Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing from 1.8 degree motors to 0.9 degree - what to change?

Posted by David J 
Changing from 1.8 degree motors to 0.9 degree - what to change?
November 22, 2016 05:10PM
This is a trivial question, and I think I know the answers, but I'd like some reassurance/guidance... I am about to change the X-Y motors on my CoreXY printer from 1.8 degree ones to 0.9 degree ones, and I know I'll have to change the config.g file.

First, I presume that the steps-per-millimetre value will have to be doubled for those motors. I'm not sure what else will need to be changed - the motors are of similar current value and of the same physical size, so the driving current should be much the same - shouldn't it?

Is there anything else I need to think about?
Re: Changing from 1.8 degree motors to 0.9 degree - what to change?
November 22, 2016 06:02PM
The only other thing you may need to think about is that if you use 12V power then the travel speed may be restricted. See [duet3d.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 22, 2016 06:02PM
I have seen it suggested that you use a 24v power supply with those motors to get the max torque from them. Hopefully you are already using 24v or were planning on upgrading.
November 23, 2016 03:39AM
Already on 24v. smileys with beer

Thanks for the info - good to know that it's a straight swap with just a little reconfiguration.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login