Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet 0.6 - Much current for heater connection?

Posted by Treito 
Duet 0.6 - Much current for heater connection?
November 20, 2016 06:49AM
Hello,

how much current can the connector handle on each pin?
I would like to replace the 4 wires with only 2 wires, but one vendor claims it with 3.0 Amps, but I would end up at about 3.4 Amps. This is not possible or is it?

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: Duet 0.6 - Much current for heater connection?
November 20, 2016 08:52AM
3.4A is too much. The heater pins were doubled for a reason.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 20, 2016 09:00AM
Thanks. That was the fact I was afraid for.

The reason is that the connector at the hot-end failed again so I cannot print the parts for my CoreXY. The Ormerod 2 is broken with the z-nut-trap, a completely new error. So I will have to keep this double wires what does not make me lucky.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
December 25, 2016 05:50AM
Hello,

as I got a 24V heated bed very cheap I decided to switch to 24V for the Delta (original controller (Repetier) was a little bit on fire).
In this case if I use a 40W, 24 Volts heater cartridge (about 15 Ohms). Using only one pin should be okay, right? I would like to lead the wires directly to the controller card without any further connectors.

Best regards,

Sven

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 05:52AM by Treito.

December 25, 2016 06:12AM
24V / 15 Ohm = 1.6A
It should work
December 25, 2016 06:33AM
What's the problem with 4 wires? If it's an issue with space, you could take each pair of thin wires, cut them about 20 - 30mm and solder both to a thicker wire - you'd then have 2 thicker wires to put through the printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 06:34AM by David J.
December 25, 2016 06:38AM
David J
...solder both to a thicker wire...

You gave yourself the answer. I would like to avoid any unnecessary connection. Also the whole cable tree is in motion (Delta) and underneath the Duet will not be much space.
The printer was already on fire and I don't want to repeat this.

December 25, 2016 06:39AM
o_lampe
24V / 15 Ohm = 1.6A
It should work

Thanks that was my result, too. But I wanted to be sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login