Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

adapting a dremel to a duet

Posted by Gaou 
adapting a dremel to a duet
November 28, 2016 03:23AM
Guys i am thinking of trying a small router i have on my mendel rpp. The problem is that i dont know how to setup a gcode for that . from what i cant tell is that the gcode should be written upside down . Is there any easy way to do this ?

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
Re: adapting a dremel to a duet
November 28, 2016 02:31PM
This sounds like more of a slicer problem then a printer board issue. Thinking about it you couldn't just reverse the g-code because you would still need to lift the drill bit up for moves.
November 28, 2016 03:29PM
Yes indeed it is a slicer problem. The title is way off. Sorry guys.
The bit up on every move reminds me the retraction and i wish it would be the only problem. Can the slic3r produse such a code? Or simplify3d ?

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
November 28, 2016 04:03PM
You don't do subtractive manufacturing with a slicer. That's for additive manufacturing with a 3d printer. Read about CAM software. It also produces a G-code file, but designed for cutting and removing material.
The best free tool out there at the moment is Autodesk Fusion 360.
November 29, 2016 03:04AM
unromeo21
It also produces a G-code file, but designed for cutting and removing material.

and there is the duet ...! would it be able somehow to read-work such a code ?

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
November 29, 2016 03:51AM
Gaou
unromeo21
It also produces a G-code file, but designed for cutting and removing material.

and there is the duet ...! would it be able somehow to read-work such a code ?

Yes with some limitation. Duet does not support G2 and G3 (Controlled Arc Moves) which CAM software for CNC milling/routing use quite extensively.
There is a workaround for this, which is quite simple. Post-process the G-code file in "G-code ripper" which will convert the Arc Moves into small linear moves (G1).

Otherwise, I don't see any reason for this not to work, as long as you don't use other CNC specific commands like controlling coolant, spindle speed, tool change, etc.
November 29, 2016 05:16AM
Also the Christan's fork of RepRap Firmware (https://github.com/chrishamm/RepRapFirmware/) has a section instigated by me to control a Roland Modela CNC mill.

The Roland talks its own language as opposed to G Codes, so this takes G Codes and translates them into that language for transmission on a serial port from the Duet to the Roland at 9600 Baud (which is what it likes) using a piece of electronics something like this: [github.com].

But mechanically the Roland is just a three-axis CNC mill, so if you just take the translation and serial code out it may help form a basis of what you want.

(I use this for PCB milling on a pretty much daily basis.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 05:18AM by Adrian Bowyer.

best wishes

Adrian

[reprap.org]
[reprapltd.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login