

Posted by Treito 
Status of PanelOne support?
October 20, 2016 06:10AM
Hello,

what is the status of the support for the PanelOne?

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: Status of PanelOne support?
October 20, 2016 09:24AM
It hasn't been started yet, apart from the SD card support which is already done, and T3P3 doesn't make the 3.3V version of Panel One yet. It's low on the priority list because when we asked Duet WiFi users what firmware features they most wanted, only 2 people put it in their top 5. See this thread [www.duet3d.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 21, 2016 02:55AM
Thanks for the answer. To be honest I was a little bit too fast.
I have PM contact with a guy from a German group who wants to build a CoreXY after a given hardware. However we discussed the advantages and disadvantages of the controller boards. I told him that for the Duets there is "only" the PanelDue solution and not this simple LCD which you often find with Ramps/ RADDS.
So I did not want to say anything wrong. And guess what? He was excited of the idea with the touchscreen even though he does not want to spend much money for it. He is contacting another guy from this group who has built some printers on its own already. This guy does not like the Duet because it is not very known in Germany and the stepper drivers are not changeable.
However if I look at the details of the boards there is only one solution for me called Duet (version is pending on the needs) and then Smoothieboard. Both are equipped with soldered stepper drivers, but the config.g solution of the Duet is much better.
RADDS may be nice, but it is not cheaper as a DuetWifi and far away from being as comfortable as the Duet.

At the moment I do not know how the guy will decide, but the PanelDue left a good impression.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 03:00AM by Treito.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
October 21, 2016 12:19PM
You can tell your friend that soldered-on stepper drivers, properly cooled with adequate PCB area, are much more reliable than plug-in drivers. As with any stepper driver you should not connect or disconnect motors with power applied, but if you obey that simple rule then they are very reliable. The plug-in drivers don't have enough PCB area to cool them properly. They also have a relatively long path between the driver chip and the capacitor on the motherboard that absorbs back emf form the stepper motor, although I don't know whether that is significant or not.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login