Please help us test RRF 1.17 and DWC 1.14 release candidates
December 21, 2016 12:56PM
Hi Duet and Duet WiFi users,

I have just released firmware 1.17RC3 for Duet WiFi at [github.com] and for Duet 0.6/0.8.5 at [github.com]. As usual with git, to download the files you find there you must follow the link to the file and then press the Raw button.

Chrishamm has made a Duet Web Control 1.14 beta release available and I have included it in the above locations. Please upgrade the main firmware first, then check the version number in DWC to make sure the upgrade was successful, and only then upgrade Duet Web Control.

This is your last chance to report new bugs before I do the 1.17 release. So if you have a working 3D printer running RepRapFirmware and can spare a little time, please try out the new RepRapFirmware and Duet Web Control and let us know of any new problems you find (or that there are no problems). Please visit [github.com] and scroll down to and read the upgrade notes before you install the new firmware.

For those of you using the new G29 grid bed compensation feature, Duet Web Control now gives you a visual representation of the height map. Thanks to Chrishamm for his hard work on this. Here is an example which shows quite clearly the Y axis twist on my Ormerod.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

Re: Please help us test RRF 1.17 and DWC 1.14 release candidates
December 21, 2016 08:59PM
Hello,

I'm going to test it this weekend.
Can you give me information to use G29 instead G30 for grid bed compensation feature ?

Thank you and merry Chismas to all with your family and friends
December 22, 2016 02:51AM
ok since i updated to 1.17RC3 my X axis reversed itself. What was the Code that reversed it in my config file?
December 22, 2016 03:22AM
Darathy
ok since i updated to 1.17RC3 my X axis reversed itself. What was the Code that reversed it in my config file?

I covered this in the upgrade notes that I linked to.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 22, 2016 07:02AM
My Duet 0.6 updated with 1.17RC3 and DWC 1.14 on cartesian printer.
With G30 bed probe, this is the result.

How can I use the G29 code with more probe point ?
Attachments:
open | download - Capture d’écran 2016-12-22 à 22.59.42.png (71.8 KB)
December 22, 2016 09:51AM
- deleted - since off topic...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2016 03:45PM by Teilchen.
December 22, 2016 10:24AM
lolocaledo
Hello,

I'm going to test it this weekend.
Can you give me information to use G29 instead G30 for grid bed compensation feature ?

[reprap.org]
December 22, 2016 01:25PM
dc42
Darathy

I covered this in the upgrade notes that I linked to.

Oh sorry ,i didnt see that
December 23, 2016 11:49AM
Had already posted this on another forum, but figure I might as well post it here too in case someone wants to compare the results:

This is my Rostock Max V2 with a onyx rev7, 3mm boro glass, snowflake mounted on an FSR system (FSR positioned between the towers) with heatbed set to 70º and a 125mm radius, done with RC1 not RC3.

Here are older versions (done with pre RC1), with cold bed and different settings from before:

And the bed at temperature of the previous test:

December 23, 2016 08:13PM
Had a couple of hours this evening, so did the upgrade.
No real issues noted so far, printing a first test now with no problems noted.
I had to make a couple of changes as noted in WHATS_NEW, to re-reverse the X axis and correct the thermistor to suit my E3D.

If I had one minor item on the wish list, it would be for a single sheet of up to date notes on how to do the upgrade.

README takes me to the RepRap instructions, which tells me how to install the Arduino tools to get Bossac.
I dimly recall I don't need that anymore, but nothing in the web interface seems to indicate that firmware upgrade via that route is possible.
Didn't find anything in a quick google session, so give up and install the tools, and then the board package, but for some reason I don't find Bossac in the place specified.
Back to google, while looking for that issue, I find mention of sending firmware via the web interface.
... which doesn't work because iap.bin etc. etc. Back to google, rinse, repeat.

None of this is rocket surgery, and if I used the upgrade procedure more than once a year or so it would all be obvious. But I deal with loads of different electronics, and I see it from both sides.
As end user, I can end up screaming 'why does no-one write all this in one place, and date it so I can guess if it's out of date' several times a day.
Dealing with customers of my own products, I'm amazed how otherwise intelligent people seem incapable of remembering what they did last time, or of driving a search engine and reading the results.

Anyway, not in any way a complaint, just some user feedback.

Dave
December 24, 2016 03:12AM
Dave, thanks for your feedback. I have tried to cover the firmware update process for the wired Duets at [duet3d.com]. Let me know if you think something is missing.

December 24, 2016 04:26AM
That seems to cover it nicely, in fact the whole wiki seems excellent thumbs up

The new Duet Wifi looks good... am I right in thinking that it's wifi only, not wifi + wired ? dumb question, just needed to look at the connection diagram!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 04:30AM by epninety.
December 24, 2016 07:03AM
Thanks to all of you who provided feedback. I have now released version 1.17 of RepRapFirmware. There are no significant changes since RC3.

