Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacing controller for Delta with Duet

Posted by Treito 
Replacing controller for Delta with Duet
November 29, 2016 02:45PM
Hello,

I recently got a Micromake D1, but the controller is terrible. If I would change to a Duet controller, where can I get the values and what is meant? I don't see the connections between the configuration file and the schematics of the Dalta principle at the wiki.
Can anybody please help me?

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: Replacing controller for Delta with Duet
November 29, 2016 03:58PM
Hi Sven,

If you use a Duet controller then use the tool at [configurator.reprapfirmware.org] to generate the configuration and homing files. You will need to know the following parameters of your delta printer:

- Distance between the bearing centres of each rod. You can measure this, or get it from your old firmware config.
- Approximate delta radius (the exact radius will be determined by auto calibration, assuming your printer has a Z probe). The delta radius is the horizontal distance spanned by any one of the rods when the effector is centred, between bearing centres.
- Approximate height of the nozzle above the bed when the carriages are triggering the endstops. Again, auto calibration will determine this accurately.
- Printable radius (the distance from bed centre that the nozzle can reach in any direction without the effector or anything on it hitting anything)
- The motor currents. If your motors have part number labels on them, look up the current rating and set the motor currents to 50% of that value. Later you can increase the current if necessary.

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 29, 2016 05:31PM
Many thanks.

The problem is that the connectors are very bad. The power supply is no tight fit a simple airflow and it lost contact. Okay not that extremely but nearly.
Also the Atmel 2560 is a little bit slowly.
It's equipped with a simple Z probe: The nozzle gets pushed up and release the triggering of a switch.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
December 02, 2016 10:13AM
I am confused, are you trying to convert your Micromake from the existing 8-bit controller to a Duet board or are you trying to configure your 8-bit board for z-probing and improve the connectors?
December 06, 2016 08:56AM
Just wanted to share my (positive) experience with swapping out the default board on my AnyCubic AliExpress Kossel Mini to the Duet. It was easy to do, just look up the parameters in the firmware of the Micromake if you're not certain. If you post a link to the firmware I'd be happy to see if I can dig those out for you in case of doubt.
December 06, 2016 09:07AM
Many thanks.

These are the settings I can read so far. I think the first values are the important ones. But I have to finish my CoreXY first before I change the Delta. Somehow I should be able to print the new parts. winking smiley

December 07, 2016 09:21AM
Great, you have the most important values there so it should not be too hard, unless Micromake is using some very non-standard parts (but likely they don't). Good luck.
December 07, 2016 03:51PM
Treito
Many thanks.

These are the settings I can read so far. I think the first values are the important ones. But I have to finish my CoreXY first before I change the Delta. Somehow I should be able to print the new parts. winking smiley

I think you should be able to plug the first 3 values directly into the H, D and R parameters respectively of your M665 command in config.g. I have no idea what "Flow rate" means in this context.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 08, 2016 02:17AM
Many thanks, I was unsure because of the labelling of the parameters of the M665 command, especially about the horizontal radius. There was a link named "Replacing the controller with a Duet" where I only ended up at dc42's great blog, but not at the required values.
Flow rate is very simple: These are the Extruder steps per mm. grinning smiley
So when my Core is finished I can exchange the controller to my lovely Duet, especially the actual firmware is more than great. The only disadvantage may be the fact that the original card support higher microstepping and so it is a little bit quieter.

December 08, 2016 02:21AM
Kurzaa
I am confused, are you trying to convert your Micromake from the existing 8-bit controller to a Duet board or are you trying to configure your 8-bit board for z-probing and improve the connectors?

O sorry I did not see your post.

The power connectors from the original board are very bad. Many users complains about melted connectors. Also the controller is often stuttering during prints caused by the 8-bit-AVR. So it does not make sense to exchange the connectors only.
I mentioned the z-probe-trigger-system because I asked before if the firmware is able to do the autocalibration like the Micromake (second part at the screenshot).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login