Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

12V heater cartridge on 24V possible?

Posted by Treito 
12V heater cartridge on 24V possible?
December 20, 2016 02:42PM
Hello,

After my Delta burnt a little bit, I decided to repair it nearly from scratch. I will replace the damaged electronics with a Duet 0.6 and also upgrade the power supply to 24V. What about the heater cartridge? Do I have to replace it or can I simply run Auto-PID or should I replace it even if Auto-PID could work?

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: 12V heater cartridge on 24V possible?
December 20, 2016 03:08PM
For safety reasons alone, you should replace it. A 12V cartridge run at 24V produces 4 times its design power and is a serious fire risk.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 20, 2016 03:19PM
They are not that expensive. Trying to save a little money now is not worth the risks in my opinion.
December 21, 2016 05:10AM
I have heater cartridges for 24 Volts here (40 Watts), no problem. It was simply a question. Last but not least my delta nearly got on fire, so I will replace it or the whole hot-end. Many thanks.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
December 25, 2016 01:37PM
My solution to having a lot of 12v heater cartridges which needed using, and building a 24v printer was to use a 5A buck converter module sold for heavy goods vehicles to run 12v devices from 24v batteries. They cost about £5.

Wire the positive input to the converter to the hotend positive on duet, connect the negative input of the converter to the psu negative. Then send the positive output of the converter to the heater cartridge, return the negative from the heater cartridge to the negative of the hotend connector on the duet. The negative output of the converter is redundant as its tied to the input ground in the converter.

Since the pwm is applied to the negative, this works on every level, the converter is only energised when the hotend is on, and it can be pwm controlled. Plus you aren't pulsing the input to the converter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 01:46PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
December 26, 2016 02:15AM
I have 24 heater cartridges at home. The problem was that I did not want to dismount the effektor fully as it is made of cheap molded plastic. For example I cannot tighten the screws for the exchanged fans anymore. Luckily it was easier as I thought to remove the hotend. The effector could stay in place.
Also there is not much place at the Delta for any additional devices, but this may be a good idea for my CoreXY-design. It was hard to find suitable fans. I would have preferred Sunon, but I could only get 40x20mm fans whose are way to heavy at my favorite store.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login