Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermistor Cable Length?

Posted by clearlynotstefan 
Thermistor Cable Length?
November 27, 2016 06:58AM
I cut all of my effector side cables (fan, hotend, thermistor, ir board connector) and extended them with 20awg for everything but the hotend (16awg). No problems on fan, haven't tested IR, but I noticed I'm getting MUCH higher readings at room temp on e0 thermistor. Would a significantly longer cable (think 2m) introduce noise or resistance or cause signal dieoff sufficient to skew my numbers? Could it be my choice of cable?
Re: Thermistor Cable Length?
November 27, 2016 11:09AM
Did you twist it and kept it apart from the heater wires?
VDX
November 27, 2016 11:10AM
... longer wires for analogue readings get more noisy - here you'll need very good shielding, and/or 4-wire connection ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 27, 2016 01:39PM
How would I wire it with 4 wires? I'd try that if it'd help!
November 27, 2016 02:36PM
If it's a normal thermistor, then using longer wires makes no appreciable difference, and interference picked up by the wires should not be an issue because of the filtering done at the Duet. Check that the thermistor wires are not shorting against the hot end metalwork.

However, if you are using a PT100 sensor instead of a thermistor, then with long cable runs you should use a 4-wire connection. See my blog for details.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 27, 2016 04:18PM
Whoops sorry for a silly question. Turns out I overwrote my SD card with the wrong file simultaneous to my wire extending, had R1000s instead of 4700. They'll be of course many more silly questions for you generous people. I built a duet based deltaand all my experience is with an 13, RAMPS, and Marlin, so there is a LOT of learning and getting used to things. Your help thusfar and in the future is sincerely deeply appreciated, I'd never be able to get this thing going without you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login