Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta axis?!

Posted by clearlynotstefan 
Delta axis?!
December 03, 2016 06:47AM
So I've been tinkering and setting up my delta on duet wifi. Spent the last few days working on effector tilt, printing new parts on my other printer and generally making it more solid before I start printing.

Today I attempted to move my effector on the x and y axis to calculate my IR probe offset and noticed that they aren't even remotely perpendicular. ! Then I realized I don't even know what X and Y look like on a delta. Picturing my towers as triangle with 2 points at the bottom, my Y moves toward a tower and my X moves toward a space between towers! On a proper functioning system, again picturing a triangle with the base at the bottom, does the intersection of x and y look like " "+" or an "x"? My steps per mm have been tested in absolute mode and are all appropriate. Any ideas?
Re: Delta axis?!
December 03, 2016 04:17PM
The conventional approach is that looking at the front of the printer, the X tower is on the left, the Y tower is on the right and the Z tower is at the back. +X movement is to the right and +Y movement is towards the rear.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 03, 2016 06:41PM
What would make my axes not perpendicular excluding steps per mm? Also what's the jog carriage g code again? To make it disregard delta and just spin one motor? I'd like to recheck those steps
December 04, 2016 03:25AM
I think you should read a litle bit more about Delta style printers. Sorry for being so direct. But your questions are going really down to basics, and have nothing to do with Duet controller. I wonder how did you manage to build one actually...
Again, I do not mean to offend you, just trying to help. The Firmware calculates the kinematic for you. Your center of coordinates is in the middle of your bed, with a standard right-handed coordinate system. Towers XYZ are just named so for convenience. If you would use G1 X100 F1000, this would move all three motors, and the carriage will move to the right to +100mm direction, just as it does with your Printer, as you have described in your first post. If it isn't, then you FW is not configured for a delta printer.
December 04, 2016 07:01AM
I mean I appreciate your concern, but you're answering basic questions that I know the answers to. I understand delta motion fine, but obviously I'm encountering a problem with the axis alignment. The question of whether the effector moves like a + or an x when viewing from a perspective with 2 towers on the bottom is an entirely fair one, after all if you view from a different angle, you'd get the opposite answer lol. There is literally nothing intuitive whatsoever about assuming the triangle is viewed with a face at the bottom as opposed to a point. Its a circular bed with a triangular structure; superimposing a "+" shaped axis could take place at literally any angle. The two that make sense are X between towers, and X heading towards a tower (with Y perpendicular to that line). I understand how delta robots use "XYZ" towers to move on an actual X - Y plane, I was merely asking for the direction of the "actual" x-y relative to the position of the towers themselves, so I can diagnose which of my towers/motors is causing the actual axis to be out of line (ie is the x or y tower skewing things). Next, I asked here mostly to get DC42s input, and because I suspect my problem is actually a firmware issue. My towers are square and equidistant, my endstops are accurate and I have little to no effector tilt. The only explanation left for such an egregious alignment issue likely lies in my config.g - Finally, you didn't actually answer my question. I understand how to job the effector on the actual X Y plane (how else would I know I even have this problem?), I'm asking how to jog a CARRIAGE on a tower 100mm, so I can remeasure steps/mm on each. That, btw is probably a duet specific GCode.
December 04, 2016 09:07AM
Ok, this makes more sense now. Sorry, but still - coordinate system of any delta is alway the way it is, I guess I was confused by you asking if it is a "+" or "x" orientation...

I am not saying it is the only way, but usually the steps per per mm can be calculated if you know the number of tooth on the pulley, belt pitch and number of degrees per step of your stepper motor.
For a 20 Tooth pulley, GT2 belt and 1.8deg/step motor you should have a 80steps/mm in M92 command.
For a 0.9deg/step this would be a 160 step/mm

If you need to check that, I think you could use something like this:
G1 S1 X100 - this will move the X carriage up by 100mm.

I hope this helps...
December 04, 2016 03:27PM
Thanks. It was a tough question to phrase so I totally understand the confusion. Appreciate your help, I'll let you know how it works out when I get this straightened out.
December 08, 2016 02:34AM
dc42
The conventional approach is that looking at the front of the printer, the X tower is on the left, the Y tower is on the right and the Z tower is at the back. +X movement is to the right and +Y movement is towards the rear.

Good to know. My vendor defines it in a different way (X at back, y at left and z at right) and I was also wondering if I would replace the z-endstop-switch with a 3D-Touch how to calculate the offset because the switch is in the front.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login