December 24, 2016 08:34AM
If i hit Pause now it will retract it abaut ~250mm instead of 4mm which is Written in the Pause.g:
; Pause macro file
G1 E-4 F2500		; retract 4mm
G91					; relative moves
G1 Z5 F5000			; raise nozzle 2mm
G90					; absolute moves
G1 X0 Y200 F5000	; move head out of the way of the print

And if i press resume it will only move 4mm and not the ~250 it retracted from the Pause button:
; Resume macro file
G1 R1 Z2		; move to 2mm above resume point
G1 R1			; lower nozzle to resume point
G1 E4 F2500		; undo the retraction

Any changes i need to make other then the ones stated on the github?
December 24, 2016 10:56AM
Is it always 250mm or does it depend on the amount of filament used before? Maybe you have to change from absolute ( M82 ) to relative ( M83 ) e-moves.
At the end of the macro you have to switch back to absolute.
December 24, 2016 11:45AM
o_lampe
Is it always 250mm or does it depend on the amount of filament used before? Maybe you have to change from absolute ( M82 ) to relative ( M83 ) e-moves.
At the end of the macro you have to switch back to absolute.

Well i'm not sure how much it retracts ,but its always same to almost to the end of the bowden tube. I do use M83 at the start of the Gcode ,but there are no commands in the macros to change to absolute ,so i have no idea why its doing it, it didnt do it before 1,17RC3 tho.
December 24, 2016 12:46PM
Darathy
If i hit Pause now it will retract it abaut ~250mm instead of 4mm which is Written in the Pause.g:
; Pause macro file
G1 E-4 F2500		; retract 4mm
G91					; relative moves
G1 Z5 F5000			; raise nozzle 2mm
G90					; absolute moves
G1 X0 Y200 F5000	; move head out of the way of the print

And if i press resume it will only move 4mm and not the ~250 it retracted from the Pause button:
; Resume macro file
G1 R1 Z2		; move to 2mm above resume point
G1 R1			; lower nozzle to resume point
G1 E4 F2500		; undo the retraction

Any changes i need to make other then the ones stated on the github?

Regardless of firmware version, you should always use M83 at the start of macro files that do relative extruder moves, such as your pause.g and resume.g, to ensure that extrusion is relative.

December 24, 2016 01:01PM
dc42

Regardless of firmware version, you should always use M83 at the start of macro files that do relative extruder moves, such as your pause.g and resume.g, to ensure that extrusion is relative.

Yes putting M83 in the macro files solved the problem. And Under machine properties theres a button "Download Hightmap" which doesnt seem to do anything when i press it. Neither in chrome or firefox.
December 24, 2016 01:26PM
Darathy
dc42

Yes putting M83 in the macro files solved the problem. And Under machine properties theres a button "Download Hightmap" which doesnt seem to do anything when i press it. Neither in chrome or firefox.

You need to run grid based bed mapping before there is a height map to download. I will create a wiki page on this soon, but in summary you use M557 to define the grid and G29 to probe it and create the height map.

December 25, 2016 06:32AM
*deleted*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 06:34AM by o_lampe.
December 25, 2016 06:49AM
I would like to try it with my Delta, but unfortunately the main files are gzip-compressed. Do I have to install an older version and upgrade by copying the files into it or do I need a clean www-directory and the Duet can handle these files without restrictions?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
December 26, 2016 02:27AM
Upgrade the firmware to 1.17, check it is working, and only then upgrade DWC to 1.14. The 1.17 firmware works with the gzipped files.

December 26, 2016 02:49AM
That sounds good especially as I do not know if the motors are okay or if some particles from the smoke may have damaged them, even though it was still printing normally until I removed the plug. Also I exchanged the heater cartridge, both fans and the heated bed. Later the day I will start (re-) commissioning and I hope I got the values right. Great firmware configurator.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
December 26, 2016 08:39AM
A couple of little things I found, -

When printing, if you accidentally press Home, the printer will stop printing and start to home, this always seems to stop DWC being able to connect with ajax errors until the printer is rebooted, I also noticed that sometimes it also stops the printer responding to pings.

The M570 command seems to not work anymore, my bed thermistor always reports a negative when it's first turned on, although adding kapton tape stops this happening randomly, turning the heater on alway causes a blip to negative numbers for a second on two, even if it's already hot. To get round that I set -

M570 H0 P99 T100

Since the update this doesn't stop "Error: Temperature reading fault on heater 0: sensor open circuit" from happening.

I think the default cancel.g /pause.g files need M83 added as they seem to retract alot more filament than they should. Checking github I see this in the samples for the minikossel but not the fisher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2016 11:25AM by DADIY.

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
December 26, 2016 05:20PM
It seems i am a little late. I had this thread open an didn't reload. So i missed that there has been a release. Nevertheless i just tested it with a Ormerod 2 and
the only oddness was that two times i had no temperature plot. First time i thought it would be stale browser cache so i did a shift-reload in firefox. Reconnecting solves this.
Might it be that the missing temperature plot might be due to early connect while booting. Couldn't reproduce this error.

I have only done one testprint so i can't tell if there are movement improvements. What i can say is that the motors sound somehow more aggressive. If i find major differences in performance to my earlier version i will report it.

But then the grid bed level calibration view is a *really* nice Christmas present. So a big thanks to all involved!

Tim
December 26, 2016 07:21PM
It might just be me but when I tighten a corner of my bed thereby lowing it then followed by a new scan the grid level plot result shows the corner had gone up. Has anyone else actually tried to adjust their bed using the plot?

1.17 seems great. Thanks for adding the Restart Duet option after saving the config.g file.
December 31, 2016 08:25AM
dc42
Dave, thanks for your feedback. I have tried to cover the firmware update process for the wired Duets at [duet3d.com]. Let me know if you think something is missing.
I have an Ormerod 1 with a V06 Duet circuit board
Having upgraded the firmware I am now in the process of updating the web interface from version 1.06 to 1.14
In the notes on updating the Duet Web Control it states:
To update DuetWebControl version 1.11 or later to a later version, simply upload the DuetWebControl.zip file via the General tab of the Settings page of DuetWebControl.

To update earlier versions of DuetWebControl, update the changed files individually via the General tab of the Settings page. Alternatively, take the SD card out of the Duet, put it in a PC, and copy the new files into /www and its subfolders on the PC,

As I have version 1.06 it appears that my only option is to copy the files directly onto the SD card plugged into a PC (there is a 'Upload files' option in V1.06 but it crashes with an AJAX error)
Comparing the files in the www folder of the SD card with the files in the DuetWebControl-1.14-b4 folder (downloaded from github yesterday) the file structure looks completely different.
In the downloaded folder, even after extracting all the files from DuetWebControl-1.14-b4.zip there are stlll some files in the extracted folder which are themselves compressed (.gz extension). Extracting these create separate folders for each compressed file such that I get a folder called reprap.htm containing a file called reprap.htm and a folder called language.xml containing a file called language.xml whereas these two files are in the root www folder on the SD card. These are just two of the many other compreesed files in the DuetWebControl-1.14-b4 folder. Other such files are favicon.ico.gz, dwc.css.gz and state.css.gz in the css folder, six .gz files in the fonts folder, dwc.js.gz in the js folder, and there may be others which I have not yet found.

The last sentence of the update instructions states: take the SD card out of the Duet, put it in a PC, and copy the new files into /www and its subfolders on the PC. Should I read that as 'Put the SD card in a PC and copy all the new files and folders [from the downloaded DuetWebControl-1.14-b4 folder] into the www folder on the SD card'?
Should I delete all the pre-existing files and folders from the www folder? or are there important files in the www folder which are not included in the DuetWebControl-1.14-b4 folder.?
Whatever I have tried so far results in the browse hanging not having found anything at the IP address of the Duet.
Can anyone enlighten me please.
December 31, 2016 08:36AM
Rename your www folder to something else as a backup, then create a new one and extract the DuetWebControl.bin zip into it. You should end up with files in www and in its subfolders css, js and fonts. Some of them will be .gz files. Leave them as they are.

December 31, 2016 01:14PM
Thank you very much dc42. That's got it!
January 02, 2017 02:14PM
dc42
Hi Duet and Duet WiFi users,

I have just released firmware 1.17RC3 for Duet WiFi at [github.com] and for Duet 0.6/0.8.5 at [github.com]. As usual with git, to download the files you find there you must follow the link to the file and then press the Raw button.

Chrishamm has made a Duet Web Control 1.14 beta release available and I have included it in the above locations. Please upgrade the main firmware first, then check the version number in DWC to make sure the upgrade was successful, and only then upgrade Duet Web Control.

This is your last chance to report new bugs before I do the 1.17 release. So if you have a working 3D printer running RepRapFirmware and can spare a little time, please try out the new RepRapFirmware and Duet Web Control and let us know of any new problems you find (or that there are no problems). Please visit [github.com] and scroll down to and read the upgrade notes before you install the new firmware.

For those of you using the new G29 grid bed compensation feature, Duet Web Control now gives you a visual representation of the height map. Thanks to Chrishamm for his hard work on this. Here is an example which shows quite clearly the Y axis twist on my Ormerod.

I was wondering about adding additional probe points when I noticed you have used 42 probe points. ( Poetic!)
Is there a limit to the volume of probe points?

Ormerod 113
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login